Drills and Instruction

kenexcelon

Registered
Any instructional and practice drill based resources that you guys recommend for a noob? This includes websites, books, or DVDs.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Joe Tucker's Guaranteed Improvements. Every drill in his book gives you a scale to rate/compare your progress.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2 excellent suggestions thus far. I would add Mark Wilson's book. If you are really serious about getting good at pool, this book is the absolute best resource available. Period. Joe Tucker and Dr Dave's materials are both excellent. Jerry Brieseth's DVD's are superb (he was Mark Wilson's mentor). You master what is in those 4 sources and you can be as good as you want to be.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look at the for sale forum. I have some good stuff for sale. DVDs and books.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Books and instruction

Any instructional and practice drill based resources that you guys recommend for a noob? This includes websites, books, or DVDs.

Books and videos are great and I agree with those suggested below.

But books and videos cannot watch you play and cannot give you feedback on your game.

If you're new to the game, NOW is the time to seek an instructor who can eliminate any bad habits before they become ingrained. Very important.

Instructors charge anywhere from $20 to $200 an hour. Those that give free lessons, tend not to be qualified to teach. I've seen many of these folks since I began teaching in 1965, and they often hurt the students game as much as help it.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I strongly agree with Donny on this. Once you have spent some time with an instructor building solid fundamentals you can use the information in the books and dvds to help you practice.
Find an instructor in your area who can teach fundamentals.
Contact Scott Lee on this forum or in the instructor forum to find out when he will be in your area. He travels all the time.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Joe tuckers books and vids
Byrnes Books and vids
Max Eberle's books and powerful pool dvd
Jerry Briesath videos

And the one must have book that encompasses everything you need to become a better player is Mark Wilson's Play Great Pool.

kenexcelon

Registered
Thanks for the responses guys. I live in Eastern Tennessee and searched for instructors already. I pretty much came up empty though.

I strongly agree with Donny on this. Once you have spent some time with an instructor building solid fundamentals you can use the information in the books and dvds to help you practice.
Find an instructor in your area who can teach fundamentals.
Contact Scott Lee on this forum or in the instructor forum to find out when he will be in your area. He travels all the time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott Lee travels and would likely come to you were you to contact him. Stevie Moore is in Spartanburg, SC which shouldn't be terribly far for you. Stan Shuffett is one hour South of Louisville. All 3 are excellent.

kenexcelon

Registered
Thanks for the info. I'll definitely look these guys up. I'll have to plan this when I take some days off probably, lol. I've played for a couple years on and off just for fun. However, I'm now wanting to actually improve. I can definitely see the benefit of one-on-one instruction.

Scott Lee travels and would likely come to you were you to contact him. Stevie Moore is in Spartanburg, SC which shouldn't be terribly far for you. Stan Shuffett is one hour South of Louisville. All 3 are excellent.