Why do players spin the cue ball against the rail a few times prior to breaking.

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been playing since 60's and never saw it done since streaming days now. Naturally I myself would wipe a cue ball now and then. This a scrapping method?

Banks

Banned
Bored, killing a few seconds of time. Same reason people feel a need to toss the balls around the table with their hand if they're standing close.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Yeah. Off of the cue ball and right back on the rail so it can get on the cue ball again.

Someone should do a controlled experiment to test whether most of the chalk that is transfered to the cueball during play is from tip to cueball contact or the cueball contacting the headrail and picking up remnant chalk from it.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
It harkens back to ancient times. It's supposed to rub the evil spirits from off the surface of the ball.
In modern times it's suppose to wipe the crud off the surface of the ball which is pretty much the same thing. :)

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Between racks I clean the CB with the tail of my shirt.

I use my underwear, if they don't quit right there, they are too weirded out to focus on the game and you can beat them easily.

I've seen people put the ball in their pocket and roll it around in there to clean it.