G10 pin pros/cons?

Newton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would polish them if there are rough spots or burrs.

I don't think I would put a hardening coating on them--what tends to happen with coatings on screws (not talking cue pins specifically, rather screws in general) is that the coating chips off, stays in the threads and acts as an abrasive or binds the action.

dld

I do agree that if you put any clear or something on, naturally it would wear off.
Would do some experimenting on this to see how things performs-my first idea would be raw pollishing and then some wax on shaft and pin:smile:

Is that Double Dave by the way-or do I mix ?

K

nevermiss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same feeling here.
Somehow it just hits better.
I will have to charge a little more for it b/c I'm going to use a Juma insert on all shafts for all G10 pins. That way the threads last a lot longer.
A thin CA on top of linseed oil should smoothen that G10 a little.

Imo they are great for A-joint stud as well. Glues extremely well and has a lot less chance of buzzing like metal.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is juma? Thanks in advance.

danutz

Banned
G10 is, technically, a phenolic. Phenolic refers only to the resin which is impregnated into the solid fillers/weaves.

dld

Well sure, if you want to get technical about it:grin: I think, "that nasty glass crap" is better suited for it tho:D

bdcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you have G10 in all thread form? I have only seen pins with the locating barrel. I woudn't think that would work at the a-joint.

Thanks,

Eric

Works at the A-joint just fine.
A little polishing of the G-10 along with carnauba wax on the shaft threads and all is well.
As for the shaft backing off I have had the same problem with standard metal 3/8x10 pins also and always check after a couple of racks regardless of pin used.
Like others the use of different pin material allows you to tailor the weight of the cue pretty easy. I also think the G-10 resonates at a rate closer to the wood and use it when ever possible as I believe it allows the cue to do more work. Could I tell which of 2 cues had the G-10? Hard to say but probably not unless like stated above that you had one cue and switched pins for testing.

Bob Danielson

Brickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with Dick and Murray except for one flaw with G10 I have noticed is that I can never get the cue tight. There's always flex once the shaft is tightened down to the butt. It's tough to explain, but there's always an extra little bit of turn I can get once tight, then it twists back when I let go. For that reason, I have only used G10 a few times. My pin is 3/8-10, and a Radial has a bit more meat in even though it's also 3/8 major, so it may not have that extra bit of flex. Otherwise, I have not seen any issues with G10.

I have the same problem but only with G10 radial, the 3/8 x 10 works ok and will lock. The G10 radial will not lock and as you play you have to tighten every so often.

Have tried carbon fibre pins and they are great only downside is cost!!! Bought a rod and had pins made and the cost was around $25.00 a pin but it cuts great compared to G10.