Fighting muscle memory after conditions change

Thomas McKane

Lifelong student of one p
Silver Member
I'm finding that I have a very difficult time adjusting my game to changing conditions. When the equipment changes (e.g. different cue ball, felt, etc) or ambient humidity/temperature after a few hours of play, it feels like I spend hours (all night) fighting my own muscle memory trying to re-adjust.

When conditions naturally fit my "feel", I simply cannot do wrong, I make every ball, get position every time, run balls effortlessly...dead stroke with little effort. However, once something changes it falls apart and getting it back again is so damn hard.

How do top players get around this and adjust to changes in conditions so quickly? It's definitely my biggest weakness and I cannot figure out how to overcome it. Are there any tips to faster adaptation? Or am I just naturally stubborn and don't have the gift?

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I am sure some instructors will chime in.

Meanwhile, I was playing a while back & the first cool front came through one day & I had played the day before & was playing right as the cool front had come on.

I was having a bit of trouble getting control of my draw shots. I would over adjust & under adjust, etc. Now I know that I would have eventually gotten it under control, but... I have another shaft with a different tip.

I changed shafts/tips & BOOM my normal control was right there.

You may need to do some experimenting & perhaps an equipment change for different conditions will get you in the ball park but...

it basically comes down to that F word...

FEEL.

Good Luck with Finding a Solution for YOU.

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great question. I too have struggled with the same thing over the years until I accepted what I had to do.

It's hard giving up what you know how to do, but the answer is that when you're faced with conditions that don't work with your style of play ---- simplify your game. Pocket the balls, but don't try to run the cue ball around so much. Cut down on side spin. Even play more safe shots if you have to.

You may feel like you're giving up your edge, and that's partially true, but trying to do what the table won't accept is just like handing the match over to your opponent. Keep it simple and make him work for every shot.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm finding that I have a very difficult time adjusting my game to changing conditions. When the equipment changes (e.g. different cue ball, felt, etc) or ambient humidity/temperature after a few hours of play, it feels like I spend hours (all night) fighting my own muscle memory trying to re-adjust.

When conditions naturally fit my "feel", I simply cannot do wrong, I make every ball, get position every time, run balls effortlessly...dead stroke with little effort. However, once something changes it falls apart and getting it back again is so damn hard.

How do top players get around this and adjust to changes in conditions so quickly? It's definitely my biggest weakness and I cannot figure out how to overcome it. Are there any tips to faster adaptation? Or am I just naturally stubborn and don't have the gift?
I found that I had a real hard time changing between table sizes until I had done it many times. Many top players have had to play under many different conditions and usually with pressure to win. They have experience with a wide range of conditions. Even with that ability to adapt they usually still lose something when conditions are not ideal. On a dirty, sticky table they are also going to have problems because the bad equipment will limit the range of reasonable shots. Mosconi carried around his own set of clean, polished balls for a reason.