sharking penalty in tournament play?

pinoyincalgary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both of my sons are starting to play the game and they try their best to get into each other's skin (without any physical contact) and they asked :Is there such thing as a penalty for sharking ? If so, what is it? What would it be the penalty if done in the us open or other prestigious events? I definitely have no clue for an actual answer.

Both of my sons are starting to play the game and they try their best to get into each other's skin (without any physical contact) and they asked :Is there such thing as a penalty for sharking ? If so, what is it? What would it be the penalty if done in the us open or other prestigious events? I definitely have no clue for an actual answer.

Pretty much at the director's discretion, but it is definitely covered in some form by every set of rules I've read and it is called 'Unsportsmanlike Conduct'.

As far as I'm concerned, a player should get one warning and then be thrown bodily out of the venue.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would be unsportsmanlike conduct and the penalty is up to the ref - anything from a warning or regular foul up to being kicked out of the tournament.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But you can tell your sons that under WPA rules, Canadians are exempt from sportsmanship penalties.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Have them agree to play two different types of games. The first type is as they're playing now; talk, joke, shark, etc.

But the second type is strict adherence to the rules; when you're not shooting you're in the chair and silent. If you're shooting, there's no talking to the other player i.e. taunting, etc. Any violation of the rules is BIH for the other player.

They'll probably prefer different games at different times, but it's good that they experience both.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Giving each other grief while playing is actually pretty good training to stay focused. Just have to remember to separate what you do with your brother and what you do when playing in public.

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When it happens to me I like to immediately confront the person. I tell him it stops now or I will do freakin jumping jacks in his line of sight all day. It usually works, though not always.

pinoyincalgary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys. My kids are actually really good when playing against other people. Only when they face each other that this brotherly competition comes up. I guess, majority of the time, a ref has to be present for something to be called unsportsmanlike conduct?

Thanks guys. My kids are actually really good when playing against other people. Only when they face each other that this brotherly competition comes up. I guess, majority of the time, a ref has to be present for something to be called unsportsmanlike conduct?

I believe that JayH has stated that as a ref he will, at times, talk to bystanders to get the full story in cases of dispute.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When it happens to me I like to immediately confront the person. I tell him it stops now or I will do freakin jumping jacks in his line of sight all day. It usually works, though not always.

Good, I would like to see you do that when you play Earl, Mika, Frost, Dechaine
Also it was mentioned here that some have their meals while playing . Be ready for all kinds of antics :D

GoldenFlash

Banned
I don't understand any of this moaning about sharking. Since I am a no-shooting, meaningless, weakling, nobody........... I can say it.
You guys are supposed to be the rock hard, steady focused, nerves of steel big time gamblers. Aren't you??
Why would you allow someone to get in your head like that and cause you to pooch shots?
All you gotta' do is give back what you get...but in a more diabolical way.
What's the other guy gonna' do about it....attack you?
Well if he does, just pull your pistol and shoot the bastard right in the nuts or stab him in the eyes with the business end of your cue and then make a hasty getaway.
From what I've seen, most pool gamblers with loud mouths are trying their best to get back into prison or into the cemetery anyway.
Life goes on...... Icon Huh.gif

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched the Hustlers on tru TV and their was plenty of sharking so it must be allowed:eek:

Since this is the latest incarnation of pool that the non playing public has been exposed to, I can only hope that the show also makes sure to highlight other "proper pool room behavior" such as sitting on the tables, eating over the tables, smacking their cues as hard as they can on the table when they miss a shot. Also we must make sure the non pool playing public we are trying to attract to the pool room knows that they need to scream and holler at everything that happens on the table, good, bad, funny or otherwise.

Once these shows catch on about how big of a jackass you can act like in a pool hall, Im sure the game will come back around just fine. Just like it did in 86-87 when guys who couldnt make 2 fooking balls in a row were walking around the table flipping and spinning their cues around singing incorrect lyrics to "Werewolves of London".

Oooooooooooooo hey, somebody should mention to them, they need to put a roofie aided date rape in the parking lot, multiple drugs deals, and maybe a shooting or 2 into the show. Ya know, for "reality's" sake.

Looking forward to all the good things shows like this will do for pool. :thumbup:
Im sure the new generation of players coming into the pool halls will be an absolute pleasure to play around..... :frown:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Having brothers do that is 100% normal LOL, as long as they know how to behave in a normal playing situation, let them mess with each other.

When I play my son we tend to mess around with shots, one day I was pretending I was doing ESPN commentary on his game and was coming up to him while he was shooting and asking him questions like "so what are you going to do with this shot" as he's aiming. In a real match, he is away from the table when the other player is shooting, he's been well trained in politeness and sportsmanship since he started playing by not just me, but others. I was lucky enough to be in a place where the manager made sure people behaved properly. That is why I am totally for young kids being around pool halls as long as they can have the proper guidance not just from the parents but from other adults and even older kids. You don't see trash talking and all the other antics in pool like you do in football or basketball, not sure why pool has a reputation for being a seedy sport not fit for minors yet it's OK for them to play peewee football to emulate half-educated idiots that get arrested for wife beating and drug and gun charges.

Last edited:

ssbn610g

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been playing a Saturday morning SharkFest for years now. It is expected until you are over the ball. It is a lot of fun but you better have a thick skin. In a tournament or serious setting, this behavior is unacceptable and should be avoided. That being said, I have been conditioned via Saturday mornings to not let this kind of crap affect me.

Al

Last edited:

2strong4u

Banned

I think a cue swung accross the back of the head is a common penalty. They don't wanna play that game too long...can end badly.