getting used to a low deflection shaft

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have had an OB2 plus for quite a while now but just can't get used to it. I really can't see a difference in potting balls. I think it takes English better though it does have a Morakami soft tip and I have a medium Talisman on my maple shafts. Perhaps it is the taper (conical) and my maple has a pro taper. My question is this: How long did you play with your LD shaft before you were comfortable using it as your player in a tournament or money match setting? Thanks in advance for you input.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have had an OB2 plus for quite a while now but just can't get used to it. I really can't see a difference in potting balls. I think it takes English better though it does have a Morakami soft tip and I have a medium Talisman on my maple shafts. Perhaps it is the taper (conical) and my maple has a pro taper. My question is this: How long did you play with your LD shaft before you were comfortable using it as your player in a tournament or money match setting? Thanks in advance for you input.

It may not be for you. My response to my first Predator shaft was immediate and positive, and I never looked back.

Why do you use the term 'potting balls'?

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It may not be for you. My response to my first Predator shaft was immediate and positive, and I never looked back.

Why do you use the term 'potting balls'?

"potting" I believe is a British term for shooting balls into the pocket. I believe it usually refers to snooker.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Buy a Predator shaft. By the end of next week you'll be making balls like you never dreamed of. Monster cut shots will seem like child's play. :smile:

Eagleshot

Mark Nanashee
Silver Member
As stated earlier, a LD shaft might not be the best for your game.

To answer your question, it takes me roughly 1 month to "re" adjust to a regular shaft. I have been playing with LD shafts for 10 years.

It will also depend upon how much practice you are putting in.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
One and only LD shaft

I bought Meucci Black dot cue, Right away I had problems with miss cueing and the never ending search for the right tip started.

After about 6 months the whole cue started to fall apart , wrap section and the shaft started to delaminate ...

A friend of mine had some custom cues for sale.
From the very first shot with a solid maple shaft after playing with my black dot shaft I realized that the LD Meucci shaft was hurting my game or my cue ball control.

Now I can almost shoot with any tip I install,
Switching back to a solid maple shaft was like have a cool glass of water for the first time.

Personally I feel I got bull shitted and the meucci Black dot shaft is the worst shaft I had ever used.....

At the same time I had also bought my own cue repair lathe and started to retip cue for some of our local players .................

One of my first tip installation jobs I got a predator shaft in that was extremely warped.

Then more black dot shafts came in and the were delaminating too.

Over the years almost every laminated LD shaft I have gotten in for repairs has some kind of major problem, warping, delaminating, paper thin tenons breaking.
Paper thin ferrules cracking.

I have posted what my experience has been with all the problems I have ran into on laminated LD shafts.
Its been odd because allot people say their Laminated LD shaft are trouble free.

I talk to some cue makers who say the are seeing the same problems I have been having and from time to time I have someone from across this country send me their Laminated LD shaft for repairs and the shafts really should be replaced because delamination, warping issue's or tenon issues.

I have tried one ( non ) laminated LD shaft that I did like the way it played and I am in the middle of making one for myself just to see if I will like it or not.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me it took just about 2 months to change from a 314-1 to a Z2.

In casual play I could hardly tell them apart and made the same shots with each one.
But when the pressure was on the old muscle memory would snap in and I would miss simple stuff. After playing exclusively for 2 months with it (2-3 hours per day) I finally tuned my muscles senses and memory to the new shaft.

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried one and never got use to it. I pocketed balls fine and could move the cue fine, but I found my touch game to be practically nonexistent. I lost more money playing with that LD shaft than any period in my life. As soon as I switched back to my regular shaft, it was like night and day. I'm not talking a subtle difference...I'm talking significant (I could probably give myself the 7 playing with the LD shaft).

I have come to terms that a LD shaft just isn't for me.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I started my LD experience only a few short years ago. I picked up a Predator 314 CAT that had been take down to 12 mm. I loved it in close quarters but not so much for full table shots because the squirt was so low that the swerve made the CB cross the line.

But...like Ms. Crimi, I was not going back. So... I picked up a McDermott i2 & an OB Classic. I now have all 3 of them & I also picked up two OB Pros.

As to the adjustment time frame, I did it in one 2 hour session. The thing is that I have been using english for 45 years at that time & most of it by the 'parallel' method. I'm not mechanical with it, I've always played it by feel.

I doubt that I helped you here but I wish you luck & I would not go back unless you just shoot so much better with your old shaft & if so then why not just stick with it.

Best 2 You & All,
Rick

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started my LD experience only a few short years ago. I picked up a Predator 314 CAT that had been take down to 12 mm. I loved it in close quarters but not so much for full table shots because the squirt was so low that the swerve made the CB cross the line.

But...like Ms. Crimi, I was not going back. So... I picked up a McDermott i2 & an OB Classic. I now have all 3 of them & I also picked up two OB Pros.

As to the adjustment time frame, I did it in one 2 hour session. The thing is that I have been using english for 45 years at that time & most of it by the 'parallel' method. I'm not mechanical with it, I've always played it by feel.

I doubt that I helped you here but I wish you luck & I would not go back unless you just shoot so much better with your old shaft & if so then why not just stick with it.

Best 2 You & All,
Rick

Very interesting observation English. I am coming to the conclusion that the maple shaft is for me. But I have noticed that I play better on a 7 foot Diamond with the LD shaft because of the speed of the table and soft english moves you around rather than a power stroke. I'm now thinking it might be my 14.1 shaft on a 9 footer too.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I am loving my ob2 plus with our hard ki-tech. I am usually not a hard tip guy anymore but using one on the OB2+ to seemed to brighten the feel up if that makes any sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had always used a maple shaft. Tried going the soft tip route. I think one can make to many changes. I got a new custom and although I always used a maple shaft but the deflection on these shafts were to much. Decided to give a 314-2 a try. I love it. I will also add that at 46 I have changed my game some. Less spin happy these days. Really has helped me be more consistent and yes I still get position.