Rogue Vs Revo Custom

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can definitely believe it would vary across different cue makers, but I can't understand why the 12.9 Revo would have less deflection than the 12.4. Maybe they're different in some other important way, like fram6878 says above.

Someone, I think it was Marek a while back, said that the larger diameter Becue had lower deflection than the narrower one.

Your logic works just fine but we know the construction of the Revo only approximately. So those who constructed the Revo at Predator know the answer for sure and we can only guess and make theories.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to see a test of that rather than just an assertion. One thing we know about deflection is that lighter weight produces lower deflection, and if the shaft is narrower it should be lighter weight. There's a reason the low deflection shafts started coming out with narrower diameters. I can't see any reason why the larger diameter would be lower deflection.

I doubt you'll see an actual scientific test anytime soon between cf shafts on a robot.

As for assertion, well, if your ever around a 12.4 and a 12.9 at the same time, it's really, really easy to test.

Put ob at center of end rail, put cb on spot. Line up for center hit and then shift over either left or right and shoot.

The above will give you your answers "if" you have a straight stroke. Then again, if your stroke isn't straight or you "think" it is but, it isn't, well....lol....then you'll only "think" you know but, wont.

These are the people that has told me they think the 12.9 is a "little" lower:

Danny Smith
Josh Roberts
Alex P.

There have been several others to say the same thing but, I'm not sure you would know them.

Now, are the three I mentioned robots? Nope, but, they are about as close to one as I have access to.

Like I said, do the test yourself and then you won't have to take an assertion.

Let us know what you find,

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can definitely believe it would vary across different cue makers, but I can't understand why the 12.9 Revo would have less deflection than the 12.4. Maybe they're different in some other important way, like fram6878 says above.

Someone, I think it was Marek a while back, said that the larger diameter Becue had lower deflection than the narrower one.

I forgot about Marek saying that about the becue shafts.

Add him to the list of people that thinks the larger diameter in "those particular brands" have less deflection.

Like you, I don't really understand why and it does seem like my 12.4 would be less but, it's just not for whatever reason.

The difference is miniscule to moderate depending on just how sensitive (strong) your abilities are.

Me? I can barely tell a difference but, it's there.

Jeff

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really wish there was a standardized test to measure deflection. I know you can spend 40 minutes finding the pivot point and all that, but I mean almost like an independent testing agency.

I have never really struggled that much to get dialed in on the deflection of a cue I have used. I have always played with very light cues with shafts less than13, so that might affect my perception.

That said, I have test hit some cues that had almost uncontrollable amounts of deflection. A Schurtz I tried once had so much deflection I just couldn't get my mind around how to adjust for it.

I know the generally accepted wisdom is that mass in the last 8" determines the deflection.

But my new Tascarella is very interesting. It is VERY light for a Tascarella, and has 12.5mm shafts.

But the interesting thing is that even with 1" Ivory ferrules hanging off the end of it, it seems really low deflection. My impression trying my firends BeCue is that they are actually very close. My previous Tasc was higher deflection

Its why I wish their was a standard measurement. Is my Tasc high deflection but because of how well it fits me I don't notice or is it really unusually low in deflection for a standard traditional SS jointed cue?

pinkspider

Crap user name, I know.
Silver Member
I really wish there was a standardized test to measure deflection. I know you can spend 40 minutes finding the pivot point and all that, but I mean almost like an independent testing agency.

I have never really struggled that much to get dialed in on the deflection of a cue I have used. I have always played with very light cues with shafts less than13, so that might affect my perception.

That said, I have test hit some cues that had almost uncontrollable amounts of deflection. A Schurtz I tried once had so much deflection I just couldn't get my mind around how to adjust for it.

I know the generally accepted wisdom is that mass in the last 8" determines the deflection.

But my new Tascarella is very interesting. It is VERY light for a Tascarella, and has 12.5mm shafts.

But the interesting thing is that even with 1" Ivory ferrules hanging off the end of it, it seems really low deflection. My impression trying my firends BeCue is that they are actually very close. My previous Tasc was higher deflection

Its why I wish their was a standard measurement. Is my Tasc high deflection but because of how well it fits me I don't notice or is it really unusually low in deflection for a standard traditional SS jointed cue?

hard to tell. it could well be that every shot is essentially swerving back so it gives the impression of low deflection. every one strokes a little differently and it makes comparing notes difficult.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i had someone tell me the reason the larger diameter was lower deflection
was because
with the smaller shaft the force of the stroke at the contact point is more "concentrated"
with the larger shaft it is relatively speaking more "spread out" over the surface of the cue ball
so the target and force is more "pin point" with the smaller diameter shaft and that is what causes the difference.
your thoughts?

Ty Arnold

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bbb is right. If both shafts were of equal weight the larger shaft would be of less average front end mass. Therefore creating less deflection.

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing to remember in all of this, is that one particular shaft brand, model and diameter can vary from another shaft brand, model and diameter in that the weights are not the same. For instance there is foam put in by hand at the Predator factory into the front end of Revo shafts and thus the shaft weights vary from one shaft to the next.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing to remember in all of this, is that one particular shaft brand, model and diameter can vary from another shaft brand, model and diameter in that the weights are not the same. For instance there is foam put in by hand at the Predator factory into the front end of Revo shafts and thus the shaft weights vary from one shaft to the next.
I'm very curious about filling procedure of the Revo's c.f. blanks at the Predator factory. I doubt it is done by hand and I guess they try to do their best to make them fairly close within one particular model (same diameters, same joint etc.).

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I talked with Predator they said since I already use a 12.5 MM shaft the 12.4 would be a better fit. They also said that the 12.9 and 12.4 deflection is almost the same. I am predominantly a Closed Bridge Player.

For deflection I just didn't want more than my LD I'm used to already has. My thought process is it's easier to adjust to lower deflection (start by using no-ish English then start adding it since I already aim center ball hit without mental adjustment).

I was going to ask for 30" but a trusted player said he never found a good playing 30" shaft. Also going to ask for the weight to be the same as my playing shafts now 103.5 grams (3.6 ounces).

I'm about to put the order in tonight. Then the 90ish day wait.

Hey Pete,

Did you make the purchase? If so, was it with 5he specs you mentioned above?

I was waiting for a pechauer because I was told I could get it in various weights. Well, it seems their not offering custom weight so, I'm probably gonna pull the trigger myself on the "revo custom".

BTW, what did you put on your shaft? Your name or "revo custom 12.4" or.....?

Jeff

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
i had someone tell me the reason the larger diameter was lower deflection
was because
with the smaller shaft the force of the stroke at the contact point is more "concentrated"
with the larger shaft it is relatively speaking more "spread out" over the surface of the cue ball
so the target and force is more "pin point" with the smaller diameter shaft and that is what causes the difference.
your thoughts?

This game is full of people who don't understand the basic physics involved.

How "spread out" or "pinpoint" the force between the cue and the ball might be has no effect on deflection. Tip-end mass of the cue is what matters. If the deflection is similar or the thinner one actually deflects more, that means that the thinner one is denser at the tip end. The construction details of each shaft would help explain why, but I'm guessing the thinner shaft has thicker walls to ensure it's strong enough.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Ģüśţāṿ;6472581 said:
Spend that money on lessons. Learn to play better position and shoot only on the center line of the CB (high/low/center). When you do that, the shaft can be low deflection, high deflection....it won't matter.

Of course that's much easier said than done. :p

You'll also run out a whole lot less, but hey, instructors got to live too, I guess.

No proper instructor of any kind will tell you to only play vertical center position, for anything other than training purposes. If they do, don't give them a single dime.