lathe tune up

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
My hightower lathe saddle was getting a little sloppy after 3 years of hard use, so I decided it was time to fix it. I put in a delrin gib to replace the original brass gib. It does make it move smoother.

While I was at it I cleaned up the cross slide, lubed and adjusted the gib on it. I lube the taper slide with oil but I lube the cross slide with white lithium grease.

I removed both chucks and took them apart. I cleaned out the insides of the scroll and relubed with white lithium grease. I realigned the tailstock to the headstock......

I have never changed the drive belt and it looks like new.

Works just like a new lathe..............

It took about an hour of my time...............

Kim

Dirtbmw20

Lee Casto
Silver Member
An hour !!!! Took me two fricking hours just to get my jaws aligned back correctly on the damn scroll, lol.

Now that I added power feed I notice mine isn't as smooth as it should be and was wondering if the delrin gib would help any. I'm having a hell of a time getting mine adjusted where it doesn't have too much slop/play in the carriage but still glide smooth enough for the feed. Hadnt found that "sweet spot" yet. Already ruined one pinion gear.

Lee Casto

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I bought the delrin gib from Chris. The dovetail lathe bed must be smooth and you have to lube it with 30 weight non detergent oil often.... Put oil on the top of the bed and also wipe some on the underside of the dovetail.... that's where the gib slides........ use your fingers....

If you drop something on the bed that makes a ding.... use a large sharpening stone and oil to smooth it out.

My lathe has always been tight near the ends of travel on the bed.... I adjust the gib acordingly.....

Before you remove a chuck.... fully close the jaws. I don't take the jaws out of the chuck... if you do ...mark where they go with a marking pen.....

Km

Last edited:

Russell Cues

Maverick Cue Builder
Silver Member
I bought the delrin gib from Chris. The dovetail lathe bed must be smooth and you have to lube it with 30 weight non detergent oil often.... Put oil on the top of the bed and also wipe some on the underside of the dovetail.... that's where the gib slides........ use your fingers....

If you drop something on the bed that makes a ding.... use a large sharpening stone and oil to smooth it out.

My lathe has always been tight near the ends of travel on the bed.... I adjust the gib acordingly.....

Before you remove a chuck.... fully close the jaws. I don't take the jaws out of the chuck... if you do ...mark where they go with a marking pen.....

Km

I keep everything clean and oiled plus my jaws are cleaned once a month. Im getting ready to order from Chris the week so ill get a new gib. If I take the jaws out to change them I do it one at a time.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I keep everything clean and oiled plus my jaws are cleaned once a month. Im getting ready to order from Chris the week so ill get a new gib. If I take the jaws out to change them I do it one at a time.

I have never changed the jaws in my chuck..... I haven't cut the jaws since the first week I after I bought the lathe.......... I occasionally wipe the jaws with 220 sand paper just to clean them. I mark the holes in the chuck 1, 2, and 3. I chuck up a dead center in the in the jaws and put a dial indicator on it about 2 inches out from the jaws. I repeatedly loosen and tighten the chuck and see which which hole gives the most accurate indication. One of the holes will always make the dead center run truer than the other 2. Find out which one and always use it. For tiny adjustments, watch the indicator and tap the "high" jaw with a small piece of wood... works every time... I can get most anything to spin with a 1 thou or less runout.

Kim

Russell Cues

Maverick Cue Builder
Silver Member
I have never changed the jaws in my chuck..... I haven't cut the jaws since the first week I after I bought the lathe.......... I occasionally wipe the jaws with 220 sand paper just to clean them. I mark the holes in the chuck 1, 2, and 3. I chuck up a dead center in the in the jaws and put a dial indicator on it about 2 inches out from the jaws. I repeatedly loosen and tighten the chuck and see which which hole gives the most accurate indication. One of the holes will always make the dead center run truer than the other 2. Find out which one and always use it. For tiny adjustments, watch the indicator and tap the "high" jaw with a small piece of wood... works every time... I can get most anything to spin with a 1 thou or less runout.

Kim

I do mark the one hole to use when chucking up on a piece. And I have tapped the jaw end to "get it just right" ). I do bore the jaws, when needed, in 10 plus years of repairs and building im on my second set? Then again I do use my lathe a ridiculous amount, I cant just walk in my shop for a few mins, never happens. I have a cue building addiction, my name is Tony, and I dont care lol.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I do mark the one hole to use when chucking up on a piece. And I have tapped the jaw end to "get it just right" ). I do bore the jaws, when needed, in 10 plus years of repairs and building im on my second set? Then again I do use my lathe a ridiculous amount, I cant just walk in my shop for a few mins, never happens. I have a cue building addiction, my name is Tony, and I dont care lol.

I have a cue building addiction, my name is Tony, and I dont care......... LOL

sounds like an AA meeting speech..........

I know the feeling

Kim.......

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Before you switch out from brass to delrin gibs, you might want to use the brass to lap the bed. After everything is lined back up evenly, then clean your choice of lapping compound off, and switch out gibs.

Procedure:
http://www.cartertools.com/setup.html

Not a bad idea but my lathe is worn in from 3 years of hard use.... I have had to stone a few dings and scratches to smooth it out.............

Kim