Simonis 760 stretch index?

lumberman

Registered
I was wondering if any of the mechanics or technicians on here could advise me as to what is the proper stretch index for Simonis 760 cloth. I have searched the forum and could only find references to the stretch index for Simonis 860 HR and a few other brands, but nothing in regards to Simonis 760. Your help would be much appreciated. I am recovering 2 Dynamo 8ft bar tables. I have purchased new Ridgeback rails from Kerry and I have purchased both Simonis DVD's, which are now available to the general public from Seyberts. Again, any information on the stretch index would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I was wondering if any of the mechanics or technicians on here could advise me as to what is the proper stretch index for Simonis 760 cloth. I have searched the forum and could only find references to the stretch index for Simonis 860 HR and a few other brands, but nothing in regards to Simonis 760. Your help would be much appreciated. I am recovering 2 Dynamo 8ft bar tables. I have purchased new Ridgeback rails from Kerry and I have purchased both Simonis DVD's, which are now available to the general public from Seyberts. Again, any information on the stretch index would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Sounds to me like your the guy's from Turn table billiards?

lumberman

Registered
Sounds to me like your the guy's from Turn table billiards?

Actually, not at all. I live in Vancouver, BC. The tables are in my local bar where I play league out of. I am not a mechanic. I am helping in getting the tables redone. The last time they were done by a mechanic, they played very poorly and none of the players were happy with them. I have used information on this site from last summer (hours and hours of reading involved) when I redid my 8 ft Connelly home table using new Artemis K66 (pool no. 66) cushion rubber and Simonis 860HR cloth. I used Glen's (RKC) method, and the table turned out fantastic. The cloth remains tight (using canvas pliers,3m scotch-weld 10 and a 2 1/2 inch side to side stretch) and the table banks just an inch or two shy of 5 rails length wise. I tightened the pockets a bit by using 1/4 inch 60 durometer neoprene facings. Pictures attached. Sorry about the low quality image, it's a camera phone.
Because of its durability, my preference would have been to use Simonis 860HR for these bar tables as well, however, the majority of players wanted a faster cloth hence the decision to go with the Simonis 760. I suppose in order to get the stretch index, after having attached the cloth to one side I could stretch the cloth to the maximum that I can and then back it off 1/2 an inch from there for the measurement and then mark the cloth at that point. My research on here shows that the Ridgeback rails were the best way to go (on the previous cushions the rubber has come loose) so I am looking forward to having those installed. Kerry was very helpful when placing my order for these. It appears that fewer and fewer establishments and homes are installing the 760 and thus no reference to the stretch index for this cloth, but I figured it would not hurt to ask here in this forum. Any help would be appreciated however. Thanks again to all the mechanics on here for teaching and showing people how a properly done table should look and play. In the past, without this forum, a lot of individuals would have just accepted their tables the way they played. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• IMG_0126.jpg
    IMG_0126.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 642
  • IMG_0128.jpg
    IMG_0128.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 644
  • IMG_0129.jpg
    IMG_0129.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 641
  • IMG_0131.jpg
    IMG_0131.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 660
  • IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 653

realkingcobra

Silver Member
If you received the DVDs I helped make, then you'll see that I said to back off 3/4" after clamping, stretching to the max you can stretch across the slate from one side to the other, then marking that pull at the edge of the slate, then letting the cloth relax back again. Measure the stretch mark to the edge of the slate...then subtract 3/4" and what's left is your stretch index to work with when installing any kind of cloth you're using;) You can't simply ask for a stretch index of a cloth...unless the size of the slate is known first...a stretch index for a 9ft slate...won't work on a 7ft slate....if that makes any sense.

Glen

lumberman

Registered
If you received the DVDs I helped make, then you'll see that I said to back off 3/4" after clamping, stretching to the max you can stretch across the slate from one side to the other, then marking that pull at the edge of the slate, then letting the cloth relax back again. Measure the stretch mark to the edge of the slate...then subtract 3/4" and what's left is your stretch index to work with when installing any kind of cloth you're using;) You can't simply ask for a stretch index of a cloth...unless the size of the slate is known first...a stretch index for a 9ft slate...won't work on a 7ft slate....if that makes any sense.

Glen

Thank you very much Glen. As always on here, you are a great help. The DVD's will be here within the week. I am Glad Seyberts made them available to non-mechanics. The minute I saw them I purchased them. I asked the question only because I had not received the DVD's as of yet, and was not sure if the stretch index was going to be explained on them in detail. If someone had given me a stretch index on here I would have converted it. I have read in a previous post that you had in this forum from a few years ago as to how to calculate the stretch index based on slate size, where you convert the stretch for that size of slate (57" in the case of a 9 ft) to stretch per inch and then use the calculated stretch per inch to determine the stretch for a different size slate (51" in the case of an 8 ft home table) slate. Yes, I have definitely spent hours if not days of reading on this site....lol. And yes, all of what you posted above does make sense to me. Glen, thanks to you and the information you have posted on this site my home table plays wonderfully now. It took me a couple of days to do what you do in just a few hours but it was fun learning and doing it and I had a sense of accomplishment at the end. In this case I am just trying to help the bar out, and hopefully in the future they will know how a table should be done. Thanks again Glen.