League Night Went Great til End of Last Match

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
So I play in the UPA league in central NJ. It's called pockets on all shots unless you are calling a safe.

There are 50 points up for grabs every week. After the first 4 matches we are tied 20-20. Now if the player that is rated lower than the person they are shooting wins at least half of their total, they win some of the points so it's not always gonna be a 10 point score per match.

I get called up to shoot the last match & I'm a 5. Find out I'm playing against a new shooter and she is coming in as a 2. So I have to win 4-2. Forgot to mention, I'm about 600 pounds, have 3 herniated discs and had back surgery 5 years ago & the past year I've been in tons of pain again, it's very hard for me to stand or sit for any period of time. I still try to shoot because it's the only fun I have anymore so I try to deal with the pain. Usually after 4 or 5 racks the pain is close to unbearable but I wouldn't quit.

First rack, I win easily. 2nd rack I break, miscue but 4 balls hit a rail and she wants to play it out as is. It comes down to me having 1 ball left and she has 4 balls left. I scratch, she runs her 4 balls and misses the 8 but I have no good shot but to try a safe. so I try to slow roll the cue ball to just graze my ball and freeze it to the 8. I hit the ball too soft and with the horrible table roll I miss my ball completely and give her ball in hand. I say screw it and knock the 8 in with my cue giving her the win without shooting the 8 in.

so it's 1-1. the next 3 racks I win fairly easily leaving her with 6, 3 & 5 balls on the table. I go and shake her hand saying good match. Now, the captain of her team is the one who kept score during our match. She goes up to the LO and starts complaining that the score keeper and I cheated because I only sunk 2 8 balls. So the LO, the Team Captain & the lady start getting into it. All of a sudden, the lady I played didn't speak English any longer. So everyone was trying to explain how I did sink 4 8 balls and we played 5 racks, but she wanted no part of it. We even tried to call my friend over on my team to explain it to her in Spanish. She wanted no part of it and just started walking out saying how we were all a bunch of cheaters.

So after feeling good for winning my match which isn't too often anymore with the back, soaked from sweating because it was so hot in the bar, we all get accused of cheating and it puts me in a horrible mood for the night.

Now I wonder if she quits the league after 1 night or if she will return next week with a possible apology.

Last edited:

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
what did your team's score sheet say???? keep score as proof....

no problem......... you won

do an unsportsman like complaint on the team and file it with the LO

Kim

SLIM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just look at it as "$hit happens"

you never know.
Maybe next week she will be able to speak english again & you strike up a conversation.
Things move on from there & eventually you date, get married, have kids.
You will laugh about this incident for the next thirty or forty years.

Stranger things have happened,

slim

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you sink 4 8 balls? We're any games conceded?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My night can top yours.:D

We played a team of 4-2's ....1-3....1-5...and 1 -7

The 2's put a ass whipping and a half on my 2-4's and almost beat my 6. One of the 2's had a break and run.. Talking 9 ball here

Then the last match their 7 decides to make me his rack boy on the way to beating me 16-4.

Ok now that's outa the way...on to the crazy part.

My 2 starts drinking...dont get too drunk but drunk enough that she decides she has the hots for one of my team mates. Problem is her husband...also a team mate does not take too kindly of her interest in our team mate who was keeping score.

Now he was doing a pretty good job of ignoring her advances from what I was told. I never saw any of this as I was busy playing. Her husband tels her fo get up that they at goin home. Well they argue on the way out. Dont know what she said but she put an emphasis on her words with a slap upside his face.

We had a storm going on and the lights went out a couple of times during my match.

When I was finally over I left only to find some traffic lights out...some wires hanging down ....flopping around and sparks flying .

Long detour home and over slept resulting I. Being an hour lat for work this morning.

Thankfully I have never had a night like last night before and hope I don't again.

Gona be interesting at league next week I surmise .:D

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I need to remember these stories, for the next time something goofy happens at league.

Cuz we never get stuff as crazy as this.

OK, maybe sometimes....... :p

gregnice37

Silver Member
to answer a couple questions. the scores beet is kept. the guy that is head of corporate out in Vegas is a pro player named Frank. No clue what jis last name is. he come up with a scoring system called SSR. it's his pride & joy. so every make, miss, safe, foul, voluntary foul, timeout & miss & foul are marked. there is even a different symbol for solids & stripes. very detailed, also a vox to mark what happened on the break. so a copy of the score was definitely kept.

and yes, I pocketed all 4 of my 8 balls, the only game conceded was the game I gave to her.

Lorider, that is crazy. hope the incident doesn't break your team up.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greg, I stopped by this week even though my team had a bye. I left early. It was freezing in there. Took a pizza home.

gregnice37

Silver Member
Greg, I stopped by this week even though my team had a bye. I left early. It was freezing in there. Took a pizza home.

Joel, you must have left quickly as I was there at 830 and you were gone. I thought the AChris was perfect until I played and got soaked.

Think we play you next week, hopefully I get another round against you to make up for the last time when I played like crap.