Tournament

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hope this makes sense.One of the guys that comes to AZ for the winter always mentions
a tournament that he goes to in the summer. He's from the Duluth, MN area. Think this years winner might have been Corey Deuel. I can't remember seeing anything about a tournament in that area, I'm also not aware of any stream for such an event. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hope this makes sense.One of the guys that comes to AZ for the winter always mentions
a tournament that he goes to in the summer. He's from the Duluth, MN area. Think this years winner might have been Corey Deuel. I can't remember seeing anything about a tournament in that area, I'm also not aware of any stream for such an event. Does this ring a bell with anyone?
Four Bears maybe? That's in N.Dak in April. Corey has won it before. http://4bearsclassic.com/index.html

Billiardsfan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a question about the billiards scene in AZ since you are from there. My brother in law moved down there and was trying to get into some of the tournaments and leagues but told me that in order to do that EVERYONE needs to be assigned a rating from some type of handicap board or group or some damn thing like that. Is that the case there? If so, what is up with that?

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There has been a $1000-entry 16-player 8-ball tournament in Duluth last two summers that Dennis Hatch has some involvement in organizing.

Corey I believe won that this past June

Jerry R

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think you are referring the The Break Room in Duluth. I believe Corey was there last year for Dennis Hatch's Tournament. He also played at CR's in Coon Rapids, MN with SVB and Bergman last summer.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a question about the billiards scene in AZ since you are from there. My brother in law moved down there and was trying to get into some of the tournaments and leagues but told me that in order to do that EVERYONE needs to be assigned a rating from some type of handicap board or group or some damn thing like that. Is that the case there? If so, what is up with that?

Hi Billiardsfan,

Arizona has a pretty decent rating system and most players are basically rated a 5, 6, 7 ,8, 9 or 10. We've used this system for better than 20 years or so.....slowly we are converting over to the Fargo system. Most big tournaments are using Fargo now, but you can get a rating in that the same way.....
Anyhoo, getting rated isn't rocket science....just go into the local place running a tournament and ask to be rated. Usually a good player will step up and play you a couple sets or at least a few games and take note of how you play. You will get a temporary rating based on this.
You will be allowed to play in tournaments and depending on how well or poorly you play, your rating can be adjusted.
Hope this clears things up.....

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Mike and Jerry, that has too be the one he talks about since it's right in Duluth.
Also thanks to tucson9ball for answering the AZ question since I only play
in our senior center.

Last edited: