Which foot do you plant first?

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Instructors have a unique situation where they have worked with many students of the game and have come across many different problems and issues. People who offer advice but don't teach certainly have something to offer but they are missing that element of experience with many different types of players.

lol

Not having a go at you personally (as I haven't read many of your posts) but from what I've seen I'll take Pidge's advice ahead of a lot of the instructors on here.

To the OP, I'd say just read Pidge's first post. It answers the whole question well, IMO.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lol

Not having a go at you personally (as I haven't read many of your posts) but from what I've seen I'll take Pidge's advice ahead of a lot of the instructors on here.

To the OP, I'd say just read Pidge's first post. It answers the whole question well, IMO.

I don't think you're getting my point. This forum is about the unique perspective of instructors. You don't have to agree with any of them at any given time but that's what this forum is about. I've had my issues with some of their comments and they've had issues with some of mine, but we're all instructors here.

People who ask questions here are looking for that unique perspective. Often they also ask the same question in the main forum to get opinions from all --- instructors who see the thread, players, and anyone else.

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I occasionally change my back foot position, depending on the shot. For example, break shots, some power shots, some close shots, sometimes when shooting over multiple balls. It depends on the shot, how much clearance I require for that shot and what obstacles I am facing on that particular shot.

I wish I could agree that you should keep the exact same back foot angle at all times, but I can't in good faith.

However, I think it's a good base for a starting point and everyone needs a reference point from which to build.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
People who ask questions here are looking for that unique perspective. Often they also ask the same question in the main forum to get opinions from all --- instructors who see the thread, players, and anyone else.

As instructors, we really don't have a good perspective from sitting behind our keyboards.

I have said this for years - there really is no way to properly or effectively teach the mechanics of this game through the internet. Each person is different - unique in balance and unique in movement. Over the past 20 or so years I have learned that every bit of internet advice should be accompanied with the following disclaimer -

DISCLAIMER: Flaws in your body position, balance, and stroke mechanics are invisible and undetectable by the questions that are posted on the internet forums. Instructional advice via the internet - although well intentioned - is definitely NOT a substitute for being in the room with a knowledgeable, well trained, qualified instructor. When you invest in some one on one time with a qualified instructor, he/she can observe, correct, and make on-the-spot adjustments to these flaws without having to compete for your attention with 50 other people with 200 paragraphs of advice that may or may not hit the target. Always seek out one on one instruction with a qualified instructor in your area PRIOR to making any changes to your mechanics based upon advice that your received on the internet. Meeting with a qualified instructor is the only way to avoid the frustration that accompanies avoiding a meeting with a qualified instructor.

:grin:

Careyp74

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I occasionally change my back foot position, depending on the shot. For example, break shots, some power shots, some close shots, sometimes when shooting over multiple balls. It depends on the shot, how much clearance I require for that shot and what obstacles I am facing on that particular shot.

I wish I could agree that you should keep the exact same back foot angle at all times, but I can't in good faith.

However, I think it's a good base for a starting point and everyone needs a reference point from which to build.

You bring up a great point that get's overlooked a lot. That basic stance is for when there are no balls blocking in front of you, and you aren't shooting off of a rail.

I find myself moving my front foot over closer to in line with my back foot when shooting off of a rail. I can judge how far away from the table to plant my back foot using my cue when breaking, and I point it forward more.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As instructors, we really don't have a good perspective from sitting behind our keyboards.

I have said this for years - there really is no way to properly or effectively teach the mechanics of this game through the internet. Each person is different - unique in balance and unique in movement. Over the past 20 or so years I have learned that every bit of internet advice should be accompanied with the following disclaimer -

DISCLAIMER: Flaws in your body position, balance, and stroke mechanics are invisible and undetectable by the questions that are posted on the internet forums. Instructional advice via the internet - although well intentioned - is definitely NOT a substitute for being in the room with a knowledgeable, well trained, qualified instructor. When you invest in some one on one time with a qualified instructor, he/she can observe, correct, and make on-the-spot adjustments to these flaws without having to compete for your attention with 50 other people with 200 paragraphs of advice that may or may not hit the target. Always seek out one on one instruction with a qualified instructor in your area PRIOR to making any changes to your mechanics based upon advice that your received on the internet. Meeting with a qualified instructor is the only way to avoid the frustration that accompanies avoiding a meeting with a qualified instructor.

:grin:

Yep. I agree with you for the most part, Blackjack. Instruction in person is the best. However, I have had my share of positive feedback in helping players who ask questions here. I'm sure you have, too.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Can I ask why you feel the need to change the back foots position or angle?

Personally I can't see any benefit from it. The angle you have the back foot at has extremely to no influence on how the rest of your body will be aligned to a shot. All the alignment comes from how both feet are in relation to one another. For example, I play with a square stance. If you drew a line from toe to toe, it would be at 90 degrees to the shot line. The foot to foot relationship, and angle has the biggest part to play imo in how the hips and shoulders will be aligned to the shot.

Like I said, the angle the back foot is at has very little impact on how you align, so you can play with it angled all over the place from shot to shot and be very successful at it. But it aids consistency to keep the same set up from shot to shot. Whether I'm bridging over balls, breaking, jumping, masse, playing safe, playing opposite handed, banking, kicking, slow rolling, playing with power....my back foot is always at the same angle, so each shot feels the same as much as possible.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can I ask why you feel the need to change the back foots position or angle?

Personally I can't see any benefit from it. The angle you have the back foot at has extremely to no influence on how the rest of your body will be aligned to a shot. All the alignment comes from how both feet are in relation to one another. For example, I play with a square stance. If you drew a line from toe to toe, it would be at 90 degrees to the shot line. The foot to foot relationship, and angle has the biggest part to play imo in how the hips and shoulders will be aligned to the shot.

Like I said, the angle the back foot is at has very little impact on how you align, so you can play with it angled all over the place from shot to shot and be very successful at it. But it aids consistency to keep the same set up from shot to shot. Whether I'm bridging over balls, breaking, jumping, masse, playing safe, playing opposite handed, banking, kicking, slow rolling, playing with power....my back foot is always at the same angle, so each shot feels the same as much as possible.

Do you play much pool or just snooker? So if you're standing 90 degrees to the shot line, then am I correct in guessing that you're playing with a bent bridge arm?

Last edited:

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you play much pool or just snooker? So if you're standing 90 degrees to the shot line, then am I correct in guessing that you're playing with a bent bridge arm?
I play a lot of both, and yes by bridge arm is bent.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK I understand. I've never played that way, nor have I studied that particular style in great detail. However, from what I've read in snooker books, that's not the only stance recommended for snooker players, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, I can see that we're coming from two different worlds.

Just a word of advice: When giving advice to others, it's important to consider their particular style of play. Is the advice you're giving relative to a 90 degree stance and a bent bridge arm, or is it relevant to the player who you're trying to help?

That is why I feel this section is so special. For example: As an instructor, I (along with other instructors) am very familiar with the OP's issues. Why? Because I've seen it many times and have worked with many players regarding those issues. I've observed them trying to work things out and saw what works and what doesn't. That's a very strong place to come from when offering advice.

Last edited:

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK I understand. I've never played that way, nor have I studied that particular style in great detail. However, from what I've read in snooker books, that's not the only stance recommended for snooker players, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, I can see that we're coming from two different worlds.

Just a word of advice: When giving advice to others, it's important to consider their particular style of play. Is the advice you're giving relative to a 90 degree stance and a bent bridge arm, or is it relevant to the player who you're trying to help?

That is why I feel this section is so special. For example: As an instructor, I (along with other instructors) am very familiar with the OP's issues. Why? Because I've seen it many times and have worked with many players regarding those issues. I've observed them trying to work things out and saw what works and what doesn't. That's a very strong place to come from when offering advice.
True there are a few common stance and footwork patterns in snooker that are commonly used and are widely regarded.

The advice I give is always directed at the person in need and I will always try to take in any information they have given me and relate it to their style. I don't know of anyone else on the site that uses such a square on stance as I do, so very rarely will the advice I give be for that, unless someone specifically asks for it.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
foot position / stance

Hi all,

i m wondering a bit, that someone could recommend a *specific and fixed* foot position. This usualy not possible-- not for the backfoot and neither for the front foot. Too many points have influence on the very important topic *stance*-- and especially the feet are very important.
Every human has its own body (thx god, lol) -
So could someone teach every human the same stance including same foot positions?

It depends on your height, weight, how sporty you are and much more. And then, with enough expirience a qualified person/instructor can help you out, to build *your stance around the cue*- and this would include also the foot positions. Here some degrees difference can be the deciding point in some cases-- but this also depending on what style of stance you try to *use*.
Are you trying to imitate/use a snooker-stance, do you try to use an *old school* pool stance, do you try to use natural alignment which can in some cases give you an amazing advantage...../ some aiming systems *teach* you how to step into the shot also-- so we have already here so many variables and variations...hm?

but it always depends on the human and its god given body- and here it s everytime diffferent- always.

lg from overseas,

Ingo

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all,

i m wondering a bit, that someone could recommend a *specific and fixed* foot position. This usualy not possible-- not for the backfoot and neither for the front foot. Too many points have influence on the very important topic *stance*-- and especially the feet are very important.
Every human has its own body (thx god, lol) -
So could someone teach every human the same stance including same foot positions?

It depends on your height, weight, how sporty you are and much more. And then, with enough expirience a qualified person/instructor can help you out, to build *your stance around the cue*- and this would include also the foot positions. Here some degrees difference can be the deciding point in some cases-- but this also depending on what style of stance you try to *use*.
Are you trying to imitate/use a snooker-stance, do you try to use an *old school* pool stance, do you try to use natural alignment which can in some cases give you an amazing advantage...../ some aiming systems *teach* you how to step into the shot also-- so we have already here so many variables and variations...hm?

but it always depends on the human and its god given body- and here it s everytime diffferent- always.

lg from overseas,

Ingo
I agree with what you say, Ratta.

You can't expect everyone to have the same style, fundamentals and thinking. But there are some 'guidelines' that every player should follow, especially for fundamentals. Players need to find either by themselves or with help from others what works best for them. But one thing I can't stress enough is to have your feet, hips, head, bridge, back shoulder, back elbow and back grip hand in the same place each and every time in relation to the line the CB will take. You don't want the line from heel to heel to be 90 degrees to the shot line one shot, then the next shot the line to be at 45 degrees to the shot. It promotes inconsistency, and aligns your entire body differently, and makes each shot 'feel' different. So, no matter how a person stands, make sure to stand the same each time.

There are exceptions some may use, for example the break and jumping. But if you use the same stance for the break each time, again, this will only aid consistency. And the same applies for jumping. Me personally, I use a square on stance for breaking and for jumping, just like I do foe playing a regular shot. My body lunges upwards and forwards when I break, and I stand more upright when jumping, those are the only two difference...my feet remain in the same position to the line of the shot all the time.

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a picture of my cue where it lies over my foot while standing up straight.

picture.php

I experimented with postures trying to get my cue parallel to my feet. The only time this happens is when my shoulders are back. This isn't a good posture for shooting. You should relax the shoulders a bit more.

My shoulders are relaxed. We definitely have a different body type and/or posture. I think this is why your recommended foot angles and stance are uncomfortable for me.

Seems like their is no one right stance for everyone. Different body types, postures, flexibilities, vision alignments, etc..

Last edited: