bender vrs capone vrs ?

alpine9430

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ribdoner said:
From an investment point of view I would look at a SCRUGGS.
Or Showman...
There are some very nice 4-point, 4-veneer simple Scruggs or Showman cues that may be had for under $2K.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
alpine9430 said:
Or Showman...
There are some very nice 4-point, 4-veneer simple Scruggs or Showman cues that may be had for under $2K.
Your RIGHT...THAT TX. maker is top shelf...now the other one down there... Anyway, I only bring up TS based on health/age. Hard to say how many more he'll make and when he stops we'll all wish our hands would have been stronger:)

alpine9430

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ribdoner said:
Your RIGHT...THAT TX. maker is top shelf...now the other one down there... Anyway, I only bring up TS based on health/age. Hard to say how many more he'll make and when he stops we'll all wish our hands would have been stronger:)
Have heard only another year or two for Tim Scruggs before he retires.
His SS joints are highly sought after and if the person who started the thread liked the Schon (my first cue) then he will really like the Scruggs.

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have both a Scruggs and a Capone.
I won't say either is better than the other, but they are very different.
I highly recommend trying before buying, if you can.
If you can't, just buy both. :D

Pizza Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny, nobody's mentioned....

Valley Forge. It's right around the corner, and Raleigh isn't all that far away. Hop a plane or point the car north and come to the place where you can literally try cues from probably 100 different makers or more....including all those mentioned on this board.

My vote goes to Capone, but as all have said, hit is subjective. Besides, Mike needs the dough, now that he's going to be a papa (LOL).

Adios,

Pizza Bob

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
steev said:
i had a capone, and it was great, really helped my game. but, like so many others, i've switched to a scruggs. i'd say the capone was stiffer, but the TS has a lot more feel in my opinion.

i miss my capone...but not enough to get it back.

-s

Could've been a post from me. I have owned 2 custom cues, a Capone and a Scruggs. While Capone was an excellent cue and provided a nice stiff hit, I still prefer the Scruggs more. Scruggs gives more feedback and the feel is exactly what I had been looking for over a decade. Cannot go wrong if you just give it a try.

Vicki

Mrs. Capone
Silver Member
Pizza Bob said:
My vote goes to Capone, but as all have said, hit is subjective. Besides, Mike needs the dough, now that he's going to be a papa (LOL).

Adios,

Pizza Bob

My vote is also for the Capone :p :p See you at Valley Forge!

dakota

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Capone was my choice

Vee,

I have been lucky enough to own a number of the cues that you have mentioned. I have owned two Bender cues, a SouthWest cue, and I currently own a Mike Capone cue which is Ebony and Snakewood. In terms of hit and overall playability I prefer the Capone. In fact I sold the SouthWest cue to purchase the Capone that I currrently own. In terms of quality of work and construction, both Bender and Capone do incredible work. In fact when compared to SouthWest even, I think both Capone and Bender do better points and have some of the best and cleanest point work in the industry.

Either way, whether you choose a Bender or a Capone I think you will have one of the finest cues made today. If you are interested in a Capone cue please PM me as I may consider selling one. I used to be a bar manager at a pool hall and play all the time, but since I have changed jobs and mainly just play in pool leagues now, I may consider selling my Capone.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
I love my Capone. For me, it plays/hits the way I like is and I love sharp points. Mike does a great job on detailing his points.

Eric

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
I love my Capone. For me, it plays/hits the way I like is and I love sharp points. Mike does a great job on detailing his points.

Eric

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had Capones, Benders, and Scruggs, as well as Mottey, James White, Southwest, and almost all of the other cues listed in this post at one time or another.

If possible, hit with the cue you are expecting to buy. I have had cues from the same cuemaker hit completely different. Joint, taper, tip, balance, etc. are all subtle differences, but they are still differences.

If you are interested, I currently have a Scruggs for sale. Radial pin, flat faced steel joint. Hits softer than the Bender or Capones I have had. PM me if you are interested.

I would STRONGLY encourage you to take the trip to Valley Forge to hit with any and every kind of cue imaginable. You might fall in love with a cue for less than your $2k.