Which is a better spot

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
You aren't the only one in this thread that's sleeping what the ball spot is in the OP.
.....it's the CALL 8
Big difference from the WILD 8

No, the call 8, on the bar tables I play on, will go cross side once you dial in the speed of the break. I'm not saying I'm going to make it more than 2 times, but the last few times I got the call 8 I snapped it in more than once.

Again, it just depends on skill levels, but I'd rather have the extra ball personally.

Last edited:

Justin Bergman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Biggest spot I ever gave up was 100 to 4 and my opponents fouls didn't count. I won 100 to 0 lol. It was at Ride the Rail & the player I was playing slammed balls as hard as he could but sometimes he would miss the whole cue ball or barely hit. We re-racked every game so after 15 balls it was a new game. I thought I might lose after he started slamming balls 1,000 mph.

Justin Bergman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also gave a guy in Chicago when I was 15-16, he could shoot any ball in any order anytime and he got the last 4 I think or maybe 5... It was at the end of the year Viking tournament like $25,000 added at John Abruzzo's pool room. I ended up winning a few thousand then went to a 24 hour pool room and ended up breaking even.

owll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in order....(my opinion)

one game on the wire to 9.
call 8.
two games on the wire to 9.
wild 8.
call 7.
two games on the wire to 7.
wild 7,

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Question, if you're getting the call 8 and you call it on the break as some have suggested and it doesn't go but something else does, do you get to shoot again, or do you lose your turn since you missed the called shot?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You shoot again.
If the 8 goes in the wrong pocket, you keep shooting but you lost your other money ball.

The call 8 is a sucker bet for two players who are not much apart in skills.
After all, the better player would be dumb to give the wild 8 unless he is a ball better than the other guy.
This call 8 gets testy sometimes too as the rules get argued over . Like what if the better player shot the 8 in a combo or carom but scratched ? Does the 8 ball go back in ? What if the better shooter shoots the 8 in a push-out ?
THE CALL 8 is a sucker bet. DON't TAKE THAT SPOT if you are the weaker player . Take it if you are the same level as the other guy and he's overrating himself .
But, if he's a ball better, you're the sucker .
2 games on the wire to 9 is the better spot for the slightly weaker player . Assuming they are both above C player handicap ( can run 5 balls consistently ).
9 ball involves a lot of luck factor .
2 gams on the wire to 9 is pretty heavy unless the spotter is much better .