ESPN Stream --- Smart TV

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was able to stream the WPBA event on my computer after I logged into my cable company.

I was also able to get to the ESPN 3 web site on my smart TV but when I clicked on the WPBA event, the screen stayed black and wouldn't stream.

I tried doing some research online and couldn't find a solution. Did anyone experience the same issue?

flash5153

none
Silver Member
I was having a issue to. But I finally found this link on another thread here,,and it worked.

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/id/817665/wpba-masters

I did have another problem too,,seems it wouldn't start right up, every time. Not sure why,,but it might take a second try. But when it does work,,it starts up immediately.

I watched the match that came up today. Now I can't find the rest of it. I don't see any archived matches on the espn site. Anyone know where they are ??

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry if I wasn't being clear. I had no problems at all watching it on my computer. I just couldn't watch it on my smart TV. I don't think smart TVs have pop up blockers. I did get as far as the ESPN 3 web site. Just couldn't get the stream to work.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I have a smart tv also. It really isn't so smart, but they do have pop up blockers. There are setting somewhere in the browsers tools.

I tell ya the truth, I've given up on the streaming thing on these tv's. Not so much because you can't always see the stream, but if you hit the wrong button on the remote you have to go all the way through retyping it in with that damned remote.

I bought a usb keyboard, but it's still a pain in the ass.

On a side note, my wife and daughter asked me to buy them an Asus tablet recently. Same useless pain in the butt!

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a smart tv also. It really isn't so smart, but they do have pop up blockers. There are setting somewhere in the browsers tools.

I tell ya the truth, I've given up on the streaming thing on these tv's. Not so much because you can't always see the stream, but if you hit the wrong button on the remote you have to go all the way through retyping it in with that damned remote.

On a side note, my wife and daughter asked me to buy them an Asus tablet recently. Same useless pain in the butt!

I paid 200 more on my TV just to get the 'Internet Ready' feature.

Maybe im dumb but the only sites i could get on were the ones offered to me-Youtube, Hulu and maybe 10 more sites listed in the settings somewhere. Now all i seem to get is those sites in 1/4 page. Bottom line i never use the TV like that. I do use it though as a monitor connected to my laptop but i could have done that for 200 less.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I paid 200 more on my TV just to get the 'Internet Ready' feature.

Maybe im dumb but the only sites i could get on were the ones offered to me-Youtube, Hulu and maybe 10 more sites listed in the settings somewhere. Now all i seem to get is those sites in 1/4 page. Bottom line i never use the TV like that. I do use it though as a monitor connected to my laptop but i could have done that for 200 less.

How do you connect the TV to your laptop when you use it as a monitor? Do you use the USB connection, or something else? I'd like to try that way for streaming.

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

OK, thanks, I'll look for pop up blocker settings. I still like it for streaming Netflix. It's so incredibly easy to do and the quality is great.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do you connect the TV to your laptop when you use it as a monitor? Do you use the USB connection, or something else? I'd like to try that way for streaming.

I've seen it done with a HDMI cable, I beleive? Could be wrong...
I just watch on the computer due to my wife watching something on thebig screen TV usually. No biggie.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have my PC hooked-up to my TV. In fact, I just bought a new TV so everything is still fresh.

On my old TV, I used a standard PC-monitor cable from PC to TV and a male:male audio cable. Although this works, I don't advise going this way for streaming because the sound-quality is poor. It forces you to turn the sound all the way up, using more power and possibly was the cause of my TV blowing-out.

On my new Samsung TV (40", 1080p, 120 refresh), there is no PC-monitor port so instead, I went with a DVI-HDMI cable connection. This eliminated the need for a separate audio cable and provides much better sound. I use this arrangement to watch HBOGo, youtube and all streaming sites without any problem.

It really depends on what your laptop can use. Can you send a link for the model you have? I can provide available options from there.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have my PC hooked-up to my TV. In fact, I just bought a new TV so everything is still fresh.

On my old TV, I used a standard PC-monitor cable from PC to TV and a male:male audio cable. Although this works, I don't advise going this way for streaming because the sound-quality is poor. It forces you to turn the sound all the way up, using more power and possibly was the cause of my TV blowing-out.

On my new Samsung TV (40", 1080p, 120 refresh), there is no PC-monitor port so instead, I went with a DVI-HDMI cable connection. This eliminated the need for a separate audio cable and provides much better sound. I use this arrangement to watch HBOGo, youtube and all streaming sites without any problem.

It really depends on what your laptop can use. Can you send a link for the model you have? I can provide available options from there.

Thanks for the info Jude. It caused me to take a closer look at my laptop and lo and behold, I found a HDMI port. Never knew it was there.

My TV does have a PC monitor port for ARC use. Don't know what that is but it's a HDMI port so I'll connect the cable to that port and see what happens. Hopefully, I won't blow anything up.

Thanks for your help.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the info Jude. It caused me to take a closer look at my laptop and lo and behold, I found a HDMI port. Never knew it was there.

My TV does have a PC monitor port for ARC use. Don't know what that is but it's a HDMI port so I'll connect the cable to that port and see what happens. Hopefully, I won't blow anything up.

Thanks for your help.

Oh, if you have an HDMI port, that's definitely the way to go and it will transmit video AND audio. It basically means your laptop was built for this.

The last step is getting a wireless keyboard & mouse. Staples has nice packages for about $40.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, if you have an HDMI port, that's definitely the way to go and it will transmit video AND audio. It basically means your laptop was built for this.

The last step is getting a wireless keyboard & mouse. Staples has nice packages for about $40.

OK, so why the wireless keyboard and mouse? Is that just for convenience? I will still be controlling everything through the laptop, right?

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry Fran i didnt come back to the thread til now. I guess u have all the info. Not sure if anyone mentioned-the only other semi tricky part for this is selecting the correct input. This is done with the TV remote or the universal remote in TV mode. The input should be labeled or at least mine is labeled HDMI 3- urs might be HDMI 2-I thought it was going to be the 'PC' input but it wasnt.

Anyway once you have the hang of it -you can set up the whole thing in less than 2 minutes and it sure beats watching on the LT.

SloMoHolic

When will then be now?
Silver Member
In case anyone is still interested:

Many smart TVs have really old versions of Adobe Flash Player, and most websites are constantly updating their content with the latest Flash features, especially those that provide video. Firmware updates from the TV's manufacturer are (usually) the only way to update the TV's Flash player, and most of them never bother. Major players like YouTube release "app" updates for the TV that are compatible with the latest Flash versions, so there is very little incentive for the TV manufacturers to update their firmware (which includes the Internet browser and its Flash version).

Anyway, smart TVs are great for some things, but not for general web browsing especially when video is involved. Much better to connect your computer.

HDMI is probably the best way to hook up a laptop or desktop to your TV. If you have a desktop without HDMI out, you can buy a reasonably cheap graphics card (<$50) with an HDMI port. Many current laptops already have HDMI ports built in.

Let me know (via PM) if I can help.

Hope this helps,

-Blake
(IT Pro and home theater "enthusiast")