motor question

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Can you mount an ac motor under your bench?
Cut a hole in the bench and feed the drive belt to the motor underneath the lathe...

I never thought of that......... but I have seen several bench grinders mounted like that........

Kim

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
After the question of the treadmill motor's ability to be reversed,
I contacted the man who I get my control boards from. He also sells the mtrs.
He states that, yes, they are reversible. I see the two wire mtrs being the easiest.
Simply reverse polarity via a DPDT switch, center being neutral.
My mtr has 4 leads, two for brushes & two for 'field'.
In my case, I believe this is possible thru some very creative switching.
Thanx to Gary for his link.

While my mtr is indeed a treadmill mtr, I don't believe it's typical/common.
Thanx to Don for pointing out that there are exceptions.
So my statement of treadmill mtrs not being able to be reversed was incorrect.
Sometimes you need to be wrong to know what's right.

Thanx Guys, KJ

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Can you mount an ac motor under your bench?
Cut a hole in the bench and feed the drive belt to the motor underneath the lathe...

Naw I can't, I have drawers under the bench for storage. I have a 13' x 20' garage,...but enough stuff for a 20' x 30' shop... so much tools, so little space :D
Dave

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
After the question of the treadmill motor's ability to be reversed,
I contacted the man who I get my control boards from. He also sells the mtrs.
He states that, yes, they are reversible. I see the two wire mtrs being the easiest.
Simply reverse polarity via a DPDT switch, center being neutral.
My mtr has 4 leads, two for brushes & two for 'field'.
In my case, I believe this is possible thru some very creative switching.
Thanx to Gary for his link.

While my mtr is indeed a treadmill mtr, I don't believe it's typical/common.
Thanx to Don for pointing out that there are exceptions.
So my statement of treadmill mtrs not being able to be reversed was incorrect.
Sometimes you need to be wrong to know what's right.

Thanx Guys, KJ

PS - I almost forgot and I'd be remiss if I didn't also give a THANX to Mike Gatzke,
for challenging my statement about the reversibility of treadmill motors.
Not wanting to be one to post bad intel, I had to find out what was correct.
I did some homework and learned some things.
While my particular T/M mtr may not be easily reversed, the vast majority are.
I didn't know that and now I do.
Thanx Mike.

PPS - A little eye candy if it's still alive:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/23-BRAZILIA...WzZVa3G5VG81O%2FQWzbM%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

GatzkeCues

It used to be a hobby
Silver Member
PS - I almost forgot and I'd be remiss if I didn't also give a THANX to Mike Gatzke,
for challenging my statement about the reversibility of treadmill motors.
Not wanting to be one to post bad intel, I had to find out what was correct.
I did some homework and learned some things.
While my particular T/M mtr may not be easily reversed, the vast majority are.
I didn't know that and now I do.
Thanx Mike.

PPS - A little eye candy if it's still alive:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/23-BRAZILIA...WzZVa3G5VG81O%2FQWzbM%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

You are very welcome. As I had said, I didn't want to start a argument and I'm glad we came to a civilized agreement of sorts. Thank you also and thanks to all who contribute to helping each other out on AZBILLIARDS.

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I had a thread up about these before. I have one of the treadmill motors and the controller mentioned. A friend of mine gave me a treadmill that looked as if It saw very little use, but the digital main board was bad. The mat was great for making tool drawer mats, so I cut the mat up, to line the drawers in one of My boxes, and The motor and controller board were still good. I was able to wire a pot to the board to control the motor speed manually. I decided to save this motor to go on a dedicated coring setup, because It has way more power/torque then I need on a a basic turning or repair setup. I never got around to setting up a DPDT switch to see if I could reverse It but from what I have read and been told It can be reversed. That's only an assumption based on the info i have seen or received, but When I can get around to digging It out, I should have a switch on hand and will try It to see.

The controllers are supposed to be decent, and they are used by many manufacturers, but I have seen many different motors attached to them, so My thinking is that it is possible to have one motor that can be reversed and another that may not. I guess for me the question is... for the ones that can, will the brushes wear out or any other issues arise, since We not really using It for continuous duty?

GatzkeCues

It used to be a hobby
Silver Member
I wouldn't be too concerned about wearing brushes out. They are cheap enough to replace. I have had a brush wear out on a cheaper model motor that is on my sanding, polishing, tune-up lathe. For some reason it was only one brush. I took a chance with new brushes and haven't had another problem since. One other suggestion is to have an inline fuse in your AC input line and also one right off the board as to not fry the controllerIif a short were to happen.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't be too concerned about wearing brushes out. They are cheap enough to replace. I have had a brush wear out on a cheaper model motor that is on my sanding, polishing, tune-up lathe. For some reason it was only one brush. I took a chance with new brushes and haven't had another problem since. One other suggestion is to have an inline fuse in your AC input line and also one right off the board as to not fry the controllerIif a short were to happen.

One brush will wear faster than the other unless you are running equal time in reverse.