Question about Mezz or other 5/16-14 threads

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I understand that the Mezz "united" joint is 5/16-14 piloted?

I'm curious...I have an X-Breaker Gen 3 built by Samsara. It is a 5/16-14 piloted joint. I am looking for a hard hitting break shaft that ideally is LD. I would love to have a BK3 shaft on there, but I can't even buy a BK3 shaft for my BK3 lol. I currently have the original OB break shaft, but honestly with the wood ferrule, even with a phenolic tip, it just doesn't hit that hard. Awesome control, and the main reason I want to do this is that this cue has magnificent balance and feel. I have a Mike Gulyassy shaft for it that hits very hard, but control is not the best with the 1 piece ferrule/tip and non LD shaft.

Any input? I just tried a Mezz Deep Impact Pro shaft last night. Seemed ok. Hit decent. Just looking for other ideas.

Thanks,

KMRUNOUT

a1712

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I use both a Deep Impact II and a Dual Force and like them both. Can't tell a whole lot of difference between them using them both on a Kai wrapless Butt. I did replace the Trance tip on the Dual Force w/a Hammerhead, but I'm going to change that out to a Mezz Sonic soon. Brian.

asamimasa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Mezz break shafts are quite nice. I used the Deep Impact Pro R for a while, and while the energy transfer on it was superb, I felt that it was fairly high deflection, resulting in poorer than expected results if the hit was even a little bit off. In the flipside, the BK3 shaft's low deflection properties gave what felt like squarer hits often, but I did not like it as much overall. The Deep Impact II is what I'm using now, and I have no complaints about it.

If you have any space for any piloting (as in your joint doesn't meet a flush wooden surface), a Mezz shaft will fit a 5/16x14 joint.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Mezz break shafts are quite nice. I used the Deep Impact Pro R for a while, and while the energy transfer on it was superb, I felt that it was fairly high deflection, resulting in poorer than expected results if the hit was even a little bit off. In the flipside, the BK3 shaft's low deflection properties gave what felt like squarer hits often, but I did not like it as much overall. The Deep Impact II is what I'm using now, and I have no complaints about it.

If you have any space for any piloting (as in your joint doesn't meet a flush wooden surface), a Mezz shaft will fit a 5/16x14 joint.

Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for

KMRUNOUT