How is the pool scene in Greensboro NC? Any weekly tournaments in the area?

I am seriously considering relocating to Greensboro NC in a few weeks.

I am really hoping that the area has a really good and strong pool scene.

Hoping that there are some good weekly tournaments, and many strong players there (hope to see some strong players).

I see there are a lot of pool rooms there, and hopefully some of them host some good weekly tournaments.

I understand that I should just give the pool halls a call, and ask if they hold any weekly tournaments, but whoever answers might think I am talking about weekly leagues, or they might not know if there are any tournaments or not.

I am hoping that someone here knows about the pool, and tournament scene (including maybe bar tournaments) in Greensboro.

Other then pool, I think Greensboro would be a really nice place to live.

It seems to be a really pretty area, and it has an Amtrak, so I could take the train to Charlotte from time to time, if there are ever any good annual tournaments going on there.

This thread is only for AZB members who know the tournament scene in Greensboro, and not for anyone else.

So, please do not reply if you do not have any helpful info to add.

Please no nasty replies.

This is not a troll thread.

I am seriously interested in the Greensboro pool scene, and there is a good chance that I will be making my move there (to try to find a place to live) in a few weeks, no matter what type of replies I receive.

I am not interested in the leagues, even though I may join one (if I am able to find a permanent place to live after I get there).

I am only curious about any weekly tournaments in that area.

Thanks, and please do not reply if you do not know the current tournament scene in that area.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
Are you wanting to play in these tournaments? If so, there is a traveling tour called Q -city 9 ball tour. It is a very good event. You get points for every event you play in. Herman Parker runs it. Look him up on Facebook...... He holds a tourney just about every Saturday in a different city / town. And in different states.. He holds a year end finals tourney for the top 100 players... And yes, you can get all the action your wallet can manage to pay out in and around Greensboro....Drive west of Greensboro on I-40 about 1-1/2 hours to Hickory, NC....... Instant action....

Are you wanting to play in these tournaments? If so, there is a traveling tour called Q -city 9 ball tour. It is a very good event. You get points for every event you play in. Herman Parker runs it. Look him up on Facebook...... He holds a tourney just about every Saturday in a different city / town. And in different states.. He holds a year end finals tourney for the top 100 players... And yes, you can get all the action your wallet can manage to pay out in and around Greensboro....Drive west of Greensboro on I-40 about 1-1/2 hours to Hickory, NC....... Instant action....

Thanks for the info about the Q City 9 ball tour. That sounds interesting. I do not drive (never actually learned how to drive, lol, due to the fear of it). I will be relocating to Greensboro via the Greyhound bus, and will be getting around Greensboro, and the surrounding area via their regional transit system (they have a pretty good one, that goes all over the place, including High Point, Winston Salem, Durham, and Chapel Hill). I really do hope that that Q City 9 ball tour is not the only thing that is going on in the Greensboro area (as far as tournaments), but it is really cool to hear that a 9 ball tour goes through there. Is it a handi capped amateur 9 ball tour, or is it an open tour (for pro level players and other players of all skill levels)? Would be cool to get to see some pro level players. Thanks.

Last edited:

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
Thanks for the info about the Q City 9 ball tour. That sounds interesting. I do not drive (never actually learned how to drive, lol, due to the fear of it). I will be relocating to Greensboro via the Greyhound bus, and will be getting around Greensboro, and the surrounding area via their regional transit system (they have a pretty good one, that goes all over the place, including High Point, Winston Salem, Durham, and Chapel Hill). I really do hope that that Q City 9 ball tour is not the only thing that is going on in the Greensboro area (as far as tournaments), but it is really cool to hear that a 9 ball tour goes through there. Is it a handi capped amateur 9 ball tour, or is it an open tour (for pro level players and other players of all skill levels)? Would be cool to get to see some pro level players. Thanks.

Mostly Amateurs play in it. It is handicapped. I have seen Jeffrey Ignacio (pro) in one event. When you play, you go to your rank.. If you are ranked a 6, (in Herman's tour, not APA) you have to win 6. Jeffrey had to go to 13. I think 13 is the highest.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You don't fukcing drive? Wtf?!
Whaaaaaat. Thaaaaaa. Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Isn't this Earl's home town? Would be a crime if there was not a decent pool hall with tournaments there.

Isn't this Earl's home town? Would be a crime if there was not a decent pool hall with tournaments there.

I see there is some type of round robin 9 ball weekly tournament at Gate City billiard club, where everyone plays each other 1 single game of 9 ball. I sounds interesting, but I do not like the idea on only getting to play each opponent 1 single game of 9 ball. They deduct your handi cap from 13, and that is how many games you can lose before you are eliminated. So, if I am a 9 (for example), then I can only lose up to 3 games to stay in the tournament. After the 4th loss, I would be eliminated. And then they also hold a weekly Scotch doubles 8 ball tournament.

The hourly table rates seem kind of high, but they do have a monthly deal for $60 (for unlimited play, at the times when they are less busy). That is cool.

Last edited:
You don't fukcing drive? Wtf?!
Whaaaaaat. Thaaaaaa. Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak?

Yeah, I always had a big fear about it. I remember taking the written driving test (at the DMV), and I failed it 2 times, before I barely passed it the 3rd time. Too much responsibility, with the thought of handling such a powerful killing machine. I am a little crazy, lol. Always had a lot of fear and anxiety about a lot of things.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I always had a big fear about it. I remember taking the written driving test (at the DMV), and I failed it 2 times, before I barely passed it the 3rd time. Too much responsibility, with the thought of handling such a powerful killing machine. I am a little crazy, lol. Always had a lot of fear and anxiety about a lot of things.

This would explain your non stop questions about cues. I see this often in all sorts of things with people that are constantly afraid they are making the wrong decision or some fear about what may happen and end up freezing. I am a mod on a huge tech forum and lots of people keep asking the same question over and over even when there are a lot of replies already, they go in a circle with "are you sure" "so it will work" "so I should get it" "well how about this one instead" LOL