So tell me...

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you look at how often the 9 ball went in on those old matches, that is really all you need to know about rack skills and checking. People used to think making the 9 on the break was a "good shot" but for at least a decade we know better. Some matches the 9 shot in the corner several times a set, or would sit there for an early combo.

Can you explain what happened? Are you saying equipment changed, or rules or strategy changed?

I played from the mid 70's through late 80's, never got very good. Early 90's started family, hung stick up until recently.
What i remember is that back then, better local money players were making 9 on the break 3 times out of 10, sometimes saw it happen 3 racks in a row. (on bar boxes) Now no one makes it on the break, or at least it does not seem to be an expected part of the game?

smt

Last edited:

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in the day, when Buddy and Siegel and Efren and Johnny and Earl and Nick, etc. were the 9 Ball kings. Was there all this pissing and moaning about the rack?
Mentioning Earl in that line up and then asking if there was pissing and moaning...

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you explain what happened? Are you saying equipment changed, or rules or strategy changed?

I played from the mid 70's through late 80's, never got very good. Early 90's started family, hung stick up until recently.
What i remember is that back then, better local money players were making 9 on the break 3 times out of 10, sometimes saw it happen 3 racks in a row. (on bar boxes) Now no one makes it on the break, or at least it does not seem to be an expected part of the game?

smt

People just started paying attention to the rack more. If you take a lesson from just abut any good player, they can explain the racking to you. Look up Joe Tuckers racking secrets. Basically, a gap between the 9 and either of the balls behind it would send the 9 towards that corner. Anytime the 9 shoots out from the rack and goes towards the corner pockets, it's because of gaps in the rack, not any skill. If you see someone looking over the rack and adjusting the cueball position for the break, you should expect the player to be good and make a ball more often than someone that just puts the ball down and breaks from the same spot (if not using a template rack).

Last edited:

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hang-the-9 thank you for taking the time to make that explanation. As i've come back to the game, i also have come to realize that a good part of the reason i never got very good at it was because it was not obvious in the "old daze" how or where to go to study the game. Other than watching better players. But as your post more or less notes, there are important details that may not be transparent to many of us even if its in front of our noses.

smt