How do you aim these type of banks?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Here's a simple way to measure the "equal angle" (which you'll have to adjust for the effects of cloth friction):

In your diagram the OB looks like it will have to hit somewhere around 1 diamond past the side pocket. Estimate where 2 diamonds (2 x 1 diamond) past the opposite corner pocket would be (out in space past the end of the table - use your cue as a measuring stick) and sight from that to the diamond by the side pocket - this is an "equal angle track" to your target corner pocket. The OB probably won't lie exactly on that track, but will be close enough to estimate its own track on a (nearly) parallel line.

pj
chgo

P.S. This is just another version of the "mirror" system or some "spot on the wall" systems, and they all must be adjusted for the effect of cloth friction. For OBs close to the rail the adjustment is usually to aim a little long (because rail friction will shorten the angle). For OBs farther from the rail that aren't hit very hard, the adjustment is usually to aim a little short (because forward roll will widen the angle). Both of these adjustments are smaller for steeper angles and larger for wider angles.

Last edited:

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
That shot is very sensitive to speed and english. If you need to move the cueball at all, I think the shot is more of a feel shot than a system shot unless you spend a lot of time working on it with Freddie's materials,etc...

Vinnie

pool is cool.
Silver Member
There are many variables how a ball will come off a cushion such as speed english etc. One of the ways is the pocket your going to bank into would be numbered 0 coming up from a corner pocket count the diamonds away from the pocket 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 each pocket is an imaginary diamond. You then see what track your object ball is near. A track would be if you come up 1 diamond divide it in half so 1 would go to 1/2 diamond on other side 2 diamonds up divided in half would go to 1 diamond on other side 3 would go to 1 1/2 etc. If you extended your stick across the table going from these spots you have a track. You then have to see what track your object ball is close to being on and you would then shoot the object ball into that point on the rail. This gives you an idea where to hit the cushion to make the bank. Remember the pocket your banking into is 0 so if your going into the side pocket it is 0 and going to the right of it will be 1 2 3 4 diamonds and to the left of it would be 1 2 3 4 you then do the same thing as explained above by dividing in half going to the other side of the table to find the track. If object ball is a little to left or right of track adjust aim according to the distance it is to the right or left of track. Good Luck
Ron

This is the system I like to use and that I consider the "normal" system. My question is, how do you aim once you get past the number 8?

Vinnie

pool is cool.
Silver Member
See my post just above (#21).

pj
chgo

<light bulb turning on> OK, now I get it. Instead of using the diamonds on the short rail, just imagine the diamonds keep going on the long rail. Thanks everyone for your input! I will practice all of the methods in this thread.

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Extended, imaginary table

This is the system I like to use and that I consider the "normal" system. My question is, how do you aim once you get past the number 8?

That is dealth with in an exact fashion in my extended table, imaginary diamond system covered in my book and more extensively in my DVD. I've sold thousands of them, hasnt anybody on this forum seen my DVD Banking With the Beard -- the Movie yet?

the Beard

eezbank

Silver Surfer
Silver Member
That is dealth with in an exact fashion in my extended table, imaginary diamond system covered in my book and more extensively in my DVD. I've sold thousands of them, hasnt anybody on this forum seen my DVD Banking With the Beard -- the Movie yet?

the Beard

I have the set. Made the cross side "twicet" shot in a match last week. The Dvds are the best on banking I've seen. Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
... Instead of using the diamonds on the short rail, just imagine the diamonds keep going on the long rail.

Yes, but it's also pretty easy to use the diamonds on the short rail. All you have to do is remember the three points on the short rail that correspond to the three nearest diamonds on the long rail, like this:

CueTable Help

The numbers are the number of diamonds from the corner pocket. The three equal-angle "tracks" (the red lines) are visualized from gutter to gutter, not from diamond to diamond. They make useful references that you can use to estimate tracks that fall between them. Your 1 ball estimate looks pretty good, but might go a little short unless you hit it at pocket speed (so the OB can pick up a little forward roll before hitting the rail to compensate for the rail friction that might otherwise make it bank short).

pj
chgo

Last edited:

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
You need the new one

I have the set. Made the cross side "twicet" shot in a match last week. The Dvds are the best on banking I've seen. Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

Thanks Eez...dont forget to check out my new one, Banking With The Beard -- the Movie, I have 3 different short rail reference points than Pat Johnson has.

the Beard

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Thanks Eez...dont forget to check out my new one, Banking With The Beard -- the Movie, I have 3 different short rail reference points than Pat Johnson has.

the Beard

I'll bet your points are "smarter" than mine are. Mine show the "equal angle" tracks, but those don't work without some kind of adjustment. I'm guessing yours have the most frequent adjustments built in?

By the way, Freddie, I saw you picking up some lunch at Gio's the other day. You have good taste in restaurants.

pj
chgo

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Graph paper

I'll bet your points are "smarter" than mine are. Mine show the "equal angle" tracks, but those don't work without some kind of adjustment. I'm guessing yours have the most frequent adjustments built in?

By the way, Freddie, I saw you picking up some lunch at Gio's the other day. You have good taste in restaurants.

pj
chgo

I use graph paper to make the calculations and I factor in the contact point on the rail as 1 1/8 in. (1/2 of ball size of 2 1/4 in) off the contact diamond. In other words, imagining an object ball lying on the cushion in front of the contact diamond.
I live 3 blocks away from Gio's.

the Beard

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
La Barba:
I factor in the contact point on the rail as 1 1/8 in. (1/2 of ball size of 2 1/4 in) off the contact diamond

Hmmm...

I did that too, but you've made me realize I described it slightly incorrectly. To be strictly accurate, the lines in my diagram should be drawn from the gutter on the long rail to the cushion nose on the short rail, like this:

CueTable Help

Of course, that's too much detail for approximate guides like these. It would be best to just adjust the gutter points to simpler fractional measurements like 1/2 diamond, 1 1/4 diamonds and 2 1/3 diamonds.

CueTable Help

pj
chgo

Last edited:

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Almost the same

Looking at your diagrams again I just realized that you mark and measure your short rail positions starting from the contact rail and going up. I measure from the extended rail and go up, the opposite way. So your 2.4 position is the same as my 1.6 position depending on where you begin the measurements. We differ, but only by a 10th of a diamond on the next two positions. You say 1.3 d. and I say 2.6d, and finally you say .6d and I say 3.3d, a difference of 1/10th of a diamond on those two. Close enough to work.

the Beard

"If you think you're cool, you need an Old School Pool --- shirt." Only the Beard can provide them. Makes the girls look sexy too, check it out on this pic....

Attachments

• 154001.jpg
    154001.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 109

golf

Legs

I don't ususally say much on this forum--I mostly just read (it's entertaining). BUT.......WOW!!!! What legs. Who is she?