how are ya'll doing in league ?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After 3 weeks off I finally got to playing again last night . Apa 9 ball I faced a 6 in a 38-46 race . I won 38-31 for a score of 15-5.

Overall I am happy with how I played last night but never satisfied lol. Shooting and cue ball control was decent but safety play was off a little. I made a couple of mistakes and my opponent capitalized on them by running both racks out. Oh yea....i had one break and run.

All in al not a bad match to start the new year.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
We backed into the playoffs, getting the Wild Card.

Better to be lucky than good, I suppose :p Three more wins and we can go to states!

(We've gone to states from the Wild Card spot before, no reason not to this time...)

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good luck dub. The only team I am on that has a halfway decent chance on advancing is my masters team.... Unbelievably . We have been in first all session long. Also unbelievable that I have a better record on ky masters team than I had on either of my 2 handicapped teams.

Well brand new session and a lot of new players on both handicapped teams. No telling how we do in the last session before cities.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member

Better to be lucky than good, I suppose :p Three more wins and we can go to states!

(We've gone to states from the Wild Card spot before, no reason not to this time...)

Best way to get in if you ask me. Sure it's lovely to win one outright but to sneak in and
take everyone by storm - that's the way to do it. A few years ago we did that same thing.
A couple of our players had never played 9 ball before so they didn't have the requisite
number of plays to join us in LTC, so we arrive with five players for our first match and no
body expected anything. So we're totally loose, playing for fun. We didn't lose a match
at LTC's and never played more than 4 in a team match, qualified for NTC , won a few
matches and finished in the cash and had a great time. You hafta figure, you're playing
with house money, you maybe probably shouldn't even be there, have a good time.
You might be surprised with the results

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Best way to get in if you ask me. Sure it's lovely to win one outright but to sneak in and
take everyone by storm - that's the way to do it. A few years ago we did that same thing.
A couple of our players had never played 9 ball before so they didn't have the requisite
number of plays to join us in LTC, so we arrive with five players for our first match and no
body expected anything. So we're totally loose, playing for fun. We didn't lose a match
at LTC's and never played more than 4 in a team match, qualified for NTC , won a few
matches and finished in the cash and had a great time. You hafta figure, you're playing
with house money, you maybe probably shouldn't even be there, have a good time.
You might be surprised with the results

Oh. it's always fun.. We were only a little bit out of third place, so its not like we were bottom feeders this session. The teams finishing in the first three are all tough, so we won't be having any break in our session playoffs, but ya never know either.

Its the Tri Cup that I'm looking forward to, playing teams that we don't play all the time.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Well we won our first match outside of our normal group of teams - about an hour away, and nice place, but they had some really good players. We just barely got 5 people there. It was close, and our SL2 girl pulled out a win over a pretty good player to edge us over the winning line. Guess this is now part of our "tri-cup". Don't know if that's just a local thing or nationwide with APA (I see someone above me posted they were in the same named thing) - but we're still winning and playing - so all good. Next regular session starts Monday, and there's going to be some major changes with a lot of the teams - including both our 8 and 9 ball teams. At least I won't have to captain both teams now, since someone agreed to take over captain duties for our 9ball team.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well we won our first match outside of our normal group of teams - about an hour away, and nice place, but they had some really good players. We just barely got 5 people there. It was close, and our SL2 girl pulled out a win over a pretty good player to edge us over the winning line. Guess this is now part of our "tri-cup". Don't know if that's just a local thing or nationwide with APA (I see someone above me posted they were in the same named thing) - but we're still winning and playing - so all good. Next regular session starts Monday, and there's going to be some major changes with a lot of the teams - including both our 8 and 9 ball teams. At least I won't have to captain both teams now, since someone agreed to take over captain duties for our 9ball team.

The way it works in our area. You have 3 sessions a year. At the end of each session the first place team in each division goes to tri cups which are held a few weeks after the end of the session.

The following week after the end of the session you have playoffs for the remaining top half of each division finishers which also and the winner of each playoff also gonna d to tri cups.

Our tri cups are broken into 3 brackets. The winners of both a and b sides of each bracket goes to cities , some call it ltc for local team championships. So you have 6 teams from each of the 3 tri cups going to cities.

We also have what we call a best of the red tournament held a fw weeks after the 3 rd tri cup is held. It consists of all the teams that played in the 3 tri cups that failed to qualify for the cities. Not sure how many brackets 3-4 are held in this tournament but like tri cups the winners of each bracket...both a and b side also go to cities.

Also one unique thing about our cities is the team that came in 2 ND in the finals gets an auto bid into next years cities...you dont have to qualify all over again the following year. There is one stipulation though. You must have 4 of your original players on next years team or you lose your eligibility for that years cities and have to qualify all over again.

A few other rules also about player eligibility for higher level tournaments but this post is long enough lol

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh yea...i found out this week that my usapl team failed to qualify for playoffs ....or the end of the year tournament due to the to am basically folding a 5 w weeks before the end of the season.

Damn shame as our tam was I. First place all session long until the last four w weeks.

Went from 4 players showing up and forfeiting one match to 3 players and forfeiting 2 matches down to just 2 of us the last week of the session and forfeiting 3 matches. We start back up in 2 weeks and I and another guy agree to stay with me taking over as captain and we have 4 new guys joining and I dont know any of them. Gonna be interesting lol

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ended up first in last session of BCA..
Cant play this session.. distance is a killer and I have a lot going on
to commit to a long session. Didnt want to leave anyone disappointed if I could only play a few times.

SO me and a friend figured we would start up an APA team on another night.
We put together a fairly solid team on paper.
7-6-5-5-4-3-3-2 2 is newer and has no real chance of winning that much right now but will get better.

I haven't played APA in years but have won my fair share and have been to nationals.
should be interesting but I really like the people on the team and goal is to have fun and stay playing.

start this thursday

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
Had a guy quit on me last night. He asked me at the beginning of match 4 if he was going to play the last match and I told him yes I thought so. However, the fourth match didnt go our way at all (our guy got skunked) so I decided to throw up our strongest 8 ball player, against a guy he has a great record against and had just dominated in 9 ball 18-2, to try and salvage a win. My quitter now claims I have no integrity and am not a man of my word. I feel like I was just trying to do what was best for the team. Screw being a captain, Im done after this session. I think Im just going to play tournaments from now on.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

And then we fell into the Wild card for our 9-ball division, as well. :p

And as crazy as that is, getting the Wild Card in both divisions in the same session...the last time one of my teams got a wild card (probably 2-3 years ago) the same thing happened, we got them for both in the same session, as well. Weird...

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had a guy quit on me last night. He asked me at the beginning of match 4 if he was going to play the last match and I told him yes I thought so. However, the fourth match didnt go our way at all (our guy got skunked) so I decided to throw up our strongest 8 ball player, against a guy he has a great record against and had just dominated in 9 ball 18-2, to try and salvage a win. My quitter now claims I have no integrity and am not a man of my word. I feel like I was just trying to do what was best for the team. Screw being a captain, Im done after this session. I think Im just going to play tournaments from now on.

After 7 years of captioning as high as 4 teams a week at the same time I probably could write a book about the headaches of running a team.

When I am asked the same question you were I reply...lets wait and see how this match goes and also will reply if its the other teams turn to throw the next match I will say....depends on who they throw.

I am going to assume several things based on your post.

1. You are playing double jeapordy based on your comment a particular player you threw 8 ball had his win a 9 ball match. I prefer double jeapordy because it allows you to play every one on the team at least once that night. It seems like you are the type to try and get every point you can every night at the cost of sitting some one out all night.... Nothing wrong with that if every one on the team puts the team first which your disgruntled player is apparently not.

I use the same strategy during the last session of the year if we have not qualified yet. If we have qualified I would probably play a player who has not played yet that night regardless if we were losing .

And yea I have been in the same spot you are. I had a player quit right before tri cups once because I sat him out the Las week of the session. He complained that i sat him out more than any one. I looked up the stats and it was exactly the opposite. He had more matches that session than anyone on the team including me.

As for your comment about quitting...do what I did. I turned the job of captain over to another guy and I stayed on the team. I enjoy it a lot better and also play a lot better by having to not deal would th the headaches being on my mind while playing.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That response in my previous post to you was long enough . My last sentence stated how the headaches of being captain affects my game..

In an earlier post above I posted about my 9 ball match last Thursday. That team is the one I quit being captain for n but still play on it. We only had 4 players that night which bugs the hell out of me . Not now since I am not captain and I played a darn good game beating a 6 by 38-31.

I am still captain of my Sunday team and last night was our first match of the new session. There were only 3 of us there and there as supposed to be a 4 player coming late from national guard duty. like I said ...not having a full team there bugs the crap outa me and affected my game. I lost 8 ball 3-2 to a 4. I lost 9 ball 38-36 to another 5. Sounds like a close game don't it ? Well it did turn out that way but I was down 28-12 before I got my head straight and put the thoughts about being shorthanded out if my head . The 4 th player also should up during my 9 ball match which helped take some stress off me and I was able to make a close game of it.

If this sunday team turns out to not be a competitive team at the end of this session I just may quit captaining it also. Be a shame to do that as I have been a captain of it for 7 years. All the others were less than 3 years before giving them up.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I got nicely booted off my APA 9-ball team. It's a good thing I love my team captain like a sister :)

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
First - thanks to lorider for the info.
Our first 8ball this session - team tied 7-7 against one of the better teams. I didn't play myself. Picked up 2 new guys, but 1 has been playing APA a long time. And good news is he got lowered to a 4, but I doubt it will last. The other new guy is a bar banger - but he's got a good eye. Nerves beat him more than his opponent though. At least we'll have a full roster this session. If I can get my 2 bangers to not shoot so hard they should improve a lot. But I've got 2 guys that will probably move back up to a 5 pretty quick. All in all more good than bad though.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
“Uh, brother dearie, your handicap is putting us over the limit sorry but I’ve got to replace you”. “Drinks later?”

lol - fair enough. Our 9ball team just picked up a SL7 ... we'll see how that goes. At least I don't have to captain it.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That really stinks pal... He should have been a little more understanding about situations that arise. My team, we usually go in with a plan on who we are playing. But occasionally things arise that make us change out line up. I am really glad most of my team has been in the league long enough to understand that.

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
After 7 years of captioning as high as 4 teams a week at the same time I probably could write a book about the headaches of running a team.

When I am asked the same question you were I reply...lets wait and see how this match goes and also will reply if its the other teams turn to throw the next match I will say....depends on who they throw.

I am going to assume several things based on your post.

1. You are playing double jeapordy based on your comment a particular player you threw 8 ball had his win a 9 ball match. I prefer double jeapordy because it allows you to play every one on the team at least once that night. It seems like you are the type to try and get every point you can every night at the cost of sitting some one out all night.... Nothing wrong with that if every one on the team puts the team first which your disgruntled player is apparently not.

I use the same strategy during the last session of the year if we have not qualified yet. If we have qualified I would probably play a player who has not played yet that night regardless if we were losing .

And yea I have been in the same spot you are. I had a player quit right before tri cups once because I sat him out the Las week of the session. He complained that i sat him out more than any one. I looked up the stats and it was exactly the opposite. He had more matches that session than anyone on the team including me.

As for your comment about quitting...do what I did. I turned the job of captain over to another guy and I stayed on the team. I enjoy it a lot better and also play a lot better by having to not deal would th the headaches being on my mind while playing.

Yeah, I have handed the reigns over to my brother in law. I am going to stay on the team as I really do love the competition but I hate trying to balance other peoples emotions and egos. We also have 8 guys on the team so its impossible for everyone to play both every week but I always make sure everyone plays at least one match while they are there. The thing that bothered me the most is that the guy was questioning my human integrity based on the decision I made in a meaningless first week of session 8 ball match. I havent lost any sleep, just the desire to be in charge.