Really nice looking cue, that is known to be a really cheap brand.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Similar experience.

Thought I was going to be cool and go to Joe Gold's shop and get a new Cog.

Plopped down the money for a gorgeous cue, got it back here and hit a few balls with it, worst playing stick I've ever owned.

Took an $800 loss on it from Chicago to Indy.

Looked great, played awful.

I had a similar experience with a southwest cue, it hit like a 2x4. Sold it and and got a JW.
WOW, nice hitting cue. But everyone likes something different.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With many many years of experience with cues in EVERY price range from $20 to over $2,000 I can say that in all honesty I have at times literally payed $20 for a cue that matched, for me, the performance of some of my $2,000 cues. I still have a $30 Imperial cue from 1997 that I picked out of a lot of about 200 of them - the shaft is amazing and the balance is amazing, it is a decal/painted cue- but out of a 200 cue lot- this was a gem as far as playability- you just never know with cues- you only know once you play with it.

I know that wood acoustic guitars are in the same category. I own an old wood guitar from the early 1970s that cost about $60 and really good guitar players who try it tell me that it plays fantastic - so wood can take on all kinds of characteristics when assembled with other products for various functions.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not know.

I always wondered why Schon did their points Rounded off, but did many of their inlays really sharp. I am thinking, if they are able to do nice sharp inlays, then why not also make their points, and veneers sharp?

Because Schon’s ‘points’ are more like inlays. The round of the point is due to the end mill used to cut the pocket. That round end mill is what will ‘overcut’ the inlays pocket at the sharp corners of the inlay. In terms of your second cue, get a brighter flashlight and shine the light right on the inlays. They used black epoxy on a black material to hide the methods used to allow that sharp corner inlay to fit. The first cue doesn’t have any evidence of glue lines to allow a sharp point inlay, for its comparative price. For perspective, that first cue, if all those decals were actually inlays. The cue would be worth an easy 10x what it’s worth now.