Runde era schon, info please

Wally83

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for any input on my first thread!!

I picked up this runde era schon from a customer of mine. He purchased new in the early 80's he said. Took it into schon earlier this week and had Evan Clarke check it out, he said it was a nice find and valued it at $1000 the way it sits! Exciting news sure but I know that a cue is only worth what someone will pay. It looks similar to the R-11 but Evan said that it predates the R series. I know there are a lot of azer's that have a lot of knowledge on these cues and would appreciate any input. I would like to have it refinished and have had different opinions on linen vs. leather wraps. I prefer leather but don't want to bring down value because its not original. Thanks in advance for any input!

Ben
IMG_0897[1].jpg

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
This looks like the one Alex won the World and US Open 9-ball titles with.
It doesn't look like it needs refinishing.
I would have the wrap cleaned.....some use toothpaste.

maplecap

Jack
Silver Member
It could be an S series cue. I think these predate the R series. I have an S-2 cue which I bought in 1981 and still use today. As far as refinishing, will it devalue the cue? Probably so. I use my cues, so I am not a cue collector. However I do collect vintage guitars, and in this high stakes world, originality is a major issue, that could mean the difference of tens of thousands of dollars. I use my Schon because it plays lights out for me. If any of my collector guitars played lights out for me, you better believe I would have them refretted, put in modern pickups, better tuners, etc. This would devalue them greatly. If your cue plays like it's an extension of your mind through your hands, then by all means personalize it to your specs, but don't do anything to it if you don't like the way it plays now, and your thinking is a refinish and wrap hopefully will make it magic. I agree with PT109, the cue looks great as is. Just clean it. Tough decision. Good Luck. Killer cue.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for any input on my first thread!!

I picked up this runde era schon from a customer of mine. He purchased new in the early 80's he said. Took it into schon earlier this week and had Evan Clarke check it out, he said it was a nice find and valued it at $1000 the way it sits! Exciting news sure but I know that a cue is only worth what someone will pay. It looks similar to the R-11 but Evan said that it predates the R series. I know there are a lot of azer's that have a lot of knowledge on these cues and would appreciate any input. I would like to have it refinished and have had different opinions on linen vs. leather wraps. I prefer leather but don't want to bring down value because its not original. Thanks in advance for any input!

Ben
View attachment 365113

Unless the finish is chipped and falling off, it can be rebuffed to shine again. And the wrap either cleaned or replaced. Otherwise all it looks like it needs is a new shaft to play with.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This looks like the one Alex won the World and US Open 9-ball titles with.
It doesn't look like it needs refinishing.
I would have the wrap cleaned.....some use toothpaste.

It costs practically nothing to have a cue wrapped, WTH would someone have it cleaned?

JMO,

Ken

Randy9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great find and looks like it just needs to be cleaned up! I have an early 80's R series and have one of those short shafts too!

Wally83

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the info! Appreciate the comments but to the true collectors does it matter that I have this cue refinished and install a leather wrap?

Thanks, Ben

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would leave the cue as is. The refinish and new wrap will be 200 + that you would have to add onto the selling price of the cue. If you do have the cue cleaned up and refinished, send it to Schon for the work.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It costs practically nothing to have a cue wrapped, WTH would someone have it cleaned?

JMO,

Ken

It depends on the wrap and condition. If it is Cortland, the answer is simple. A good cleaning will restore it in a lot of cases. IMHO some of the old linen looks better and feels better than the new stuff so again cleaning is a better option. My cue guy cleans them for 10 and rewraps them for 40.

It looks to be a R12 without the inlays. I would not refinish it if the original finish is decent. You are right and its only worth what someone will pay but typically collectors pay higher for pristine catalog cues and not one offs. Not sure why but I will admit I am the same way. If condition was equal I would always pay more for a catalog example than a one off.

kntbeach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It does not look that bad to me. I would get a new shaft for it and play the hell out of it. It does look like a R-12 minus inlays and should play great as all R series do. I really like it and 1000 sounds like that is about right.

Wally83

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wondering why a few people have suggested new shafts? The two that come with the cue are fine minus needing new tips.

Thanks, Ben

Wally83

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes it is similar to the R-12 minus the inlays but also the R-12 has 3 points per point where this one has 5. Not that it really matters but just pointing it out.

Thanks, Ben

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Evan is mistaken... It does not predate the R series... It is an R series custom... Could be anywhere from 1982 to 87 but with that wrap I'd say closer to the 82 side...

J Layer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great R-12

Hi,
I've seen many "R-12 variants" over the years. This is a very good example of one. I agree the value ($800-$1000 based on condition shafts etc.) is close to dead on but then again the market will dictate that more so. Being a one of or a special order can be harder to find their market values with that being said again it's worth what someone would pay.
If your looking to get it restored I wouldn't send it back to schon. The first thing they do is replace the period correct butt cap. They will say they refinish cues not restore them. They will do a outstanding job but the cue will not be period correct anymore. I've seen mint refinished r-series with their butt caps replaced sell for less than a all original r series cue the same needing to be restored. They also sell easier. It's always tough to know who / how the cue was gone through .
This is a really good example of a R-series. And this is all up to someone's opinion. And this is mine.

-Jonas

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi,
I've seen many "R-12 variants" over the years. This is a very good example of one. I agree the value ($800-$1000 based on condition shafts etc.) is close to dead on but then again the market will dictate that more so. Being a one of or a special order can be harder to find their market values with that being said again it's worth what someone would pay.
If your looking to get it restored I wouldn't send it back to schon. The first thing they do is replace the period correct butt cap. They will say they refinish cues not restore them. They will do a outstanding job but the cue will not be period correct anymore. I've seen mint refinished r-series with their butt caps replaced sell for less than a all original r series cue the same needing to be restored. They also sell easier. It's always tough to know who / how the cue was gone through .
This is a really good example of a R-series. And this is all up to someone's opinion. And this is mine.

-Jonas

Well said, agreed!