Race to 100

riding9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm getting bored watching races to 100. When can we start seeing top players playing multiple sets race to 11 or 13. What type of sets would you rather watch on PPV?

I usually pay for the event to support the stream but usually watch the first hour or so then don't turn back on until the last day if it's close.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm getting bored watching races to 100. When can we start seeing top players playing multiple sets race to 11 or 13. What type of sets would you rather watch on PPV?

I usually pay for the event to support the stream but usually watch the first hour or so then don't turn back on until the last day if it's close.

I preferred sets up to 25 or so in TAR match ups- perhaps different disciplines mixed in- 10 ball, 8 ball, etc.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I completely agree....even the action forum should be asking for this
More betting and more interesting

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The methodology used in the Pagulayan vs Kaci match in Vegas is one I like. Best two out of three races to 25.

This serves the viewers interest of not having to tune out in a blowout. A player can be down a set and trail in the second set and will still be in with a realistic chance of a comeback.

Races to 100 are unwatchable when the score becomes lopsided.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The methodology used in the Pagulayan vs Kaci match in Vegas is one I like. Best two out of three races to 25.

This serves the viewers interest of not having to tune out in a blowout. A player can be down a set and trail in the second set and will still be in with a realistic chance of a comeback.

gXfOlWO.gif

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I generally agree, but sometimes incredibly improbable comebacks occur- like Efren coming back from 17 games down and Alex coming back from over 20 games down.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Races to 200.

Race to Shane. Just keep playing ‘til Shane is ahead. Then we will all know who the best player is. In future, substitute the *best player* for Shane and just keep racing.

In all seriousness, 21 is enough and 17 is more than enough in a tournament where the pressure will make anyone in the world make some mistakes. For cash it doesn’t really matter, let them play it out however they negotiate it - but if we want cash match-ups that people will actually watch (and therefore will be supported by some kind of influx of external moolah), races to 100 aren’t very interesting.

Actually, I have no idea what the optimal match length is because the sample size of the long ones is so small and also limited to the best players playing against the other best players. Hence, it seems pretty pointless in the grand scheme of things.