Interesting construction technique

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Just got this cue in as a repair, someone left their case on top of their car, which resulted in the case going into the road and a car driving over it.
All the cues and shafts survived except this one, it broke where the forearm and handle are joined. As you can see it's finger jointed! the forearm is birds-eye and the plain maple handle was simply finger jointed to it.

Attachments

• joss.jpg
    joss.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 613
Last edited:

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Sheldon said:
Just got this cue in as a repair, someone left their case on top of their car.....
all the cues and shafts survived except this one, it broke where the forearm and handle are joined. As you can see it's finger jointed! the forearm is birds-eye and the plain maple handle was simply finger jointed to it.

Kinda like Balibushka did isn't it?
Moved the "A" joint back under the wrap where the wood was thicker.
Who made that cue, Sheldon?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
WilleeCue said:
Who made that cue, Sheldon?
That's a Joss.
I believe Bushka made the wrap start a little higher on the full-splice blanked cues he made ( he did not make the blank of course).
This cue was obviously tortured. If this cue had a metal stud, it would probably start buzzing b/c of the abuse.

RSB-Refugee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WilleeCue said:

Sort of, but not really, Balabushka "A" jointed the handle to a full spliced front. He also used a phenolic ring in the "A" joint under the linen.

Tracy

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
RSB-Refugee said:
Sort of, but not really, Balabushka "A" jointed the handle to a full spliced front. He also used a phenolic ring in the "A" joint under the linen.

Tracy
The famous "buzz ring". :)

RSB-Refugee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sheldon said:
Just got this cue in as a repair, someone left their case on top of their car.....
all the cues and shafts survived except this one, it broke where the forearm and handle are joined. As you can see it's finger jointed! the forearm is birds-eye and the plain maple handle was simply finger jointed to it.

The fact, that everything in the case faired well :), but this joint :( , doesn't say much for finger jointing, IMO. It is interesting though. Are you going to glue the broken pieces together, or cut them off and add a section between them?

Tracy

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
RSB-Refugee said:
The fact, that everything in the case faired well :), but this joint :( , doesn't say much for finger jointing, IMO. It is interesting though. Are you going to glue the broken pieces together, or cut them off and add a section between them?

Tracy
Tracy, looking at those cracks, the owner is not telling the whole truth imo.
If heat cracked the wood, the crack would follow a grain in my opinion.
If you follow the breaks , you can tell it went from top of picture down.
This cue was busted somehow. The owner just doesn't want to admit to it I think.

RSB-Refugee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeyInCali said:
This cue was busted somehow. The owner just doesn't want to admit to it I think.

Look at Sheldon's post again. He said it was left on top of the car, not in it. I guess when he (the owner) drove away it came crashing down. BTW, if I hit the lottery I will be sending you an order for one of those ER AZB specials. :)

Tracy

Last edited:

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
RSB-Refugee said:

I will be making a tenon on the forearm and installing a new handle. I will be able to do the repair very easily, with no refinishing necessary.

JoeyInCali said:

Did i forget to mention the owner told me the cue was RUN OVER BY A CAR. :D
Admitted it freely, too! :p

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
RSB-Refugee said:
Look at Sheldon's post again. He said it was left on top of the car, not in it. I guess when he drove away it came crashing down. BTW, if I hit the lottery I will be sending you an order for one of those ER AZB specials. :)

Tracy
Hang around the pool hall and repair shop. People do nasty things to their cues and make up stories later on. It's always " I loaned the cue and my friend smacked it." :D
Get a good match and win some for the ER Ltd. :)

Jon

Custom User Title
Silver Member
Sheldon said:
I will be making a tenon on the forearm and installing a new handle. I will be able to do the repair very easily, with no refinishing necessary.

I think this guy needs to invest in a different case :D .

Thanks,

Jon

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
BiG_JoN said:
I think this guy needs to invest in a different case :D

Yeah, I think he will too. He had one of the Instroke knock-offs with the Palmer name on it. I told him if he had used a real instroke case his cue would be fine... live and learn!

RSB-Refugee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sheldon said:

Makes sense to me. I don't know why I overlooked that option. :eek:

Sheldon said:

Yes, you did omit that little tidbit.

Tracy

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Sheldon said:

Cue Forensic Science would have proven him guilty anyway. :D
An Instroke or Whitten case would have saved this cue.

RSB-Refugee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sheldon said:

Will the balance point stay as original, or do you think it will change? Might be a good time to fine tune it, if he wanted it lighter, heavier or balanced differently.

Tracy

bandido

Player Power!
Silver Member
Viking does finger-joints. I would seem that since the joint is not at the usual forearmp/wrap spot, there wouldn't be any warpage problem in that area but having redone a few of these finger-jointed Vikings proved otherwise.

RSB-Refugee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bandido said:
Viking does finger-joints. I would seem that since the joint is not at the usual forearmp/wrap spot, there wouldn't be any warpage problem in that area but having redone a few of these finger-jointed Vikings proved otherwise.

I would guess these cues are only merrywidows or flat bottomed points? When you say proved otherwise do you mean they warp at the finger joint or end of the wrap?

Tracy

Jon

Custom User Title
Silver Member
Chris Byrne said:
Mali cues use this finger joint also. Just a useles tidbit of info.
Why do all of these production makers do this? It doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks,

Jon