Low deflection shaft

What is the ideal bore size in the front end of the shaft to make it a low deflection shaft? Is anybody out here know what the hole size and how deep is the hole of the shafts below?

314 - mm?
314 2 - mm?
WD700 or any mezz shaft - mm?

Long drill bit is quite expensive and would like to buy the perfect size. Hope i will find some answer here.

Regards

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the ideal bore size in the front end of the shaft to make it a low deflection shaft? Is anybody out here know what the hole size and how deep is the hole of the shafts below?

314 - mm?
314 2 - mm?
WD700 or any mezz shaft - mm?

Long drill bit is quite expensive and would like to buy the perfect size. Hope i will find some answer here.

Regards

It depends on what your shaft diameter is now, and even more important, the diameter of you tennon.
Mezz shafts aren't bored out very deep, Predator shaft are constructed in a different way.
A drill bit might wander off, have you thought about using a long thin endmill?

Just an update to this, I just replaced a ferrule for predator 314 2 and did make some measurement.

The bore is 5 inches deep and the bore size is 7.2 mm.

Thanks to all who replied.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just an update to this, I just replaced a ferrule for predator 314 2 and did make some measurement.

The bore is 5 inches deep and the bore size is 7.2 mm.

Thanks to all who replied.

Take a look at how a 314 shafts in constructed. It`s not made the way you think it is.
The cutouts are done before the shaft is glued together if I have understood it correctly.
Just removing a bunch of material has it`s own problems.
I would recomend you make a few shafs and experiment with ferrule length, depth and diameter of bore and tennon.