Almost Running Out

Ty-Tanic

Ty-Tanic Makes U Panic
Silver Member
The last couple weeks I have been getting a lot better and more consistent. But I keep falling short of running out either in 9-ball or 8-ball. Just yesterday, the first rack I played, I break, make a ball, and run out to the 9 playing great position, then of course dodge the 9-ball. I haven't been playing seriously for very long (maybe 6 months) and I am also taking lesson once every other week at the moment. The lesson are helping my game dramatically but I feel like my head just isn't quite when I start playing. Is there any secret to get pass this mental block?

foospot

Unregistered User
Silver Member
Same here

I can make spectacular run outs bumping clusters getting delicate shape solve all the problems but dog the last ball. For me I feel its focus, after i've solved the hard stuff and i think i've got this thats when i relax and my inner donkey shows up.

DanielDeTinne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get it. I have come so close to getting a break and run so many times. Both 8 ball and 9 ball. Yet, I just can't seem to close the deal. Makes me crazy. I have run out after my opponent breaks dry, but it's just not the same.
It will come,... eventually.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, we never stop missing balls accidentally.

I try to remember: I did all the work to get here, I am gonna make the best of it, dammit!

You won't make em all, but damn sure aren't going to miss them all either...dammit!

Last edited:

onepocket1

Champion Sweater
Silver Member
The last couple weeks I have been getting a lot better and more consistent. But I keep falling short of running out either in 9-ball or 8-ball. Just yesterday, the first rack I played, I break, make a ball, and run out to the 9 playing great position, then of course dodge the 9-ball. I haven't been playing seriously for very long (maybe 6 months) and I am also taking lesson once every other week at the moment. The lesson are helping my game dramatically but I feel like my head just isn't quite when I start playing. Is there any secret to get pass this mental block?

This is what worked for me -

1) practice last 3 balls on the table > 7-8-&9 or two balls and the 8.
this will create a comfort zone for your presure balls.
2) when you shoot the LAST ball > play position, just like every other shot.

Good Luck-

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've dogged more than my share of 8 & 9 balls after running out the rest of the rack from the break. Most of the time it is because I've gotten into my own head. My suggestion is to establish a pre-shot routine before every shot and treat the last shot like the previous 6 or 7 shots that got you to the end of the rack.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
A solid PSR helps. What I've seen a lot of is when players get to the point where they are getting through racks often their rhythm picks up with every ball without them realizing it. Give each ball it's due attention using a solid PSR to control your rhythm