Legend of Rambow

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
These are examples of Albert Pick cues from 1921, shortly before Herman went to work for them.
So, it's very possible that from 1922 to about 1925 Herman would have been responsible for the crew that was making these.

1921 Albert Pick Cues.jpg

ANYONE HAVE ONE OF THESE?

Last edited:

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are several theories/stories floating around about "why" Herman left Brunswick. For example, one theory is that he wasn't getting the "credit" he deserved for his cue innovations...

Which is a perfectly reasonable theory....

However, when you consider the time-frame in which he left, there is also another contributing factor that may have had something to do with his departure...

He was German.

---------------------------------------------

The persecution of Germans during WW I

During World War 1, the persecution of Germans in American society was so pronounced that Germans were forced to abandon their language and customs, at least in public. German books were burned outside numerous libraries, while Beethoven was banned from symphonic repertories. The atmosphere was such that Germans hid the fact they were German and changed their own names-Schmitz to Smith, and so forth. For its part, the public renamed almost every German street and landmark and even altered menus, so that sauerkraut became Liberty Cabbage, and so on....

...When war ended and the huge numbers of veterans returned home again, tensions flared red-hot as blacks were displaced from their new jobs and urban unemployment and poverty rates grew. Large race riots occurred in East St. Louis in July 1917 and in Chicago in July 1919; indeed, race riots occurred in nineteen other cities in 1919. Post-war labor dislocations also caused strikes to spread across the country in 1919. Acts of terrorism and violence led to antilabor hysteria, prompting the Palmer raids.

The postwar recession of 1920-22 worsened social conditions. The upshot was that government-sponsored intolerance and hysteria, encouraged for wartime purposes, continued to grow even after the war ended. Hence political nativism crested in the early 1920s.....

source:http://www.fff.org/freedom/0995c.asp
------------------------------------------------------------------

The Brunswicks were "off the hook" so to speak, having been Swiss.
But was Herman in fear of being jailed or worse because of his nationality?
Maybe so...if they knew where to find him.

It could be that Herman left Brunswick to take the political heat off of them. (Then he opens a new shop pretending to be Swedish?)

Another interesting twist is the fact that Herman ended up working for Albert Pick when he did. (of all the companies out there to go work for)
Because it appears that Pick's establishment was known for harboring Germans that spoke out publicly against with the war.

This type of dissent was perceived as no less than a threat to national security, so the FBI was charged with rounding up all trash talkers and making them disappear...

Check out this FBI file from 1917...they were hot on the trail of one of those damn Germans, by the name of Harry Petersen, and they somehow knew to find him at Pick's...

1917 FBI Files.jpg

niki1990

Charles Kimmel. That's my great-grandpa

Charles Kimmel, Official Golf Scorer
September 28, 1990|By Kenan Heise.

Charles Kimmel, 88, a golf scorekeeper, served as the official scorer for more than a thousand professional golf tournaments in a career that spanned 59 years.

A resident of Des Plaines, he died of cancer Wednesday at Lutheran General Hospital, Park Ridge.

``He was very outgoing and friendly and had a fantastic memory to go with it,`` his daughter, Marilyn Meyers, said. ``He could recall names, places and dates in every sport, but especially in golf. He would walk into a club and would know the first and last names as well as the faces of all the members.``

His scoreboards have been famous since 1931 when he scored his first major tournament. He wrote the players` names and scores in flawless Old English script. As electronic scoreboards took over on the course, his clubhouse boards remained the ones next to which the winners posed.

Mr. Kimmel started playing golf in the mid-1920s and continued playing into his late 80s, proud of the fact that he continued to be able to shoot his age. He learned calligraphy from his father and developed a style that was similar to a printer`s work.

A neat and accurate man, he was appalled in 1931 when as a spectator he attended the U.S. Amateur Tournament at the Beverly Country Club in Chicago. He saw a scorer doing sloppy work and frequently having to cross out earlier errors. He felt he could do better and applied for the job at the Western Open. Tournament officials agreed and hired him.

One of four or five scorers in the country, he worked as many as three dozen professional and private tournaments a year. These have included Masters tournaments, U.S. Opens, Ryder Cups and 50 Western Opens. Among the private ones was the King of Morocco Tournament in North Africa.

Mr. Kimmel excelled also with the violin and at billiards. His musical talent took him onto the Ted Mack Original Amateur Hour and the Bing Crosby Show. He won the Chicago billiard championship and played against world champion Willie Masconi in exhibitions.

Survivors, besides his daughter, include his wife of 65 years, Constance; three other daughters, Shirley Shabazian, Barbara Demma and Pamela Becker; a son, Allen; 19 grandchildren; 19 great-grandchildren; and a brother.

Services will be private.

Source

My grandmother is Marilyn. Charlie is my great-grandpa. Sadly we don't own any of the cues he engraved for Rambow, but we have quite a few artifacts of his. He was an amazing man. And and unbelievable caligrapher. Kudos to my great-grandpa!

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's a thrill to "meet" you, please tell us more...

I'm a big fan of calligraphy myself, but i write the old style 'black text'..

Would you be willing to share some photos of your heirlooms? I'd love to feature them in our museum, with full credit to you of course...

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Back on the first page - Post #7 has been updated to include 2 new pieces of information, that can help to verify when Herman left Brunswick and started his own company. Enjoy:cool:

Last edited: