APA 9 Ball Scoring Question.

UGC

Registered
Two balls left on the table. The 8 and 9. I make a combo by shooting the 8 ball into the 9. The 9 ball falls in the pocket, then the 8 ball follows the 9 into the same pocket. With the game being over once the 9 ball drops, is the 8 ball counted as a point or a dead ball?

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You count both balls. If you break and make the 9 along with other balls, they count as points as well.

UGC

Registered
Thanks for the reply. New to APA and wasn't sure exactly how this "points" system works.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
With the game being over once the 9 ball drops...

The game isn't over once the nine drops, all balls need to stop rolling or spinning. Example: Cue ball drops after the nine.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Two balls left on the table. The 8 and 9. I make a combo by shooting the 8 ball into the 9. The 9 ball falls in the pocket, then the 8 ball follows the 9 into the same pocket. With the game being over once the 9 ball drops, is the 8 ball counted as a point or a dead ball?

Are you misusing the word "game" for "match"???

If your scenario happens in the middle of a "match" (or...during a "game" but not at the end of a match), then that shot counts as 3 points as long as there is no foul involved.

If your scenario happens at the end of a "match" and the shooter needs only 2 points to win the match, then the 8-ball is counted as a dead ball, as long as there is no foul involved. If the shooter only needed 1 point to win the match, then the shooter would get credit for 1 point, with half of the 2-point-valued 9-ball and the 8-ball being counted as dead balls.

I hope this helps.

The anti-APA people ought to be along any minute now. :(

Maniac

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
The game isn't over once the nine drops, all balls need to stop rolling or spinning. Example: Cue ball drops after the nine.

Totally unnecessary post.

I can only believe that the OP is quite knowledgeable about that fact.

He may be new to APA scoring, but I would bet that he's not new to the game of pool, what with a 2013 join date.

Maniac (the APA haters may have already arrived)

UGC

Registered

He may be new to APA scoring, but I would bet that he's not new to the game of pool, what with a 2013 join date.

I'm not new to pool. I'm new to the way the APA scores 9 ball.

UGC

Registered
Are you misusing the word "game" for "match"???

If your scenario happens in the middle of a "match" (or...during a "game" but not at the end of a match), then that shot counts as 3 points as long as there is no foul involved.

If your scenario happens at the end of a "match" and the shooter needs only 2 points to win the match, then the 8-ball is counted as a dead ball, as long as there is no foul involved. If the shooter only needed 1 point to win the match, then the shooter would get credit for 1 point, with half of the 2-point-valued 9-ball and the 8-ball being counted as dead balls.

I hope this helps.

The anti-APA people ought to be along any minute now. :(

Maniac

VERY helpful post. Thank you for this comment.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member

My post wasn't directed at the OP. The name was deliberately omitted from the quote.

Not unheard of for someone to repeat misinformation they read on the Internet as truth.

Last edited: