Diamond Pooltables

CrossSideLarry

Cross Side Larry
Silver Member
Diamomd Table

I have owned two Diamond Pro Tables: The first, a seven foot w/Simonis 860and a nine foot pro w/860 simonis. Without a doubt the best table out there for the serious player. I play strictly bank pool and when on occassion I get to play someone at their room on a GC, I feel like I own it. There are no "gimmes" on a Diamond, especially down rail banks but it will for sure make you a better player regardless of your game of choice. I too want to thank the person who provided the answer to why the occassional black spot on the balls.

Cross Side Larry

"Learn from the best, and beat the rest"

Hal2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My New Diamond Pro

Hello folks,

I recently sold my 22 year old GCIII for a new Diamond Pro. Both 9 foot tables had/have Siminos 860 and a ball return. I like the ball return because I mostly play straight pool. The main reason for selling my GCIII was to eliminate the black marks found on my shafts (Balabushka and Szamboti's).
I also did not like the gold-metal corners on the GCIII, which at one time caused a rip in my pants.

With the Diamond Pro, gone all the black marks on my shafts with the Diamond Pro. And my bridge-hand and fingers are much more comfortable when playing on top of the pocket areas.
The shots against the long rails follow the cushions of the long rails much better than the GCIII. The Diamond cushions bank a little shorter and faster. It took me only a day to figure this out and then compensate for the change in angles. The top rails are Dymondwood rails (extra $400) are worth ever penny. Even these top rails are angled different than the GCIII. There is a slight downward angle, outward from the table which I find much easier to shoot.

Now my dislikes with the Diamond. The ball return system. At this point, the ball return in not working as intended. The balls get hung up in two of the running-rails. And sometimes a ball shot in one of the corner pockets will climb over the inside ball runner and land on top of the runner, hitting the wooden sides. I know it as son as this happens because of the loud and different sound. Then the ball will lay there on top of the steel running-rail.

Also, sometimes a ball will actual fall out of the ball box and land on the floor. This is when the ball is not hit hard and the box only has 7-8 balls in it.
Also, at times the ball will spin out of one of the side pockets. I believe this is an easy fix, since I can see that the leather is not fitting as the other five pockets. The ball return is much louder than any GC111 or GC4.

So now you have my opinion. I love the way the Diamond 'plays' compared to the Gold Crown III. However, I hate the ball return system on my new Diamond. The boys from Diamond have been here twice and their third visit is expected later this week. I was told they are working on a new design for their ball return system.

Stay tuned...
Regards,
Hal

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cueandcushion said:
I think several years ago Diamond surpassed Brunswick Gold Crowns for serious players. Brunswick even tried to make a Diamond copy a few years back that just screamed copycat. Diamond tables are tougher to play on, making you a better player. They stay level longer than the new GC4 tables. We do service calls a lot on the new GC4 because of this new micro-adjustment leveling system they have now. You can get the GC4 absolutely perfect, but they get out of adjustment very quickly resulting in more service calls to your table. The pockets are cut very deep which make it difficult to get a ball out of if you are playing one pocket. That is about the only complaint I have ever heard about the new Diamonds. Also...the new Dymondwood rail material is practically fireproof (cigarrette burns) and ding proof. For the extra cash..I think about $500. It is well worth it. If Diamonds were double the price of a GC4 I would still buy a Diamond without hesitation. I really think Greg Sullivan and Diamond are years ahead in the market right now. Just my opinion for a mediocre player. :)

Craig.

"Mediocre" is probably an exaggeration of my pool ability.

I was in your place yesterday and played on the diamond against the far wall. I wish I had it in my basement.

mark tadd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PoolSleuth said:
It is rumored that nothing is better than a Diamond. I have played on one once, and saw nothing different than a Brunswick Gold Crown. But you are, or should I say I was compairing the BEST with the BEST...

as for me im of the opinion that the rumor is right. that is im talking the old diamonds. the reason is the tightness of the pockets meaning the slate is about 1/2 inch to an inch deeper in the pocket . so instead of the ball jawing up and falling it stays in the jaws and sometimes very deep. consistant rails and they seem to be a very straight and level than any brunswick ive played on. maybe due to it being a little heavier and it would be heavier if the the slate is bigger.

back in the days when they had them on the pro tour many of the pros were complaining that the pockets were to tight lol thats funny. i say the tighter the better .
by the way you could never get a brunswick tighter than a diamond (the older one i mean) and think putting a lot of shims will do it. but because of the slate not being long enough the ball gets in jaws and still drops. you would need to get longer slate and rails . my two cents
mark tadd

kennyratt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Diamond tables

I would like to thank everyone for all of their informative replies. They are greatly appreciated!!!!!! 4 days till my Diamond is delivered!! Best regards, Kennyratt

BulletZoo

The Grey Fox
Diamond Tables

Man have you played on one yet. They are GREAT Myself and my son played on them at the Alan Hopkins EXPO in PA. Man they were FANTASTIC. They even used them as the ACTION tables. Nothing bad to say about them at all.

StormHotRod300

BigSexy
Silver Member
One of the pool halls in my town has all Diamond Pro Tables and DAMN they play very nice :)

Once you know your bank angles for the table and dont hafta compensate, banking is easy, and being able to slow roll a ball without having to worry about it rolling out is nice too.

I mean the tables play perfect.

The things i didnt like about the tables were, during the summer when theres alot of humidity, controlling the CB is hard as hell, because the rails are so lively.

Also i noticed, that when breaking expecially in 9ball, that if i broke too hard, i came up dry alot. The balls would rattle in the pockets alot. Which caused me alot of problems, and made me learn how to change my break speed too.

But besides those two things, i love playing on Diamond Pro Tables. WOOT!!!

dave