Please take a quick look at my break and run video

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't recorded a break and run video in a while (about 8 months). Today I thought I'd began recording them again. However, I plan on editing out the dead time between shots from now on.

Please take a look at my latest video and tell me what you think about the edits (you can also critique my pool technique or lack there of if you'd like).

My goal was to shorten the video while making it obvious that I didn't doctor the video in order to facilitate a break and run.

https://youtu.be/VHlhK2X68AA

Thank anyone who watches for their time.

Shane33

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it looks fine . You look like your not a slow shooter . You probably dont even need to edit it anyway.

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it looks fine . You look like your not a slow shooter . You probably dont even need to edit it anyway.
Thanks for the review. I don't consider myself to be a slow shooter, but I just wanted to give the video editing a shot. I got the idea from watching Efren and Earl's last big match against each other on YouTube. All in all, I probably shortened the original video by about a minute.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
it wasnt pretty in the beginning, but a good run out with that ball hooked behind a solid. for a thin guy you shoot pretty high up, I dont see that too often. the edit was fine. Nice 8 footer, but you need to shimmy those pockets. I like beige cloth, it seems "clean".

Darkridder

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like unedited videos myself.. But that's just me.

The last shot on the ten.. Why did you put so much on it? Couldn't you of just used the natural angles of the shot to get shape on the eight ball?

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like unedited videos myself.. But that's just me.

The last shot on the ten.. Why did you put so much on it? Couldn't you of just used the natural angles of the shot to get shape on the eight ball?
Thank you for watching. I figure that editing out the time between shots will significantly shorten the total length of a playlist if I decide to make one. If I make a playlist of my next 50 break and run videos, I will probably shorten the entire playlist by close to an hour.

I shot the 10 ball the way I did because I didn't want to the cue ball to hit to the left of the diamond at the top of the rail and possibly get stuck behind the 1 ball. I also didn't want to end up not able to shoot the 8 ball because of the 5 ball. It was a calculated risk because I could have also ended up being blocked by the 3 ball the way I chose to shoot it. Not saying that your suggestion wouldn't have worked as well. Sometimes you just have to go for it and hope for the best. In this case, I ended up in a position where I was able to make the 8 ball in the side.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've watched a lot of your videos and I prefer the unedited. It would probably be different if you were one of them that spend 3 minutes studying a shot but either way nice shooting man.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice shooting, your style is a lot like mine, so it's fun to watch :)
What table is that, pockets look pretty forgiving on that one. It would probably be a great table to play on for a novice like me :D

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've watched a lot of your videos and I prefer the unedited. It would probably be different if you were one of them that spend 3 minutes studying a shot but either way nice shooting man.
Thank you for watching this video and my other videos. I'm debating if I'm going to continue to record break and run videos. If so, I'll probably edit the next series of videos just for the heck of it. I'm glad to know that you enjoyed my previous videos.

Nice shooting, your style is a lot like mine, so it's fun to watch :)
What table is that, pockets look pretty forgiving on that one. It would probably be a great table to play on for a novice like me :D
The pockets could stand to be a little tighter. I could probably tighten the pockets about a quarter of an inch by adjusting the rails. I may get around to adjusting the rails one day, but then again I just may wait until I have the table refelted. The table is a Legacy Billiards table. It's a great table for the serious pool enthusiast on somewhat of a budget and still wanting a new table. I don't have any major complaints other than I had to replace the nap cloth that originally came on the table with worsted cloth because nap cloth just sucks.

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice shooting in the video!
Thank you for taking the time to watch.

I liked it!:) You could tighten the pockets, but if you are playing for fun, I would not recommend it. I'm playing on very tight pockets at the moment and I don't like it, it changes the game too much, especially straight pool.

How many racks in a row have you run on camera?
I'm happy with the pockets for right now. They aren't what I'd consider "buckets", but I will admit that that could stand to be a little tighter. I probably won't worry about adjusting the pocket size until I get the table re-felted.

On camera, I've probably only ran 2 consecutive racks. Off camera, I've ran 4 consecutive racks.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion it is more fun to play on a table with largish pockets than on a table that seems to reject everything given to it. I own a seven footer with ridicilously tight pockets. Will probably widen them up a bit when changing the cloth on it. Is it possible to cut them a bit wider? I have never seen a pool table unfelted, so i have got no idea what I'll be up against when the old felt has come off. Every bit of advice is welcome.
Luckily I know a few folks that can put on the new felt, Simonis 860 most likely, so I dont have to worry about that part :D

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kimmo H., one thing that can be done without actually altering the cut of the pockets is adjusting the rails outward slightly. You can loosen the rail bolts on your table, move the rails a quarter to half an inch inward or outward, and retighten the rail bolts. This will cause the pockets to be tighter or looser by up to a quarter to half an inch. It's usually pretty simple to adjust the rails with just the right size socket wrench.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Good shootin', but I question some of your choices.

The 10 ball is your trouble ball and you need to break it out off the 15. I'd want to do that as soon as possible so there are as many "outlet" shots as possible after the breakout. For instance, you could have played shape for that on the first shot after the break...

pj
chgo

View attachment 78968

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
I liked it!:) You could tighten the pockets, but if you are playing for fun, I would not recommend it. I'm playing on very tight pockets at the moment and I don't like it, it changes the game too much, especially straight pool.

How many racks in a row have you run on camera?

I don't like them either, though I play on them often. At home I have 4 1/2" pockets which I believe is perfect for amateur and pro level. Anything tighter makes the game a little boring, especially to watch.

And for the OP,
Whatever you do, do not shimmy the pockets. If you wanted tighter pockets you need to buy longer rails and do it the right way.

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good shootin', but I question some of your choices.

The 10 ball is your trouble ball and you need to break it out off the 15. I'd want to do that as soon as possible so there are as many "outlet" shots as possible after the breakout. For instance, you could have played shape for that on the first shot after the break...

pj
chgo

View attachment 78968
I completely understand your though process, but what I think you aren't taking into consideration in the first diagram is table speed. I actually tried to do something very similar to what you drew out, but there was no way that I could get to where your cue ball comes to rest without the cue ball hitting 2 rails. If I would have hit it so soft that the cue ball would have stopped where it did in your diagram, the 13 ball might not have made it into the pocket (it would have had to been a really light hit). My only option was to go two rails and come back out to that spot. I almost hit it perfect speed, but you will notice that I barely caught the 11 coming off the other rail. At that point I had to adjust my plan.

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...then again on the next shot (after the combo)...

pj
chgo

View attachment 79073
After the combo, I'm not 100% sure that I could see the 15 clearly. However, once again I tried to accomplish something similar to what you drew out in your diagram. I knew that the 11 barely went pass the 9 and I thought that I could slice the 11 in and catch the inside of the 15 in order to bump the 10 out. However, I hit the 11 a little to thick. I still almost bumped the 10 ball out a little with that shot though although the cue came from the top rail to bump the 10.