The best way to order a custom cue IMO

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Completely agree on Dan. His reputation was sullied unfortunately but he made me an absolutely fantastc cue that was completely hand built by him. And despite super minimal direction made one of the nicest Joss cues I have ever seen. Even Bill Stroud commented at one point on how nice it was.

One thing I told Dan was to make the points razor sharp which he did.
He is great to work with.
When he says you will get your cue at a certain time that is when you get it.
I picked mine up at his shop in Towson, MD.

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
That’s what I did. I called Jerry and told him the weight and style and a year later it was ready.

Attachments

• FFAAB607-226B-452B-8CD0-82F73303CEB6.jpg
    FFAAB607-226B-452B-8CD0-82F73303CEB6.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 113

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
So her is my take what feel perfect today, feel off someday soon. Why.......many reasons.

You did not sleep good night before.

You over exercised, and have sore mussels.

What it perfect one day, is not perfect the next.

Find a Cue you like, play with it, it will Groningen on you after time.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in the old days with Gus Szamboti who came to the pool room I hung out in.
A lot of guys would ask Gus to make a cue.
Gus would ask what do you want?
Most would say I've got $xxx make what you want Gus.
A standard Gus cue was $425.00 2 shafts 59" with Ivory ferrules back then.
I never saw an ugly Gus cue and I saw a bunch.
Just curious as to the timeframe at which a standard Gus cue with 2 shafts and ivory ferrules was available directly from Gus for $425? I have one from roughly 1980, and was just curious what the original owner whom I bought it from and who ordered it directly from Gus might have had to pay Gus for it? Thanks

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious as to the timeframe at which a standard Gus cue with 2 shafts and ivory ferrules was available directly from Gus for $425? I have one from roughly 1980, and was just curious what the original owner whom I bought it from and who ordered it directly from Gus might have had to pay Gus for it? Thanks

If you search for Gus Szamboti Legend Cuemaker on YT there is a video with Gus on a segment from a pool tournament form the early 80s it seems where Gus says a basic cue would be $325 and there is a pretty fancy Gus for Mizerak that he says would be $900 :)

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I gave weight range, length, shaft size. Joint type. Design style including rings and number of points, point wood. I left the rest to the cuemaker including inlays. I wanted it to look like a cue made by each cuemaker. I chose searing, gina, mottey, prewitt, tucker. Tulip wood for searing. Snakewood for gina, amboyna burl for mottey, braz rosewood for prewitt, bacote for tucker.
Enjoyed immensely the process for each cuemaker.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So her is my take what feel perfect today, feel off someday soon. Why.......many reasons.

You did not sleep good night before.

You over exercised, and have sore mussels.

What it perfect one day, is not perfect the next.

Find a Cue you like, play with it, it will Groningen on you after time.

Translation, anybody?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200117-131916.jpg
    Screenshot_20200117-131916.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 65

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I gave weight range, length, shaft size. Joint type. Design style including rings and number of points, point wood. I left the rest to the cuemaker including inlays. I wanted it to look like a cue made by each cuemaker. I chose searing, gina, mottey, prewitt, tucker. Tulip wood for searing. Snakewood for gina, amboyna burl for mottey, braz rosewood for prewitt, bacote for tucker.
Enjoyed immensely the process for each cuemaker.

That is a great way to do it and I think it results in a cue you like as well as being very representative of the cue maker.

My favorite cue design ever is a Snakewood Gina cue.

Attachments

• 610_Big_Ginas,_Hunters,_Kikels_114.jpg
    610_Big_Ginas,_Hunters,_Kikels_114.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 285_Big_Ginas,_Hunters,_Kikels_110.jpg
    285_Big_Ginas,_Hunters,_Kikels_110.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 63

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is a great way to do it and I think it results in a cue you like as well as being very representative of the cue maker.

My favorite cue design ever is a Snakewood Gina cue.

I agree, Those rings are the bomb. Also Ernie recommended i get these crown points i think thats what he called them. No ivory for me. No reverse points so i could have more snakewood.

Last edited: