Is this a regular 3/8x10 or radial? And one other question

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never really bothered to figure out what a radial pin exactly is. All I know is that Bill Stroud apparently invented the original radial.

Here are a couple pics of the pin:

joint1.jpg

joint2.jpg

Edit: Just noticed the pics came out slightly blurry. If you need ones with better resolution let me know.

My second question is about purchasing a new shaft. I want to buy a new Predator 314-3 shaft for my cue, but Predator shafts are usually larger in diameter at the joint/collar area than the collar of my cue. If I buy one and then have a local cue maker trim down the shaft at the joint/collar area so that it's flush with the collar of my cue when screwed together, will it compromise the integrity of the shaft?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is certainly not a Radial pin and it looks alot like the type of 3/8-10 pin Bob Danielsson uses.
If your cue has a thinner than the regular .842" diameter it's no problem taking the shaft down to fit your cue and refinish the shaft. It might be more practical to start out with a 314/3 blank, that way you want loose the logo on the shaft.

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is certainly not a Radial pin and it looks alot like the type of 3/8-10 pin Bob Danielsson uses.
If your cue has a thinner than the regular .842" diameter it's no problem taking the shaft down to fit your cue and refinish the shaft. It might be more practical to start out with a 314/3 blank, that way you want loose the logo on the shaft.

Thanks for the info. What does a radial pin look like exactly?

cnyncrvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Contact Predator first and ask them about the possible warranty issues involved with having one of their blanks turned down. I don't know how that would work since they are super strict about even a light sanding of their shafts. Another option is to contact Tiger Products and look at their performance line of shafts. I know that they can match nearly any joint configuration and size for a reasonable "Custom" fee, as I have had them perform the job for me in the past matching the size, pin, and ring work on one of their shafts for a cue I have.

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Contact Predator first and ask them about the possible warranty issues involved with having one of their blanks turned down. I don't know how that would work since they are super strict about even a light sanding of their shafts. Another option is to contact Tiger Products and look at their performance line of shafts. I know that they can match nearly any joint configuration and size for a reasonable "Custom" fee, as I have had them perform the job for me in the past matching the size, pin, and ring work on one of their shafts for a cue I have.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it. Have you played with both Predator and Tiger shafts? Any noticeable differences? The limited experience I have with Tiger shafts is playing with a friend's Tiger shaft that fit my cue. It felt oddly weighty. Not in a bad way, but just different. I could have been imagining that for all I know, I didn't get a good chance to really give it a good test.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a Radial.
Bill S.

Bill, pretty sure you invented the radial pin. Was it your preferred joint construction or what was in your opinion the best joint and the one you felt played the best in your cues.

Have always loved your cues.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Who made the cue ?
Is this person still alive ?
Why aren't you having them make your desired shaft ?

They know what pin they use and I'll bet they can match the ring-work exactly.
They may not have to guess at the joint diameter either.
Not everyone will tell you this.

KJ