Cyclop vs Aramith

TheDirtyBird

Registered
I know there are threads out there regarding this topic, but wanted to post a new up-to-date one to get some current feedback. I got the Cyclop Zeus TV Edition set of balls for my birthday a couple months ago. I already have a set of nice Aramith balls. As of now I have only noticed a few differences that are very obvious. First, is how the cue ball is more translucent. I have seen several people say they don't like it. Me personally, I love the look of the cue ball. It is the newer one with the big red dot, not the cyclop eye. I think it's sharp and clean looking. I prefer it over the standard Aramith ball, though the Aramith measle ball is my favorite cue ball out of all of them. Second, is the "cracking" noise you hear from 2 balls making contact after shooting. It is more high pitched than Aramith balls. Not good or bad, just different. I might prefer it over the sound from the Aramith balls, but really not that big of a deal, just preference. The third and most important difference I have noticed is how they seem to roll longer/faster. The Cyclp balls seem to roll noticeably faster than the Aramith balls do. It could be that they are still very new and clean, but I don't recall the Aramith balls having this much roll when they were new. And obviously the color scheme of the Cyclop balls is noticeably different as well. I like it more as well. It's a nice change, though the 6/7 and 14/15 balls can be confusing at times simply because I'm not used to shooting with this set yet. Overall, I prefer the Cyclop balls over the Aramith. Using the Cyclop balls with the Aramith measle ball would be the best setup in my opinion. Anyone else feel the same way?

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I had any of the mid to top Aramith sets or the Centennial set, I would pick them over the Cyclop balls. If I had a set of Cyclop balls on the table I would not complain about having to play with bad equipment though, just not the best. I do not like the cueball, it sill rolls funny and the clear thick surface is distracting and tougher to aim at. If you look at that dot, it is embedded into that milky surface, not part of the cueball but part of the top finish. A few places I play in use the Cyclop balls, I can't really complain much about them, I have played with much worse.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the past, people reported that Cyclop was more skid prone.

And some reported that was not theier experience.

They have not been, for me. Ibelieve mine are 2 or 3yr old, now. Run through polishere after 10-20 hrs of play, fwiw.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I have: Centennials
Aramith Tournament Pro's (Duramith set)
Cyclops (skittles colors)
They are all polished regularly in my Diamond polisher with Aramith ball cleaner, the oldest set is about 4 years old. I also have several Red Circle cue balls that I sometimes use with each ball set, I cant say that I really notice any difference in the way any of the sets play. The only thing I have noticed is the Aramith Tournaments stay cleanest the longest with the Cyclops shortly behind. The Centennials seem to get dirty much quicker, not really dirty but they lose that brand new look they have when they come out of the polisher quicker. I think all 3 of those sets are very good balls with the Cyclops being the best bargain. I dont know how they can sell them for $200 when Centennials are the next cheapest at over $300.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting...i have super pro aramiths and cyclop. The cyclop set stays clean way longer than the super pros do.

I have only played the tournament set a couple times. In your experience,Are they very different to play with vs the super pros?

They are all polished regularly in my Diamond polisher with Aramith ball cleaner, the oldest set is about 4 years old. I also have several Red Circle cue balls that I sometimes use with each ball set, I cant say that I really notice any difference in the way any of the sets play. The only thing I have noticed is the Aramith Tournaments stay cleanest the longest with the Cyclops shortly behind. The Centennials seem to get dirty much quicker, not really dirty but they lose that brand new look they have when they come out of the polisher quicker. I think all 3 of those sets are very good balls with the Cyclops being the best bargain. I dont know how they can sell them for $200 when Centennials are the next cheapest at over $300.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, price: european vs asian manufacturing.

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting...i have super pro aramiths and cyclop. The cyclop set stays clean way longer than the super pros do.

I have only played the tournament set a couple times. In your experience,Are they very different to play with vs the super pros?

Perhaps that is because Cyclop has poor quality control?

Why do people report different experiences with Cyclop? Is it due to the fact that Cyclop balls, especially cue balls, vary greatly in quality from set to set?

We know for a fact that Cyclop has sold defective balls in the past. Unfortunately, because of a lack of honesty on the part of Cyclop, we are left to wonder, every time we see cyclops balls, if we are playing with defective equipment.

Cycolp is such a shady operation that no one will even identify themselves as an owner or a representative of the company .. That's just a fact.

So make your own conclusions...

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Cyclop have a bad reputation on AZ, so it's refreshing to hear it from someone who played them long term than someone experiencing them for the first time at a tournament.

And some reported that was not theier experience.

They have not been, for me. Ibelieve mine are 2 or 3yr old, now. Run through polishere after 10-20 hrs of play, fwiw.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess I missed it, but was there any other than anecdotal evidence of cyclop quality control issues?

In the many threads about their play and them in general, there were more people than just I who were pleased with their quality.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Here is a test for all the "Cyclop" fans. Take a numbered and ball and cue ball and put them behind your back. I bet you can feel a texture difference between the two (I can most certainly tell and have been put to the test). This cannot be done with an Aranith set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I played with Cyclop in 2016....red dot cue ball, traditional colors.
I liked them....felt I could shorten or spread a bank better...spin transfer more.
.....not interested in the non standard colors, though.

IMG_3847.JPG

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a test for all the "Cyclop" fans. Take a numbered and ball and cue ball and put them behind your back. I bet you can feel a texture difference between the two (I can most certainly tell and have been put to the test). This cannot be done with an Aranith set.

Finally - someone willing to put up or shut up about Cyclop vs Aramith ..... for fun of course.

I own every set that Cyclop and Aramith have made - including every cue ball. So --- I'll take you up on this wager, Nick, any price, any time. You be the judge. Balls in hand. Behind your back. Minimum $1000 says you cannot tell the difference by feel - and I get to choose the representative ball sets from each manufacturer.

Tell you what - you can pick the ball sets from my collection and we'll get a few witnesses for the jury. You only have to "guess" the best 4 of 5 tries or 7 of 10 if you want to show off.

Let's see if you can do it.

I'll even fly you one-way into Dallas/Fort Worth. Your return trip can be paid for with your winnings. Transportation, hotel and dinner on me if you lose.

~K

Last edited:

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Finally - someone willing to put up or shut up about Cyclop vs Aramith ..... for fun of course.

I own every set that Cyclop and Aramith have made - including every cue ball. So --- I'll take you up on this wager, Nick, any price, any time. You be the judge. Balls in hand. Behind your back. Minimum $1000 says you cannot tell the difference by feel - and I get to choose the representative ball sets from each manufacturer.

Tell you what - you can pick the ball sets from my collection and we'll get a few witnesses for the jury. You only have to "guess" the best 4 of 5 tries or 7 of 10 if you want to show off.

Let's see if you can do it.

I'll even fly you one-way into Dallas/Fort Worth. Your return trip can be paid for with your winnings. Transportation, hotel and dinner on me if you lose.

~K

You don't have to take this personally. Because you can't doesn't mean that someone else can't. I showed four Euro's during the recent US Open 10ball that I could do it. Did it like 8 times in a row.

I'm 52 and I learnt many years ago if someone walks into a pool hall claiming to do the seamingly impossible keep your hands and and money in your pocket because he probably can.

I watched a guy claim he could make the blue ball off the spot with the cue ball in the mouth of the corner pocket on a snooker table and draw back into the same pocket. Asked for 3:1 on the money. Half the hall jumped on him. He missed the first two and made the next 11 in a row and busted the room.

The newest Cyclop are closer but the older eye type cueball is child's play. You can feel the different texture and in most cue balls the eye it's self.

Last edited: