Video analysis for nrhoades

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Practice

Practice, Practice, Practice........ I only watched a little over 8 mins and what I see all through out the video is a guy who is a good shot maker but does not think at all about position, You took so many shots that you just hit hard and had no idea where that cue ball was going. Why re-rack after a miss? Keep going, there are a lot of balls on the table. Work out the rack. You finally got threw a rack, but ended up with poor position on the break shot. You did make the shot but had no energy going into the rack, getting stuck. Then you attempted some type of shot from the sky. Why not play safe when you get stuck like that, then start over with a re-rack? Teach yourself some defense along with offense. Here is something to challenge yourself. Don't shoot a shot unless you ask yourself: what ball am I trying to get the cue ball to for my next shot. Even if you do not make it to that spot, at least you attempted it. I hope you take all this well, it is meant to get you on the right track. Good Luck & keep practicing 14.1
I can see that 14.1 is in your blood.... Welcome to this special group!

nrhoades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Practice, Practice, Practice........ I only watched a little over 8 mins and what I see all through out the video is a guy who is a good shot maker but does not think at all about position, You took so many shots that you just hit hard and had no idea where that cue ball was going. Why re-rack after a miss? Keep going, there are a lot of balls on the table. Work out the rack. You finally got threw a rack, but ended up with poor position on the break shot. You did make the shot but had no energy going into the rack, getting stuck. Then you attempted some type of shot from the sky. Why not play safe when you get stuck like that, then start over with a re-rack? Teach yourself some defense along with offense. Here is something to challenge yourself. Don't shoot a shot unless you ask yourself: what ball am I trying to get the cue ball to for my next shot. Even if you do not make it to that spot, at least you attempted it. I hope you take all this well, it is meant to get you on the right track. Good Luck & keep practicing 14.1
I can see that 14.1 is in your blood.... Welcome to this special group!

14-1StraightMan: Yep, you're right! I anticipated this advice. I have another 30 min session to upload where I pointed to the next ball on every shot. I didn't shoot as well, but it did expose the thought process that I should always be using.

When I upload it I'll add it to this thread, and you will have a better idea of what I was thinking. Thanks!!!

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Taking your eye off the ball

Here I used a marker to show my intended position. Need to work on speed control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En2SBT5JdKs

The first ball you missed could have been do to taking your eye off the object ball. This happens alot when going into the rack or even a group of balls as the player is not exactly sure where the white will travel. The human eye is lightening fast so you will do this many times and question whether or not you did. Take a minute or two to study the 90 degree angle that the white ball will start at when going into the rack. When you do that then your able to focus more on watching the object ball drop, when I miss an easy shot and don't evn raddle the pocket - while attempting to go into the stack - I took my eye off the ball. It would make sense that this would occur the most when shooting the break shot (not the opening break shot). That is why it's great to just practice the break shots and again not the opening breaqk shot but rather when u pocket a ball and the cue ball must travel towrds a stack of many other balls. Hope this helps you. nrhoads

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, what you were doing this time was much more constructive than in the last video. That being said, I have to tell you that there's a whole bunch of fundamental problems you'll have to address if you want to improve. If you are serious about improving I'll make a suggestion, for FWIW.

You need to get together with Joe Tucker. I don't know if he's still affiliated with Snookers or if he even goes in there anymore but I know he's in the area & shouldn't be too hard to find.

If you ran into him in Snookers & asked him to watch you for a few minutes & give some advice as to where to go from there I'm sure he'd be happy to do so. But if it required going to his house & paying for a lesson then that's what I'd do if at all possible.

I'd start out by asking him to be totally honest about what he sees when he watches you. Then ask his opinion on how he thinks you should proceed. Then follow his advice. Trust him, he knows what he's doing.

If that's not in your budget then you could try this. There are a lot of good players at Snookers. Problem is they're usually gambling playing 9ball. But if they're on a table by themself or just hanging around then ask if they have a little time to help you out. Buy them a beer or 2. There's no substitute for 1 on 1 time with someone who knows the game. You'll improve 10x faster than you will on your own.

But your best bet is to get with Joe. One thing you don't want to do is take advice from bad players. That can hinder more than help. Just cuz they may be able to run a rack of 9ball or 14.1 doesn't mean they know what they're doing. Search out the really good players for help.

Good Luck

Last edited:

nrhoades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, what you were doing this time was much more constructive than in the last video. That being said, I have to tell you that there's a whole bunch of fundamental problems you'll have to address if you want to improve. If you are serious about improving I'll make a suggestion, for FWIW.

You need to get together with Joe Tucker. I don't know if he's still affiliated with Snookers or if he even goes in there anymore but I know he's in the area & shouldn't be too hard to find.

If you ran into him in Snookers & asked him to watch you for a few minutes & give some advice as to where to go from there I'm sure he'd be happy to do so. But if it required going to his house & paying for a lesson then that's what I'd do if at all possible.

I'd start out by asking him to be totally honest about what he sees when he watches you. Then ask his opinion on how he thinks you should proceed. Then follow his advice. Trust him, he knows what he's doing.

If that's not in your budget then you could try this. There are a lot of good players at Snookers. Problem is they're usually gambling playing 9ball. But if they're on a table by themself or just hanging around then ask if they have a little time to help you out. Buy them a beer or 2. There's no substitute for 1 on 1 time with someone who knows the game. You'll improve 10x faster than you will on your own.

But your best bet is to get with Joe. One thing you don't want to do is take advice from bad players. That can hinder more than help. Just cuz they may be able to run a rack of 9ball or 14.1 doesn't mean they know what they're doing. Search out the really good players for help.

Good Luck

Thanks! I know him.

Last edited:

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's interesting, I can't imagine Joe teaching someone to put massive amounts of reverse english on every breakshot.

Good Luck

nrhoades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's interesting, I can't imagine Joe teaching someone to put massive amounts of reverse english on every breakshot.

I over-use the reverse english. Joe has a has a Racking Secrets video that better explains when and when not to use it.

Last edited:

nrhoades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's the DVD cover.

Attachments

• racksecrets.jpg
    racksecrets.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Certain breakshots require that english but you're using it on almost every breakshot. Also applying way more than necessary. About the only thing it's accomplishing is causing a lot of misses. Again, good luck.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I'd like to offer you a generic concept regarding how to open lanes in straight pool.

At about 9:22 or so in your first video, you had two balls near the bottom rail. I couldn't really see, but maybe the 7 and the 4. You took the 4 off and went up table. If you wanted to go up table, fine, but ... you could have accomplished the same type angle on the 4 after taking off the 7 first. This would have opened up the left corner pocket better while you were up table and that ball hadda go anyway.

Just a way of thinking in general. Nice shooting.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
2nd Video

Nate,
I am happy to see that you are trying to get your next shot position with that marker but you need to do without it. First of all, it is too hard to mark a spot when the cue ball goes into a cluster. If you want to use it, only use it when you are not breaking up balls. Second, I notice that a a few shots that the edge of the marker stops the roll of the cue ball. It stops the true roll of the cue. No good.
You are still re-racking after a miss. There are enough balls on the table to be worked out. When you are playing a match and your opponent misses. You might have a few balls on the table.... work it out.
Good comments above. Stop using that English on your break shots. It is taking the cue ball below the rack. Try using something else and see if you get better results.

You are one of the Lucky ones here on the Forum to get great advice from Danny. I do not remember seeing good comments like that often, so take heed & learn.