New player looking for first time buyer's advice

FICTION

Registered
Hello A-Z, this is my first post so try and be nice :rolleyes:

I started playing pool every now and then about a year ago, but within the past 6 months have gotten much more serious about it. I'll play anywhere between 15-25 games a week on average, and have now decided its time to invest in my own stick, as using friend's cheap sporting goods store cues or bar cues leaves much to be desired.
I'm starting to play much more consistently, and feel I have progressed quite well over the last half year. Now I think my own cue would be a great investment.

My questions are:
How much do I need to spend to get something playable for someone of my skill level? I don't care about fancy looks. I actually prefer the look of a sneaky pete. $100 is my target area, but I absolutely will not spend more than $150

What type of weight should I be looking at? I tend to use heavier cues (19-20oz) as I read most new players do.

Could you guys recommend me brands/materials I should be looking for?

Any input is appreciated

Trent

Banned
buy something of decent quality and you will save money in the future.

150, id say koinkid, schmelke for new

or post up 150 show me what ya got in the FS section and find a decent used cue.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
With a price range like that you might want to try the For-Sale/Wanted section. You can often find good deals from reputable sellers. I'm by no means an expert on cues, but my only other suggestion might be a conversion cue. Something previously-loved might be the best choice.

A custom cue is an amazing instrument and a work of art, but they don't come cheap. Before owning one, I played with a simple conversion with only a wrap and it logged years of tireless pocket-loving action before I retired it. Since then I've owned a few customized cues, and one truly custom cue. There's simply no comparison but getting over the price tag can be hard at first when you don't know what you're missing.

Good luck in your hunt!

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I'd personally find a sneaky to play with, you can find plenty in that price range.

Old joss sneakys are always a good starter choice imho. I have one in my case actually.

Ask Koinkid what he has for sale, usually has a large variety. Until you figure out how heavy of a cue you like, balance point, etc etc you are better off buying something for less imho. Joss cues, schon cues, mcdermott, and a large selection of customs are all good brands. Custom I'd probably try something like a dzuricky www.dzcues.com He comes through on time frames, and will build a very nice cue the way you like. Unfortuantly will cost more than your budget. Jeff Duke (dukeboy77 on here I think) had a sneaky from him for sale for like 200.

jemerson23

Shoot to Thrill
Silver Member
Search Jim Baxter on here. He has some great deals on sneakies. I am sure he would $ox you up in your budget.
Jon

AnthonyLewis208

I need to speak with the architect of this S-show!
Silver Member
Lucasi is not a bad place to start IMO....

This is my 2cents for what it is worth.

Get something straight with a good tip from a well known maker and you will be just fine!

If you keep playing a lot you will keep progressing and will no doubt eventually be looking for a different playing cue that better fits your ability and tastes. It took me years and years of playing and lots of different cues to find out what I didn't like and I am still searching for my perfect player....some say this is an endless search :rolleyes:

As your game evolves so will your taste in cues. Keep your cost as low as possible at this point....for $150 you should be able to get a cue that more than fits your needs.

GL!

It is a great game. Try not to ever get too frustrated with it :smile:

str8shooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get a meucci...lol.All laughs aside,cuemaster has a few cheap and nice looking cues in the wanted adds.Nice guy too.I'll make you a really nice sneaky for that price if you can't find anything that suits you.

Last edited:

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
By all means, before you spend any money, ask every decent player you can find if you can hit a few balls with their cue. Including ones out of your price range. Ask them what weight it is, what tip diameter, make a mental note of each, take your time and figure out what weight and tip diameter you like. 19 to 20 is too wide of a range. If in doubt, opt for a cue on the light side (just an educated guess by someone who's been a coach/instructor for more than two decades). Then buy something you can easily afford - almost every player I've ever met wore out their first cue before long, among other because they lacked the experience to take good care of it, but mainly because it took them a cue or two to figure out what they need and like in a cue. My two cents worth…

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

BradenK

My Thight HURTS!!!
Silver Member
Absolutely!!

By all means, before you spend any money, ask every decent player you can find if you can hit a few balls with their cue. Including ones out of your price range. Ask them what weight it is, what tip diameter, make a mental note of each, take your time and figure out what weight and tip diameter you like. 19 to 20 is too wide of a range. If in doubt, opt for a cue on the light side (just an educated guess by someone who's been a coach/instructor for more than two decades). Then buy something you can easily afford - almost every player I've ever met wore out their first cue before long, among other because they lacked the experience to take good care of it, but mainly because it took them a cue or two to figure out what they need and like in a cue. My two cents worth…

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

With out a doubt, this is great advice. Even if you buy a cue in your price-range, continue to hit other cues. It will give you much needed knowledge when you decide to upgrade. And if you are like the rest of us knuckleheads, you WILL upgrade! Best of luck!

Braden

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
With out a doubt, this is great advice. Even if you buy a cue in your price-range, continue to hit other cues. It will give you much needed knowledge when you decide to upgrade. And if you are like the rest of us knuckleheads, you WILL upgrade! Best of luck!

Braden

If you find a cue that you like, and that cue allows you to pocket balls, and win games consistently....KEEP IT, no matter how much you paid for it! When, and if you find that cue, from that point forward the only upgrade you're likely to make is in terms of cosmetics/price tag...Learn how to properly care for your cue, keep the shafts clean, and dry, and maintain/change the tip whenever appropriate. Finding a functional case that provides maximum protection for your cue is half of the battle IMO.

Bumpa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fiction -

I'm a newbie also. I am not discriminating enough to know the difference between a custom made versus a production cue. I'm a soft hitter and am concentrating on stroke, pocketing balls, and cue ball control. I have a long ways to go.

After refinishing and retipping several older used cues with Elk Master tips, they all work well for me. Average price per cue is less than $20 with 2-3 hours hours labor to refinish. I'm having fun and suggest you consider doing the same. If you do not want to get involved in refinishing, consider a Delta cue off EBay. Nicely made with many models less than $25 including shipping. Play with it for a year, play with other cues, give it away when you decide what you like, and select a cue made by an American cue maker.

Rick