Goofy Habits while playing

smittie1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I shoot I have many goofy things I do. Mainly because when I shoot I shoot by myself and go into my own personal little elysium. Which is weird because while playing pool I'm dead quiet. But outside I'll yak your head off. But playing pool is my escape from well working on pool tables.

Anyways one thing I know I do that I hate is when I break I bite down on my lower lip. I'm not sure why.

And on shots where I'm angling and have to do sort of a goofy angle I stick my tongue usually in the direction of the pocket I'm going to. Which when I do it I'll sometimes hear my teamates say "Oh crap. He's thinking".

Other times when I shoot I'll hit a ball and stop my stick and just stand there until the ball stops.

The main thing I notice that I do is say I'm shooting a ball into the corner pocket on the opposite end of the table. Then my next shot I'll be shooting into the back corner from where I shot from. I'll shoot then basically keep the tip sort of aimed towards the cueball and put my arm in a curl position as if I'm curling a dumbell (A weight not me). Then I'll set it down and shoot.

I also will a lot of times keep a closed bridge on multiple shots even while I walk around the table and the cue is no where near the table.

I have many more but I want to hear yours.

TheConArtist

Daddy's A Butcher
Silver Member
i posted a few of my goofy habits awhile back in a thread like this and i didn't get much of a response, some people probably thought i was crazy LOL. I am very quiet at the table myself, in my own littel world. I know i use to think blinking my eyes would help me aim better but this was way like way, way long time ago LOL. My girlfriend says i move my feet when getting down into position over and over and said it looks funny but i think i am just planting myself into position, she thinks otherwise LOL. I had a buddy who use to close one eye and stick out his tongue, or i should say bite down on his tongue. I also have the habit of stroking my cue in the air, but this is a habit many players have, like Corey to name one. But yeah thats just a few or myne also.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I spin the cue with my grip hand when I am down on the shot(kind of like trying to find it's sweet spot). Oh and I use my own chalk, but that's because I don't want a chalk ring on my ferrule........goofy huh...!:eek:

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
The ones that get me ...

are the ones that stick their tongue out biting down on it, and the nerdy types with glasses that scrunch their face up when shooting, looking like Peewee Herman .... They always look like they aren't quite all there, and it makes me laugh.

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
Snapshot9 said:
are the ones that stick their tongue out biting down on it, and the nerdy types with glasses that scrunch their face up when shooting, looking like Peewee Herman .... They always look like they aren't quite all there, and it makes me laugh.

I see those scrunched face types around...LOLz...

I like the guy that shoots and swings his cue way up in the air on the follow through...:rolleyes:

I don't have any goofy habits, I'm probably real boring to watch play....LOLz
________

Last edited:

ragbug74

Next NYTimes Best-Seller!
Silver Member
I prefer to chew gum and blow bubbles while I shoot and I also carry my own chalk in my pocket. Nothing crazy, but I'm sure I have other little habits that I'm not aware of. These are the two that stick out in my mind.

9 ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a habbit when shooting whereby I point at the pocket I'm going to shoot at and then point to where I want to end up positionaly which helps me when playing, & also when I break my cue always ends up straight out in front of me with my right leg way out to the side.

Are any of these habbits unusual at all?.

PROG8R

Gator Nation
Silver Member
I have been known to drink too much beer when I play and don't have to work the next day.

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't like shooting with a piece of chalk on the table near the pocket I'm shooting in, nor with a piece of chalk on the rail to the left of my bridge hand. It sort of distracts my vision. To an outsider that doesn't realize this, it probably looks like I'm moving cubes of chalk around the rails for no apparent reason.

Cory

NaClBandit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm constantly moving chalks around on the table - away from the pocket I'm shooting at, away from where I'm bending over the rail, etc.

I hate having more than two chalks on a table.

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PROG8R said:
I have been known to drink too much beer when I play and don't have to work the next day.
You may have misread the question, which asked for "goofy" habits. The behavior you describe, in contrast, is completely normal.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll admit I've always been kind of a talker when I play. The more I'm chattering to my opponent (only while I'm shooting) the better I'm doing. If I'm having to think too hard..(and being quiet) then I'm usually doing bad. Drives my opponents crazy if I'm beating them. They sometimes take it as being disrespectful.

The only "goofy" thing I do, is kind of wave my stick in the air while saying an expletive when I miss a shot. I was playing a round of putt putt golf with my wife the other night (I'm real good at that game --- if it has a green surface and a hole to put a ball in I'm happy) and when I went one shot over for par on one of the holes I did my usual "miss" goofy routine. This odd look appeared (she NEVER comes with me when I play pool....EVER) on her face, she kind of laughed, and said, "What is that about?". I told her the story. It didn't help that she was getting SO LUCKY on every hole and either matching my score or beating me. I only ended up beating her by 2 strokes...but my score was skill, while hers was pure luck. She was pulling shots out of her butt, and it was just driving me crazy. She knows that I'm competitive in everything I do...even in "fun" putt putt golf against her. It doesn't make her mad, because she is competitive as well and understands it. That is why she will NEVER play pool with me, because I beat her very badly while trying to teach her something.....and I think that the fact I could potentially teach HER something drives HER crazy. :)

Can you tell it is slow in the office today? I'm a posting machine.....really dragging these things out. Eh?

smittie1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cory in DC said:
You may have misread the question, which asked for "goofy" habits. The behavior you describe, in contrast, is completely normal.

What is "GOOFY" about it is he does it when he DOESN'T have work the next day. It is normal if you drink too much and HAVE work the next day.

steev

Lazy User
Silver Member
i have a goofy habit i've been trying to break. sometimes when i shoot, i miss. but i'm working on it.

-s