El Cheapo vs. Quality balls............

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A thread on here the other day asked about the origin of a set of Centennial-looking balls. Well i was bored so i did a little digging. What i found is that they are a polyester resin and not phenolic resin(the good stuff). I contacted Aramith and they answered quite quickly which i thought was cool considering they're in Belgium and the 'rona goin' on. They said the big problem with poly balls is that various fillers are used to bring the balls up to the spec weight and its these fillers that cause the table burn issues. Also said they are not suitable for commercial use, gameroom balls only. BTW, these balls are listed at $395 on-line and they can be purchased from various Asian on-line sellers for around FORTY bux. Talk about mark-up!!

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A thread on here the other day asked about the origin of a set of Centennial-looking balls. Well i was bored so i did a little digging. What i found is that they are a polyester resin and not phenolic resin(the good stuff). I contacted Aramith and they answered quite quickly which i thought was cool considering they're in Belgium and the 'rona goin' on. They said the big problem with poly balls is that various fillers are used to bring the balls up to the spec weight and its these fillers that cause the table burn issues. Also said they are not suitable for commercial use, gameroom balls only. BTW, these balls are listed at $395 on-line and they can be purchased from various Asian on-line sellers for around FORTY bux. Talk about mark-up!!

Where did you find the info on the materials used to make the balls? No real dog in this fight as I don't own a ball set form American Heritage but it is worth pointing out they make two sets in the exact same style: The Renaissance which retails for around $400 and the Heirloom which retails for around $170. The Renaissance set appears to be of much higher quality vs The Heirloom set having inlaid numbers and a much deeper shine that appears to be phenolic. The less expensive Heirloom set do not appear to have inlaid numbers and are not as shiny which is consistent with a polyester resin.

Renaissance:
50043813696_e0d9578736_o.jpg

Heirloom:
50043813676_3548c300b5_o.jpg

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where did you find the info on the materials used to make the balls? No real dog in this fight as I don't own a ball set form American Heritage but it is worth pointing out they make two sets in the exact same style: The Renaissance which retails for around $400 and the Heirloom which retails for around $170. The Renaissance set appears to be of much higher quality vs The Heirloom set having inlaid numbers and a much deeper shine that appears to be phenolic. The less expensive Heirloom set do not appear to have inlaid numbers and are not as shiny which is consistent with a polyester resin.

Renaissance:
50043813696_e0d9578736_o.jpg

Heirloom:
50043813676_3548c300b5_o.jpg
One of the Asian sales sites said poly resin. Don't remember which one as i was going thru a bunch of them. The balls i located could be the Heirlooms, not 100% positive. Even if those Ren's ARE phenolic, there is NO way they're worth 400bux.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the Asian sales sites said poly resin. Don't remember which one as i was going thru a bunch of them. The balls i located could be the Heirlooms, not 100% positive. Even if those Ren's ARE phenolic, there is NO way they're worth 400bux.

IMO, no ball set is worth $400. Aramith Tournaments wholesale for under $200; Centennials $220.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, no ball set is worth $400. Aramith Tournaments wholesale for under $200; Centennials $220.
Where can you buy Tournaments at cost? I guess you have an account with a dealer? Most people have to pay street/web prices.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
First off I need not impress any one with a $400.00. Set of balls. If the roll right, look relatively clean I am ok with anything. Could be an Oakland Radiers Team set, or NHL Team, they are balls.

Fancy set will not improve your play, may make you feel better, if so go for it.

E-bay has a set called Loto, they look ok, but few reviews..

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fancy set will not improve your play, may make you feel better, if so go for it.

Who said anything about balls making you play better or feel better? The more expensive sets (not worth what they retail for, IMO) are made from higher quality material and will play better than a less expensive set made from inferior material. The jury is still out regarding materials used in the Renaissance set.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Who said anything about balls making you play better or feel better? The more expensive sets (not worth what they retail for, IMO) are made from higher quality material and will play better than a less expensive set made from inferior material. The jury is still out regarding materials used in the Renaissance set.

Well a lot of money of the cost of premium Pool Ball set is because of advertising, sponsorship, and the consumer pays the bill.

Pick a New Car, and New Car, see how much is spend on TV advertising Print Ads, consider pay the bill. Advertising & Sponsorship pay off. Consumer eats the bill.

It is absolutely mind boggling to me to see the amount of money spent on product advertising.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Be careful responding to that cat. Its like getting sucked into some bizarre black-hole. I don't think a Phd in logic could sort out a lot of it. Seriously, i know a few with nice home tables and ALL have purchased high-quality tournament grade balls. It has NOTHING to do with impressing ANYBODY. They just want top-shelf stuff and can afford it.Its ok to be a cheapskate, just don't berate others for going hi-grade.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Be careful responding to that cat. Its like getting sucked into some bizarre black-hole. I don't think a Phd in logic could sort out a lot of it. Seriously, i know a few with nice home tables and ALL have purchased high-quality tournament grade balls. It has NOTHING to do with impressing ANYBODY. They just want top-shelf stuff and can afford it.Its ok to be a cheapskate, just don't berate others for going hi-grade.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm aware.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This just my opinion:

Renaissance balls are just about as good as some of the older AH tables. Buyer beware.

There's a sucker born every day.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off I need not impress any one with a $400.00. Set of balls. If the roll right, look relatively clean I am ok with anything. Could be an Oakland Radiers Team set, or NHL Team, they are balls.

E-bay has a set called Loto, they look ok, but few reviews..

You buy cheap. we know you find price a more important factor than all others.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...X5knIEHS7mDVgQ1QIoC3oECAsQDA&biw=1366&bih=625

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps you can elaborate? Poor personal experience?

IF he owns a set I am sure he is perturbed about the price/ quality ratio.

I would be too.

there is always increased risk when purchasing newcomer's products. To me, it is worth a little more to know the product I purchase is what I expect.

Something like pool balls...I'd rather pay 20% more and buy from an authorized retailer than save a few bucks on blammazon or fleabay.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm working on it, but I'm not looking to start a "dumpster fire."

Have you heard back from Mr. aaron Lin?
I'm not holding my breath. Regardless of who made them, all are probably under contract not to disclose. To be honest, i'd just walk from this whole deal. Go get some top-shelf Aramith or Cyclop and put these cheap-ass balls in your rear-view mirror.