Scam or Honest Mistake?

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know the guy you're talking about and he is not internet savvy. I do not think he understands poaching pics is bad and can sometimes get you in trouble.

I think it was unintentional.

JV

If you know him please tell him to lose the picture.

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just curious how you know for sure it was your table? Was it things in the room that were in the background of the photo that clued you in? Was it a photo you had posted online on this or another website that he could have copied and used in his ad? If you know for sure it is indeed your table, at the very least it is extremely deceitful, and I would most likely not do business with him.

It's my table in my basement.

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
He does all the restoration himself. Strips, paints, etc.. He works out of his garage and basement, chances are he cannot reset it up for pics. I am not making excuses for him, I am just saying that is how he works. So I am not justifying using other peoples pics, just giving you insight.

If its Sloezen Billiards, he is legit. Everyone in North Jersey knows Karl, he is not hard to find.

JV

The man allegedly told the potential buyer that this was a picture of a table he restored. Only after being told that he spoke with the owner did the story change. That's not cool and beyond having a lack of technological know how.

Last edited:

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for clearing this up. If this is true, Pogmothoin needs to explain why he was confused or might think it was a scam. Does he have the email? Did he not see the circumstances? Why come here publicly without checking out the facts?

I didn't name the person in my original post, and I haven't confirmed anyone in particular was the offending party. Scam or honest mistake was the question. I asked what the AZB community thought of the practice. You can defend him if you like but the simple fact is he was using my picture to sell a table and allegedly represented it as being his work. When you misrepresent something it's also known as being dishonest. I don't know what his intentions were. May be a great guy, maybe not.

Last edited:

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
I am speaking to him now. He showed your table as reference to what the table they were discussing, "could" look like. He never claimed this as his work, nor ever said he had this table in stock, his has ash tray corners. He found it on the internet to show what a blue sided table looked like.

This is from him...

JV

The man allegedly told the potential buyer that this was a picture of a table he restored. Only after being told that he spoke with the owner did the story change. That's not cool and beyond having a lack of technological know how.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
The picture in question has been posted on this site. It's my table, in my basement, it's my picture. Feel free to use it if you like but please don't represent you did the work.

He didn't according to the explanation. He used it as a model of what he could do. There's nothing wrong with that when you put your pics up in public domain, as in here's an example of what can be done.

Did you bother checking it out? You still have not explained your confusion over the event.

Last edited:

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member
He didn't according to the explanation. He used it as a model of what he could do. There's nothing wrong with that when you put your pics up in public domain, as in here's an example.

Did you bother checking it out? You have not explained your confusion over the event.

First of all I know both of these men. Greg the OP never outed Karl as the person who used the picture of his table to possibly advertise for his business. I do not know beyond that what happened because I was not there. But to question the OP about asking for opinions of others on AZ is nuts. The OP asked a simple question. Scam or Honest Mistake? That is all he did.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
First of all I know both of these men. Greg the OP never outed Karl as the person who used the picture of his table to possibly advertise for his business. I do not know beyond that what happened because I was not there. But to question the OP about asking for opinions of others on AZ is nuts. The OP asked a simple question. Scam or Honest Mistake? That is all he did.

But it's wrong for me to question him why he thought it was a scam? At this point, based on Joe's explanation, it clearly wasn't. This didn't belong here. He omitted factual information for whatever reason. By the way, we questioned his story as confused right from beginning. Just because he didn't name the vendor doesn't excuse the misrepresentation.

Last edited:

PoolTable911

Silver Member
But it's wrong for me to question him why he thought it was a scam? At this point, based on Joe's explanation, it clearly wasn't. This didn't belong here.

Agree to disagree..... What factual info did he leave out?

Last edited:

PoolTable911

Silver Member
But it's wrong for me to question him why he thought it was a scam? At this point, based on Joe's explanation, it clearly wasn't. This didn't belong here. He omitted factual information for whatever reason. By the way, we questioned his story as confused right from beginning. Just because he didn't name the vendor doesn't excuse the misrepresentation.

What are the facts he left out?

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Agree to disagree..... What factual info did he leave out?

That the picture was a representation of what the table mechanic could do with finishes, not a table for sale.

What he should have posted was something like:

"Is it unethical for a pool table mechanic to use a picture I posted on AZ Billiards as an example of a finished table he could produce?"

He represented it as a possible fraudulent sale - it clearly wasn't. It's becoming gradually more obvious he knew that, but was irritated and surprised his photo was used without permission. If he were deceived in the presentation or somehow confused, he would have said so by now.

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The person who brought it to the OP's attention said the guy passed it off as his work. That is the reason for his concern. After what I've been through during the resto of my GCI, I'd be pissed if someone took a pic off the web of my completed table and said they did the work or even hinted it was their work.

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tate there’s no confusion on my part. Absolutely none. What you don’t understand I can’t account for. The person who used my photo allegedly represented that he refinished the table. I wasn’t a party to the conversation so I used no names. However if it comes down to a “he said, she said” argument my guy had no motive to lie. Can the same be said for the person using the photo? I don’t know hence the question. I still have not confirmed who the person is despite others claiming to know. To to give me crap for asking a question about the business practices used by this person makes me wonder what your issues are.

PoolTable911

Silver Member
That the picture was a representation of what the table mechanic could do with finishes, not a table for sale.

What he should have posted was something like:

"Is it unethical for a pool table mechanic to use a picture I posted on AZ Billiards as an example of a finished table he could produce?"

He represented it as a possible fraudulent sale - it clearly wasn't. It's becoming gradually more obvious he knew that, but was irritated his photo was used without permission. If he were deceived in the presentation or somehow confused, he would have said so by now.

Below is the quote from his first post....It was another AZer who called Karl and was told the part about him saying he could make a table look like that but he did not do it. Bottom line is don't post tables for sale that you did not do or at least make sure it is clear in the ad it is not your work. And for the record I like Karl!

He spoke with the business owner and asked him if he had refinished the table and he said that he had. When told that he knew who the table belonged to this business owner allegedly said something to the effect of "oh maybe I got that mixed up with another table"

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
The person who brought it to the OP's attention said the guy passed it off as his work. That is the reason for his concern. After what I've been through during the resto of my GCI, I'd be pissed if someone took a pic off the web of my completed table and said they did the work or even hinted it was their work.

But after the explanation from the pool table mechanic, that's not what actually happened. From the OP's responses, I don't believe that's what happened either. If the OP know the mechanic said it was an example of his work, there's no question it would be a scam.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Tate there’s no confusion on my part. Absolutely none. What you don’t understand I can’t account for. The person who used my photo allegedly represented that he refinished the table. I wasn’t a party to the conversation so I used no names. However if it comes down to a “he said, she said” argument my guy had no motive to lie. Can the same be said for the person using the photo? I don’t know hence the question. I still have not confirmed who the person is despite others claiming to know. To to give me crap for asking a question about the business practices used by this person makes me wonder what your issues are.

OK then I'll take that at face value.

My issue is I would have looked into it a little further and asked for an explanation before suspecting fraud.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But after the explanation from the pool table mechanic, that's not what actually happened. From the OP's responses, I don't believe that's what happened either. If the OP know the mechanic said it was an example of his work, there's no question it would be a scam.

As pointed out by the OP a few posts up, his informant has no skin in the game and therefore no reason to lie. The mechanic on the other hand...