Rules question regarding weight of cue.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
since my comments were about physics definitions, not sure why i am in the hot seat :D

Nonetheless, and restating my amateur credentials, i don't think mass or stiffness has appreciable positive use in an extension. In fact, since most people seem to prefer some forward weight, the less weight the better. Convenient that this also helps stay legal with current regs.

Now, i have not yet built an extension, but am thinking about one for the cue i just finished. For quick,cheap,practical, I'm inclined to go in to the library (after they open again) and print one out as another post described.

If the plague goes on for a "long"? time; i may experiment with a hollow fir or spruce tube, possibly veneered with wood to match the cue. I sometimes make airplane parts, so lightness with strength is appealing. Carbon fiber would be obvious, for those willing to work with it. I'd have to weigh some aluminum tube to see where that falls; if there are any sizes close to my cue butt diameter.

smt

I think you are quite knowledgable, compared to me, a damn rocket scientist. :grin:

You also share photos here and there, and from what I have seen, I respect the work you do and your opinion quite a bit, you are also nice about answering questions with thoughtful responses, so hot seat for you :thumbup:

So, am I reading this correctly, your library has a 3d printer, I am quite envious. We have a VHS section at our local library. :smile:

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sounds suspiciously like the no-good-deed-goes-unpunished credo. :(

Make's Pat's suggestion look pretty viable. :grin:

I thought all NY libraries had maker spaces, but might be county by county. I have not used ours, but the guy there keeps after me to try it out. I've been taking them my scrap 1/8" & 1/4" birch plywood for years for their laser and cnc router. Sometimes i accidentally scrap a 1/2 sheet or something if it's been a while. It has to be cut down to 1' x 2' or under to fit the laser, which kids seem to love. Otherwise they (the library) buy it someplace like Michaels for stoopid money; & then they have to charge the kids for it.

smt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd love to see some pictures if time permits, and we are all locked down, so I am expecting some pics :smile:

For some reason I can't get my final files, but the only difference in the final and these is that the solid section at the threads of the extension is longer and the adapter is also slightly thicker on the inside.

I had to shrink the extension down to about 10 inches (it looked way too high).

If you want to discuss the headaches of fitting Schmelke self tapping threads, I could do that all day. They are a absolute _NIGHTMARE_ to work with!!!! Predators, Schon , Becue, you name it.... all sooooo much easier. But Schmelke.... errrrr..

Again, the adapter has to be a stronger, heavier material like ASA or PET-G (PLA is the worst). But the actual extension, that can be anything. In PLA, I get around 2.5 ounces for a 12" (technically, with intentionally faulty flow control, I can get a 15" down to 2 ounces... but that's a whole story that would make a typical 3D printer angry).

Both...

schmelke-both.jpg

Adapter...

schmelke-adapter.jpg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a cheap way to try something (vaguely) like that out.

That thing rocks! My son pointed out that it's a vacuum tube (and it literally is, go look at pics of floor vacuums). It's heavy as shit, but it does get the job done. In the end, the thing that is the most awkward about it is how large of a diameter you're holding in your hand, it's very alerting. But otherwise, it gets the job done if it's all you have (and very well).

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For some reason I can't get my final files, but the only difference in the final and these is that the solid section at the threads of the extension is longer and the adapter is also slightly thicker on the inside.

I had to shrink the extension down to about 10 inches (it looked way too high).

If you want to discuss the headaches of fitting Schmelke self tapping threads, I could do that all day. They are a absolute _NIGHTMARE_ to work with!!!! Predators, Schon , Becue, you name it.... all sooooo much easier. But Schmelke.... errrrr..

Again, the adapter has to be a stronger, heavier material like ASA or PET-G (PLA is the worst). But the actual extension, that can be anything. In PLA, I get around 2.5 ounces for a 12" (technically, with intentionally faulty flow control, I can get a 15" down to 2 ounces... but that's a whole story that would make a typical 3D printer angry).

Both...

schmelke-both.jpg

Adapter...

schmelke-adapter.jpg
That is so freaking cool to see, damn!
Thanks for the pics, you rock sir!

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is so freaking cool to see, damn!
Thanks for the pics, you rock sir!

No problem. As soon as I get longer vertical extrusions for my printer, I'm going to start printing butts. I have 2 or 3 designs I've been tweaking down to a scale of 15". Of the few designs I have, 1 in particular which isn't the lightest, should be pretty damn good (especially the weight bolt section). WIthout any weight bolts inserted, it should way nearly 5 ounces and be strong as hell.

You can and cannot print shafts. You can right now technically print in CF filament a shaft that would rival or even best a REVO, but... I'm not sure I'd break with it. _IF_ you wanted to break with it, you'd have to print the core with another material and the joint with another. Using 3 materials with a 3D printer isn't a big deal anymore (especially with klipper and the latest tool changers), but it would take probably 30 hours to print (which isn't an amount of time you like to let a print run in case of errors).

You could print everything with a SLA style printer, but that would be HUGE money down right from the bat ($20,000+ Vs. $500).

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't mean your question was a "joke".

I meant the "state of pool" is a joke when they have archaic rules that don't make sense and the powers that be don't change or update them.

Such as:

What is a 26 ounce cue going to do for you that at 25 ounce cue won't?

What is a 70 inch cue going to do for you if your arms are too short to use it?

What is a 16mm tip going to do for you that a 14mm won't? Do you plan on playing masse pool or regular pool?

Etc, etc, etc.

I think you should have only one cue at the table and you have to do everything with it. No specialty cues (i.e., break, jump, masse).

If your entire world was playing 14.1, then a break cue obviously wouldn't be necessary. But playing 8 ball or nine ball, and if you like playing with a soft tip, a break cue becomes a necessity.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I re-glanced at the thread and didnt see the obvious answer..... just take the plug out of your butt! Er....uhhh... I meant take the weight bolt out. Just about every cue out there (with exceptions of course) are 17 to 18 ounces with no weight bolt. Pull it out, add the extension, and you should be below the 25 ounce limit. You might have to get used to more forward balance though.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I re-glanced at the thread and didnt see the obvious answer..... just take the plug out of your butt! Er....uhhh... I meant take the weight bolt out. Just about every cue out there (with exceptions of course) are 17 to 18 ounces with no weight bolt. Pull it out, add the extension, and you should be below the 25 ounce limit. You might have to get used to more forward balance though.

Something to keep in mind (but not currently applicable), if the construction of the butt is fabricated a certain way, you will have no percieved difference. The problem is this requires modifications of the butt as well. For instance, a much lighter butt with weights determining the fulcrum point of the other weights (a 3 point system).

I started a design of this very thing, but practical application made me stop because as long as you have a light enough extension, the difference is confirmable as long as you have about 2 inches of room to shift the bolt. I didn't do the math, but a complete guesstimate leads me to believe that as long as your extension is below 3.5'ish ounces, you should be able to acclimate with no percieved difference (outside of the mass your hand will hold, because it will be less).

This all means nothing, but there's something about a human body (at least mine) that does recognize the mass regardless of weight, at least its origin of species. I know mass is constant and weight is variable, but I don'r feel I should be able to telll under the same gravity (and I'm thinking for some rasson all humans can, most likely due to the density of volume?... dunno, I'm not a physicist. ). It's probably psychosomatic from just knowing the change.

Last edited: