cue straightness changing daily?

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So here in Oregon (Columbia gorge) the weather is still pretty funky, having a lot of mugginess in the mornings and warm and dry afternoons. For the last three days my cue took to a really bad noticeable wobble that almost made me sick, I mean wobble all the way to the middle of the shaft. Before that it had a slight wobble at the tip...now it rolls perfectly straight again tonight. Weather hasn't changed all that much either. I often leave it played out on my table instead of on the rack. Anyone else experiencing anything like this? None of my other cues on the rack or not have changed at all in their roll, but my main player is different all the time. It's tge only flat laminated if that makes any difference.

The only funky cue I have is my Jeff Olney. Sad to say because he has a big following on here and it's a beautiful cue, but I'm out $1k and I have hell getting it to roll straight. I talked to him about it and all he said just wait.......it'll get better. His cue sits right next to three others I've had for years and they roll straight as a string. I don't know what to tell you.

RBC

Deceased
So here in Oregon (Columbia gorge) the weather is still pretty funky, having a lot of mugginess in the mornings and warm and dry afternoons. For the last three days my cue took to a really bad noticeable wobble that almost made me sick, I mean wobble all the way to the middle of the shaft. Before that it had a slight wobble at the tip...now it rolls perfectly straight again tonight. Weather hasn't changed all that much either. I often leave it played out on my table instead of on the rack. Anyone else experiencing anything like this? None of my other cues on the rack or not have changed at all in their roll, but my main player is different all the time. It's tge only flat laminated if that makes any difference.

Don't leave it laying on the pool table.

When a cue is laying on the table, the shaft is actually being bent slightly. When it stays this way for hours or days, it doesn't straighten out right away.

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

FrankieD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't leave it laying on the pool table.

When a cue is laying on the table, the shaft is actually being bent slightly. When it stays this way for hours or days, it doesn't straighten out right away.

Greaaaaaaaattttttttt, my cue spends about 23 hours a day on my table. I better check to see if I have funky wobble.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greaaaaaaaattttttttt, my cue spends about 23 hours a day on my table. I better check to see if I have funky wobble.

Ernie (maker of Ginacue) says it's best to leave the cue together, upright, and closest to an interior wall. I have followed what he says and my cues are perfect. Even though an an exterior wall may be insulated, the center of the house will always be less humid.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I have a cue that came from a humid climate (or at least more humid than here in Denver). It was nice and straight when I first got it. Since then the wood has shrunk up a little - you can feel a slight shoulder at the ferrule and the shaft has warped slightly. It is a laminated shaft, if you look real close you can even see where the wood has twisted a bit. It plays great but now it has some physical properties that just drive me nuts. This is the second shaft. I sent the first back to the cuemaker with the same problems and he replaced it or straightened it. So when I git back it was perfect, after a month or two the wood dries and the shaft begins to bend and shrink. Makes me crazy

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My cues sit in my case unassembled until needed......been doing it for 25 plus years and nary a problem. I can't imagine one of my cues going crooked from being out. I've had them lay on my pool table for weeks at a time and never any change to the straightness which remains perfect. Frankly, if your cue changes the way you described it, well, it sounds like your cue-maker used a shitty piece of wood for it to change that quickly back & forth.

You should pose the question in the Cue-makers Section and see what they have to say. My guess is the wood used is poor quality for a shaft......just a guess but it sure sounds that way. My Runde Schon was made in 1985......my Palmer in1971.......I've loved in many different states with different climates and both of these cues are straight as new.......I'm betting it's the cue-maker, not the weather.....but proper storage will avoid and prevent unnecessary problems with your cues.

Matt B.

tc in l a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ernie (maker of Ginacue) says it's best to leave the cue together, upright, and closest to an interior wall. I have followed what he says and my cues are perfect. Even though an an exterior wall may be insulated, the center of the house will always be less humid.
I think this is (one of) the interview(s) with Ernie where he discusses some thoughts on cue storage, that they need to be played and a few other things.

He stopped by and spoke with Jay Helfert while Jay was commenting on a match so it's kind of a two for one here...a nice match and some thoughts by a couple of the best guys in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9UMQ8tKp4M

Don't forget to make sure your interior wall isn't near or on the flip side of a heater, air conditioner and maybe stay away from bathrooms too. (my apology if that's too obvious but even the best insulation may not enough)

Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Perfectly normal. A piece of shaft wood moves constantly, sometimes you can't tell, and sometimes you can. Don't worry about it, store it upright in a case, not in a cue rack.

The exception to this, of course, is a piece of shaft wood that warps badly from the start, and nothing helps. That's one for the trash can, but it doesn't sound like the case here.

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks I think I will start storing it in my case to be on the safe side. It's just the strangest thing, for 4 months it stayed perfectly straight, then had a slight wobble for a couple weeks then bad wobble and now last couple days its perfectly straight again. At least whatever's wrong the shaft seems to want to stay straight so I'll take that as a good sign. Another cue I got from this maker arrived with a slight wobble, and after a couple months of breaking with it it went totally straight, then It went back on the rack for awhike and now the slight wobble is back. Obviously the only solution is to play more pool :)