new video for critiques

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
can't believe the amount of attention and help you've all given me, and BlackJack offering to step in as well.

wish i could play scotch doubles with All y'all!

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
can't believe the amount of attention and help you've all given me, and BlackJack offering to step in as well.

wish i could play scotch doubles with All y'all!

We'll have to do that Scotch Doubles at Super Billiards Expo next year !!!

-Steve

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
glurghehahtha...

while waiting for CDs to burn today, i was shooting some, ran a really nice clean 29+ (didn't have the count before the 1st rack because i was sandwiching this in between stints of working, so should only count it as 29, but it might have been as high as 35), and had an absolute Wet Dream of a break shot: ob about 5" from the side pocket, cue ball back about 18" at a perfect natural angle where you'd Really have to work to miss the top 2 balls of the stack. i mean, the kind of shot you wouldn't miss in, say, 200 tries, not just 100.

but as i watched [ahem] the cue ball go perfectly into the top of the stack and open it leaving the cue ball surrounded by a shooting gallery and 3 break balls already formed, the object ball hit the point.

damn. woulda been a cinch 40+.

Last edited:

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
i'm still battling both Youtube and Vimeo, each of which has a vendetta against me putting up video in the format i'd like. Vimeo will let me keep it in portrait mode, but the audio is a quarter second ahead of the video.

that said, i've just put up one, and would love to hear comments.

https://vimeo.com/53963607

before you start, i wasn't Trying to kill my break ball a few shots in -- it just looks that way! i thought i could bump the 15 out of the way and leave the 8 there. after that, i still changed my mind about the pattern out a few times. and Sparkle: you'll recognize the break ball in between the 2 racks; it's the one you showed me Friday night...

about 6 balls before the end of the 2nd rack, i had a nice little pattern ready, but overran both the 5 and the 8 ball (was playing for either one, then the other). i thought i came up with a pretty good recovery plan, but then overran the same 8 ball a 2nd time [!] which was just sloppy, and was ultimately the actual cause of the run coming to an end.

At 1:08 you shot an insurance ball in the side pocket, another option would have been eleven, eight, and promote possible break ball (two balls in the middle as you did well later on) then thirteen in the side follow down for the ball on the bottom rail and then your left with two insurance balls to get you in line for the break shot. I also might have been tempted to play the eleven and then promote the break ball, my idea here is to create the break shot sooner that way your on the road to finding the end game pattern more rapido, I like the way you promoted the break ball but I think it could have been done quicker.

Last edited:

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Correction

Ok I see now that you did not have the angle to get below the two in the center from the eleven. Eleven, eight and get to the ball near the bottom rail would be my first choice indeed. I still like using the thirteen to get to the ball near the bottom rail but if you were to get straight in on the eight you might be tempted to just draw back for the ball near the bottom cushion (hoping to not get straight in). I just like having lots of "key" balls near my break shot it makes getting to the break ball easier when I have a group of "key balls residing near each other. When you were trying to promote the stripe for a break you either hit the solid ball below it too hard or you addressed the white ball two low - both will cause the stripe to travel too far as it obviously did. Remember low spin on the white gives the next ball it hits alot more energy than top spin on the white.

Last edited: