APA Rules question

Ballbreaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When does the match officially start? Is it at the coin toss, or is it after the lag or after the break?

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
who cares.. lol omg what if you right the match started at 7:01 pm instead of 7 !! That will screw the handy caps completely lol

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It should start at the posted start time. The extra fifteen minutes teams are given to be ready is a deadline timer. Many leagues have bylaws which could change this however. It's been about 15 years since I ran one of their leagues, but that is the rule that used to be in place. If it's scheduled for 7pm, then that's the official start time.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
The match starts at the moment the CB hits the rack.

....legally hits the rack....

Interesting question. Depending on the circumstances there are several different answers.
During a tournament a TD will usually announce the start time so there will be a "hard line" time for sudden death matches to begin. For an individual match during weekly play a match begins when the rack is legally struck on the break shot, however, once a player is declared unless the 23 rule is in jeopardy you cannot change declared players.For these purposes you haven't violated the 23 rule until the rack is broken, simply lagging does not violate the rule (as it's been explained to me by the APA). Also keep in mind that once play begins it must be continuous, so if the opposing team puts up a player you can't take 10 minutes to put up your player so it's considered a sudden death match, manipulating the time structure is frowned upon.
But like during weekly play where the score sheet is asking for a start time, I think they're looking for a general start time between 7 and 7:15 (or top of the hour plus 15 minutes depending on your scheduled start time). During the week you may be waiting for the bar to uncover your table because it was being used for the happy hour buffet table or the poker table or maybe for the local after work drunks to finish up their game.

Why? What did you do?

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Come on, spill the beans, you cant ask a question like that and not tell us what happened:thumbup:

Tronpocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
between 2 players I would think the match starts at the time of the lag.
If your talkin about when the match starts between your team and theirs then its a scheduled start time.

Last edited:

Ballbreaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The question is not what time does it start, but when it becomes a legal match, coin toss, after the lag, or after the break of the 1st match, and I will post details tonight when I get home, its a pretty funny story

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty sure, based on the question, he's talking about the start time for an entire match, not an individual one, hence 'coin flip' in the original question.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
I'm guessing that someone miscued on the break and an argument ensued about who's turn it is.

I don't remember the APA rule, but in NAPA, the break shot is part of the game/match so if you miscue and the cue ball doesn't touch the rack, your opponent gets to shoot.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I'm guessing that someone miscued on the break and an argument ensued about who's turn it is.

I don't remember the APA rule, but in NAPA, the break shot is part of the game/match so if you miscue and the cue ball doesn't touch the rack, your opponent gets to shoot.

That is the way our BCA league plays

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
between 2 players I would think the match starts at the time of the lag.
If your talkin about when the match starts between your team and theirs then its a scheduled start time.

I would believe this is correct. No changing players after this point.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In APA, if the miscue results in a scratch, then opponent breaks. If the miscue resulted in an illegal break, (didn't hit first or second ball or 4 balls didn't hit a rail) the same person re-breaks. If second attempt results in illegal break, then opponent breaks.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
In APA, if the miscue results in a scratch, then opponent breaks. If the miscue resulted in an illegal break, (didn't hit first or second ball or 4 balls didn't hit a rail) the same person re-breaks. If second attempt results in illegal break, then opponent breaks.

This may be a local bylaw, but on a national level I think this is incorrect. Playing in the NTC in one 9 ball match the opponent was a small elderly gentleman, he won the lag but his break was so weak the he could not drive 4 dalls to a rail or make one. After cosulting with the referee floor supervisor the breaks continued. That poor guy, I thought he was gonna have a heart attack or pass out. It took him literally 8 tries and finally something fell and the game finally continued.
For the break to turn over a foul must occur, for a four to occur you must first have a legal break. For the break to actually count in the APA you must first strike the rack and either drive 4 balls (one of which may be the cue ball) to a rail or pocket a ball. Break attempts can continue by the same player until that player either pockets a ball or makes a legal break and a foul.

Last edited: