katana LD shafts

oops37

Registered
carolina cue?

seen a carolina custom cue for sale at 299.00 off smrp-- this cue is new
would like to hear pros and cons on this make of cue.in fact all info will
be appreciated--thanks---oops37
this is being offered on a web site ---cheapcues.com--everything I have found about this site says it is ok--anyone know anything negitive
about it? thanks to everyone who replies-----oops37

PistolPat

Flip Strokin' since 91
Silver Member
Maybe something that Crown City Corey can explain.....

I checked it out and another interesting note is that they use Tiger product's " Katana " tip as well. So i am guessing the shaft could be something new from Tiger products??

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i don't think the shaft is from tiger, just the tip. they often make a special line of tips for cue vendors, like they did with the Sarin for Poison, or the RedLine for 5280

doesn't seem to be any info on these shafts...the description on the site is pretty minimal

shanesinnott

Follow Through
Silver Member
bump...anyone know anything about these katana shafts?

The Katana Shaft was released by Cuestix International at the BCA Trade Show in Vegas this past June.

With a growing trend of Pool Players looking for an equipment edge by upgrading their standard Pool Cue Shaft, we decided it was time to offer a Performance Shaft.

The Katana Shaft is a 10 piece radially spliced shaft (for greater consistency) and has a shorter ferrule (3/8") and smaller tip (12.5mm, to reduce front end mass) so that it produces less cueball deflection than a conventional one piece shaft

The Katana Shaft also comes with a layered Katana Tip made exclusively for us by Tiger Products in California (the industry leader in performance tips)

The Katana Shaft is very reasonably priced with an MSRP of $179.

Let me know if you have any questions.

psthi

Katana Low Deflection Pool Cue Shaft

Just purchased one from PoolDawg.... Will update and give review in a few weeks after some serious play with it. :cool:

cheapcues.com

Cue Dealer
Silver Member
The Katana Shaft was released by Cuestix International at the BCA Trade Show in Vegas this past June.

With a growing trend of Pool Players looking for an equipment edge by upgrading their standard Pool Cue Shaft, we decided it was time to offer a Performance Shaft.

The Katana Shaft is a 10 piece radially spliced shaft (for greater consistency) and has a shorter ferrule (3/8") and smaller tip (12.5mm, to reduce front end mass) so that it produces less cueball deflection than a conventional one piece shaft

The Katana Shaft also comes with a layered Katana Tip made exclusively for us by Tiger Products in California (the industry leader in performance tips)

The Katana Shaft is very reasonably priced with an MSRP of $179.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Shane that's awfully nice of you to fill in this community on the details for a product that your direct competetor produces.

For those of you who don't know, Cue and Case is the company that produces Players and Lucasi cues. Anyone considering a Katana shaft should also consider a Lucasi Hybrid shaft, or a Players HX low deflection shaft as well!

-Mike

psthi

Update

Just purchased one from PoolDawg.... Will update and give review in a few weeks after some serious play with it. :cool:

Well after playing with the Katana for a few weeks here's what.

I didn't like the tip so I replaced it with a Kamui II soft.

The shaft does decrease significantly CB squirt. I own the Players technology series 5/16 18. The Players HXT series also reduces but the Katana reduces more CB squirt.

Another player in my local league played with it who owns Vikings with Predator 314(2) shafts and said it plays and feels just like the Predator shaft.

RackemBilliards

Player, Room Owner
Silver Member
Katana shaft

Several good players use them in our room, mainly on Joss and Mezz cues. I also converted one to fit my South West, and liked it fine. They are kind of a 'Predator-light' with regard to deflection. They deflect more than Predator shafts, but quite a bit less than most standard shafts. Because they are not hollow at the tip end, they don't have the soft mushy hit that some (myself included) don't like in Predator. They have a very long taper, and the ones I measured actually got slightly smaller 14 inches or so from the tip, which generally is not good, but they seemed to be plenty stiff. I wasn't crazy about the 3/8 10 ones because the joint was a threaded solid piece, rather than threads cut straight into the wood. Nice shaft for the money.

Dave Smith
www.oldschoolpool.com

Rtoron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Katina Shaft

I bought one of the Katina shafts. The spin on the ball is not as severe as with a Predator. I put the shaft on a Carolina Custom cue with an Implex joint. The front end of the cue is now very light with the Katina shaft as compared to Carolina's 13mm European taper shafts. The cue ball seems to respond as it should coming off the rails. It can put on some pretty good inside english if you hit more than a tip width off center of cue ball. Actually I find the shaft easy to play with and it imparts about the right amount of spin on the cue ball. I had a Predator shaft last year and tried the shaft for three months and finally gave up on it. The katina shaft is closer to a OB1 shaft as far as performance. The Predator shaft was not predictable in it's performance and put way to much spin on the cue ball. I simply could not control the cue ball with my normal stroke. The Predator shaft made me slow my stroke down and this caused me many problems. I finally gave up with it. The Katina performs very close to an OB1 shaft which I had no problem playing with. For me, The Katina will work very well for my style of play.

Eddievjr5

Katana shaft and z shaft?????

U know the difference between and explorer and an aviator? Or a navigator and an expedition? Or even the Pontiac vibe and the Toyota matrix????
Uhhh ??? Name!!!! Exact same splicing with ten pieces of wood! Same with the jacoby edge hybrid and the ob1 shaft !!!! I have the the z, and love it! But I'm not gonna lie ..I wish I had seen this katana shaft before I spent 300 bucks for this dam z shaft! But oh well,,,I already have it and can't get my money back anymore ! For half of the the price !??! Hell yeah buy this katana shaft!!!!! U go in a pool hall nowadays you will always see people with predator z or the 314 shaft!! It's over rated now!! If I had to buy a shaft all over again... ??? I would even think twice ..

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I have one that I've been using on a Joss for a while now. I love it, it's got a longer taper and I really like the tip, so much that I called Tiger only to find out that they were made exclusively for the Katana shaft and not available individually. I thought it played very similar to the original 314 and the Z2 but with a long pro taper instead of a conical taper. The only complaint I had is that at the joint the shaft was just a bit wider than the butt, not enough to really notice, but just enough to irritate me, but I'm kinda anal that way. Over all an excellent shaft at an outstanding price.

red stevens

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
shafts

I believe the Jacoby Edge Hybrid has 64 pieces of wood spliced together and is really not similar to the OB or other LD shafts except it is a spliced together shaft.
On another note, I would encourage any of you who are considering a pool purchase from cheapcues.com to buy from them with the utmost confidence. I have known them for a few years now and recommend them most highly. Mike is a stand up guy who is extremely helpful. His business practices and customer relations are of the highest order. Rest assured that you will receive exceptional service and be totally pleased in dealing with Mike.
Red

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Just ordered a Katana (and really like my OB that I got a couple weeks ago). Looking forward to comparing them.

“I won’t be wronged. I won’t be insulted. I won’t be laid a hand on. I don’t do these things to other people and I require the same from them.”
JB Books (John Wayne- The Shootist)
Red

(NOT directed at the poster, but ....)
" Put it in a nutshell? You couldn't put it in a barrel without a bottom" Definitely one of my top 5 movies of all time - loved the Duke.

Ched

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shaft

They don't seem to have the desalination issues that Predator has. Basically the same thing as a Predator though. It's a good alternative.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Good shaft and worth the money. Shot with it for 4 hours, and will keep it in my bag. Extended review to follow.