Alcohol vs No Alcohol while shooting....

OTB

I DIDN'T DO IT!!!!
Silver Member
Just looking for peoples input on this. Do the majority of the pool players drink while shooting? I do not, but I see in my area that it is 50/50. When I am at tournament I see most do not drink.....Not a pro tourn. but the state level. This question has been asked...can a small room sustain its self with no alcohol?? Do the majority of the players go for the alcohol rather than the pool.

RoadHustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope for me

I never drink when I play and couple years ago I noticed via graphing data about my practice routine that drinking (getting drunk) would affect my game for several days afterwards. So I quit drinking and haven't had a drink since last October and I doubt I ever will again unless I quit playing pool (never gonna happen).

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt if the tables alone can support a place.

I personally only drink and eat to support the place I play at and their waitresses. If everybody decides to stop drinking then chances are not many places will be hanging around very long.

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read somewhere in proposed olympic rules for billiards that alcohol was banned as performance enhancing.

Meh, played a lot both ways. Played a lot before I drank (13-23), played a lot while I drank (23-34), played a lot after I quit.

I had my best 9-ball experience (6-pack) while drunk. I have played very poorly and very well both drunk and sober.

I'd honestly say that I was a bit more consistent when I was drinking--the booze allowed me to better deal with jacka$$es and loud music.

cc8ball

Go Red Sox!
Silver Member
I drink when I play...almost always.

"It's goog to to be dunk"

That's a text I sent a friend after a long night of pool and booze. We still laugh about it :grin:.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
I never drink without a glass.

If the room is mainly for league play, It'll have a hard time surviving. League players for the most part are there for the drinking just as much as pool. At least that's what I've notice. Myself included. It's nice to unwind with Jack,Johnny, or Jim.:wink: 2 drinks are my limit, and I'm usually there 4 hrs, twice a week. I would guess that 75% of the players drink on league nights.

There is a small room in my area that has no alcohol, and no kitchen. They have a 6X12, a tight GC1, and 3 other GC's, and a few BB. It's never crowded, but does alright. Mainly serious players(golf and 1P) and Straight pool. I've played straight pool league there a few times, and the tables are always clean, and if it were closer, it would be my main room.
The biggest problem is keeping kids from using it as a hang-out.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know of any pool room at least in New England, that is still open and does not have a good bar / food business going.

Before the smoking ban and the computer/video gaming went mainstream, there were plenty of all ages rooms with no bars.

Look at how many people post about rooms that charge "a lot" for table time and it's like 4-5 an hour LOL, or complain that they have to pay for coffee or buy a few drinks to keep cheap table time. Unless you are in some weird black hole of an area where there is a huge amount of serious players that are there all the time, it's a dead business model I think.

I don't drink myself really but I almost always have a beer when I play to support the room, if not I have a few cups of coffee at least and get drinks for my son.

I can't win when I drink, it's tough enough to focus for a few hours during a tournament without having to deal with crap messing with my brain. My son actually tells me to go have a beer if I play him in a tournament so he can win hehe.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I quit drinking (while playing), when I realized how difficult it is to focus while playing with a buzz. Drinking makes me comfortable, and getting too comfortable is never a good thing.

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I drink while I do practically everything ... so I went to Alcoholics Anonymous.

Now everything is ok .. I still drink as much as ever, I just use a different name. ;)

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
I like both ways.
I notice I tend to hold back less (less dumping) after a few when playing family and friends who can't play too well. That can aggravate some haha
I have a level of drinking I reach, that at least I think I'm playing like a champ!
But........once I go too far I fall off QUICK!! lol

sebroy9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No drinks for me. It's bad for your health and it makes you dumber under the influence.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I usually have a drink in each hand cause I hate to drink alone. J/K

No Booze for me. Ruins my game.

Player

I'm your huckleberry
Silver Member
I do some of my best shooting between 2 to 5 beers. Seems to keep me from overthinking shots and it kinda loosens me up some. Sort of brings out the instinct shooting.

Ryan R

Registered
I learned to shoot in a bar and didn't drink (14-20) I would clean the clocks of older guys who would come in and get drunk after work. Now I'm 35, Depends on if I am being serious that night or working on my game. If it is just some buds and I horsing around, I will get flat out blasted. I generally get a little better after a drink or three, But the falloff after that is steep and I will be flat out lousy. I am right at home drinking iced tea and shooting someone seriously. Or drinking to excess and having fun with friends. Just depends on the company.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just looking for peoples input on this. Do the majority of the pool players drink while shooting? I do not, but I see in my area that it is 50/50. When I am at tournament I see most do not drink.....Not a pro tourn. but the state level. This question has been asked...can a small room sustain its self with no alcohol?? Do the majority of the players go for the alcohol rather than the pool.
Not serious players when they are playing. If they feel they have to they have a problem.