Having table re leveled. Can you PLEASE give me some advice?

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an appointment in a week to have my 9', drop pocket, Anniversary model DC re leveled. I'd like to ask a few questions so I can speak with some knowledge come the day of re leveling.

The beeswax foot slate joint has popped. I already have on hand some Liquid Dowels, business cards, and some Bondo if the mechanic chooses to use them.

The table has always chronically had a drift toward most the cushioins. My hope is that this may indicate that the slate bolts have been over torqued, and some adjustments to the bolts and some shimming might correct this issue.

I have the rack and the spot line drawn on my cloth. I have a bad roll area two inches into the rear of the rack area. Until the Simonis 860 is removed, I cannot with certainty say if it has a crown or is sway back, or perhaps just an isolated minor flaw in the slate grinding.

Forgive my naivete, but can a small high area be gently flat sanded to remove a high spot? Conversely, if a straight edge shows a small low area, is Bondo ever used to correct such an irregularity. The spot is c. 2" wide and c. 12" in length. Perhaps this is something that someone with the right experience can shim out. I simply don't have the information to know.

I ask these questions because I'm a great player, but have entirely zero knowledge with regards to correcting these issues.

Anything you might be kind enough to throw my way would be appreciated more than I cans say.

I'd like to see things with a better bit of knowledge since so many issues may even bring to the point of sadly swapping out my Anniversary for a GCIV.

Thank you so much for your time! :smile::bow-down:

DSC_1013.jpg

Poolhalljunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Appointment

Who is your appointment with? Post who they are and ask for references here. Most of the mechanics here will let you know if you are going to receivie your money's worth.

BBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anniversary

Bob,

Did you receive my PM reply.

Give me a call.

Joe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob,

Did you receive my PM reply.

Give me a call.

Joe

PM received and one sent, Joe. Here's a paste in case you didn't receive it...:smile:

Thank you, Joe!

This appointment is a no charge "call back". Hopefully this guy can correct things. I'll give him a 2nd shot at things.

If things don't go well, I'll be in touch. Thanks for taking your time to respond! The table is totally parts complete. I simply need a skilled mechanic to sort things out.

P.S. Any thoughts about maybe using Bondo very thinly applied to the problem in the rack area; or is this a shoemaker solution? The Bondo is merely my idea, but I don't know if it's ever used, or is durable enough for my application.

As my games improves, I simply need a table capable of handling some slow rolls. That's my interest in the GCIV, but I hate to let go of this beautiful Anniversary. Got any ideas of a great mechanic in the Denver area, if I'm still not satisfied with what developes next Tuesday? HAPPY AND HEALTHY NEW YEAR TO YOU AND YOURS!! :D

Thanks again! :)

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PM received and one sent, Joe. Here's a paste in case you didn't receive it...:smile:

Thank you, Joe!

This appointment is a no charge "call back". Hopefully this guy can correct things. I'll give him a 2nd shot at things.

If things don't go well, I'll be in touch. Thanks for taking your time to respond! The table is totally parts complete. I simply need a skilled mechanic to sort things out.

P.S. Any thoughts about maybe using Bondo very thinly applied to the problem in the rack area; or is this a shoemaker solution? The Bondo is merely my idea, but I don't know if it's ever used, or is durable enough for my application.

As my games improves, I simply need a table capable of handling some slow rolls. That's my interest in the GCIV, but I hate to let go of this beautiful Anniversary. Got any ideas of a great mechanic in the Denver area, if I'm still not satisfied with what developes next Tuesday? HAPPY AND HEALTHY NEW YEAR TO YOU AND YOURS!! :D

Thanks again! :)

Bob, I have a black GC4 and matching Brunswick light for sale if you go that route

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob, I have a black GC4 and matching Brunswick light for sale if you go that route

Nah,my guy has a nice rosewood IV that we may swap out. Are you a DENVER dealer and mechanic??? Then maybe we can talk...

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I would never let that Anniversary out of my hands. That table looks like it would be more than worth new slate if needed.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would never let that Anniversary out of my hands. That table looks like it would be more than worth new slate if needed.

Yeah, I agree. I've wanted an Anniversary for over 50 years.

In 1961 I was 14 years old and Brunswick opened a new bowling center in E. Cleveland, Ohio. Shaw Lanes.

On opening day, Willie Mosconi made a brief visit as an open house promotion.

I stood in awe for 2 hours as he put on an exibition and chatted. I couldn't even get into the pool area because they sold alcohol, but Willie noticed my intense interest and invited me to come on over.

He showed me how to do the opening break shot in straight pool. Soooo, I can actually say I played with Mr. Mosconi; albeit for only one or two minutes.

Since then this table has been an obsession of mine. When I moved from Orlando to Denver, I found a pristine survivor, one family owned table right in downtown Denver.

Things are looking up. I spoke to the company yesterday, and they've added a professional mechanic since my table was first installed over two years ago.

They've been so accomodating, that they're even bringing back up slates in the event they need them. Holy Cow, am I stoked!!! :grin:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Well good luck, sounds like they are going to take good care of you and make your table play as good as it looks. My GCII was also a privately owned survivor, it was white when I got but we stained it when rails were modified for current cushions. The only 2 tables I would trade my GCII for would be an Anniversary, I love those tables, or a GCV, just because I like the way they look. I always keep my eyes open in case an Anniversary pops up around me that is worth bringing back to life. Sounds like you will be enjoying your beautiful table soon.

Last edited:

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well good luck, sounds like they are going to take good care of you and make your table play as good as it looks. My GCII was also a privately owned survivor, it was white when I got but we stained it when rails were modified for current cushions. The only 2 tables I would trade my GCII for would be an Anniversary, I love those tables, or a GCV, just because I like the way they look. I always keep my eyes open in case an Anniversary pops up around me that is worth bringing back to life. Sounds like you will be enjoying your beautiful table soon.

Debating on a re cover. Currently 860 blue/green. Maybe Simonis green, or Tournament blue.

Thoughts?

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Debating on a re cover. Currently 860 blue/green. Maybe Simonis green, or Tournament blue.

Thoughts?

I suppose you can tell by my avatar pic that I am a fan of traditional green. I think it also depends on the color of your rails, to me the darker the wood finish is the better they look in blue. My GCII does not have a real dark wood finish so besides preferring the traditional green I think it looks better than blue would.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suppose you can tell by my avatar pic that I am a fan of traditional green. I think it also depends on the color of your rails, to me the darker the wood finish is the better they look in blue. My GCII does not have a real dark wood finish so besides preferring the traditional green I think it looks better than blue would.

Yeah, in retrospect I agree. I believe when God invented the pool table, he intended the cloth to be green and the chalk to be blue. :wink:

As long as it's all torn apart, I figured why not do it over completely. I shot him an email last night to bring along 9' of 860 Simonis Green.

I think it will give it a more classic, retro 60's look. I just don't have the guts to go Tournament Blue. Nice for TV, but I was afraid I'd get tired of it. The only colors used when I was a kid were a bowling alley with an off blue, and if memory serves, a handful of pukey gold. They were white AMF tables which I believe were introduced to compete with the then, new Gold Crowns. The table is currently Simonis Blue/green.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You'd be stepping down if you ever went with a New GC. Your table is much better built than any of them. If you wanted to change, go back a few years and get a T-Rail with compound rails. Other than that stick with what you have. Wonderful playing table.

If ever I went back to pool this is what I'd do. When your table was made Brunswick was still in the quality pool business. After many things including the fire they went another direction IMO. Tables still make them money but minor compared to the rest.

BBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cloth

Bob,

My suggestion is Simonis 760 Hands down...

Never played on the 860, hear its a tad slower, choice of pool room because it last longer.

Jeremy Chambers recently recovered and installed new Superspeed cushions and wood sub-liners on all Anniversary tables and recovered the Gold Crown I at the IBC in Blue Green 760.

The tables roll true and play super fast, the color is stunning.

Joe

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Bob,

My suggestion is Simonis 760 Hands down...

Never played on the 860, hear its a tad slower, choice of pool room because it last longer.

Jeremy Chambers recently recovered and installed new Superspeed cushions and wood sub-liners on all Anniversary tables and recovered the Gold Crown I at the IBC in Blue Green 760.

The tables roll true and play super fast, the color is stunning.

Joe

The 760 is interesting. Do a lot of you guys use 760 instead of 860 on older 9' non-Diamonds? I say non-Diamonds because they tend to play fast, I cant imagine what a Diamond would be like with 760.

coryjames

Registered
The 760 is interesting. Do a lot of you guys use 760 instead of 860 on older 9' non-Diamonds? I say non-Diamonds because they tend to play fast, I cant imagine what a Diamond would be like with 760.

I have only played on 760 once, it is faster and I think I could get use to it. Only thing is everyone else uses 860. I'd like a both please.

Dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blue

I used to be in the traditional green camp.
I've had Tournament Blue on my table for six years.
There's no looking back for me.
Superior contrast is the big selling point, I'd say.
Easy on the eyes, as well... although you should light the table with a warm bulb or tube.... in the 2700K range.
You may want to play on the blue before you make your decision.

Good Luck