CTE - How it Helped a Non-Believer

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Up until yesterday, I never used a specific aiming system. Occasionally I would visualize a ghost ball for help but usually I would just judge which contact point was correct to make a shot based on past experience.

My method has worked well but I was having trouble getting down on the correct shot line the first time. I usually get down on the ball, realize my aiming point is wrong, and have to adjust so my shooting takes a little longer than most. Sometimes I stand back up and adjust, sometimes I don't. I'm envious of players that can get down and fire quickly. That's never been me.

So yesterday, I still wasn't looking for an aiming system. I was reading a Facebook thread on John Schmidt's post regarding a debate on instructor certification. Eventually, Stan Shuffett posted the following:

"Simple PRO ONE instructions:
There are only 2 Cb edges to aim with and they are always in the same place. Left CB edge for left cuts and right CB edge for right cuts. All shots are cut shots.
There are 3 spots on the OB to aim at with the CB edges. Those OB Aiming spots always face the CB. Those spots are located at the quarters and center on the OB.
Set up some easy cut shots. See the appropriate CB edge to one of the OB aim points. Only one aim point will be correct and look correct. There will be no doubtt about your aim lines. You can see only one shot line from your CB edge alignment. That is what you sweep to.
Move into that line from the outside or the inside. It is called a sweep. You already do them so do not make a big deal out of sweeping.
The above is very rudimentary PRO ONE instructions. There is more detail that will be presented but for now, you can get a taste of it.
You will notice that 3 Cb edge aim lines as described above can make all shots."

I thought it was quite ridiculous what Stan said and I even had a conversation with my friend about how stupid I thought it was. Anyways, I got home and tried it for about 10 shots in a row. Surprisingly, I didn't miss. I was quite amazed but I had to leave and meet my friend at the pool hall.

When I got to the pool hall I used it on every shot during our match. It worked incredibly well and it allowed me to visualize or find the correct aiming point from the start. This allowed me to shoot faster and adjust less while down on the shot.

I did notice some shots where it was off but I would make minor adjustments when necessary, especially when using english. The adjustments were small and easy though since the system got me very close to begin with.

Overall, I think it's a great tool. Similar to ghost ball aiming I guess but much easier for me. Obviously, there is not system that is perfect but this is a really helpful tool for getting you close.

Is this just the tip of the iceburg with CTE? I don't see how much more there can really be.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Stan Shuffet: "Simple PRO ONE instructions:
There are only 2 Cb edges to aim with and they are always in the same place. Left CB edge for left cuts and right CB edge for right cuts. All shots are cut shots.
There are 3 spots on the OB to aim at with the CB edges. Those OB Aiming spots always face the CB. Those spots are located at the quarters and center on the OB.
Set up some easy cut shots. See the appropriate CB edge to one of the OB aim points. Only one aim point will be correct and look correct. There will be no doubtt about your aim lines. You can see only one shot line from your CB edge alignment.
That is what you sweep to.
Move into that line from the outside or the inside. It is called a sweep. You already do them so do not make a big deal out of sweeping.
The above is very rudimentary PRO ONE instructions. There is more detail that will be presented but for now, you can get a taste of it.
You will notice that 3 Cb edge aim lines as described above can make all shots."

Is this just the tip of the iceburg with CTE? I don't see how much more there can really be.
What Stan describes above (in blue) is simple fractional aiming. The "sweep" he says is needed for CTE is basically the way he "adjusts" from fractional reference alignments to the actual shot alignments - which you're already doing. (Note: CTE users will deny this loudly.)

My advice: if fractional aiming is working for you, don't complicate it with CTE's additional "dance steps" - they only get you to the same place anyway.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Up until yesterday, I never used a specific aiming system. Occasionally I would visualize a ghost ball for help but usually I would just judge which contact point was correct to make a shot based on past experience.

My method has worked well but I was having trouble getting down on the correct shot line the first time. I usually get down on the ball, realize my aiming point is wrong, and have to adjust so my shooting takes a little longer than most. Sometimes I stand back up and adjust, sometimes I don't. I'm envious of players that can get down and fire quickly. That's never been me.

So yesterday, I still wasn't looking for an aiming system. I was reading a Facebook thread on John Schmidt's post regarding a debate on instructor certification. Eventually, Stan Shuffett posted the following:

"Simple PRO ONE instructions:
Set up some easy cut shots. See the appropriate CB edge to one of the OB aim points. Only one aim point will be correct and look correct. There will be no doubtt about your aim lines. You can see only one shot line from your CB edge alignment. That is what you sweep to.

I thought it was quite ridiculous what Stan said and I even had a conversation with my friend about how stupid I thought it was. Anyways, I got home and tried it for about 10 shots in a row. Surprisingly, I didn't miss. I was quite amazed but I had to leave and meet my friend at the pool hall.

When I got to the pool hall I used it on every shot during our match. It worked incredibly well and it allowed me to visualize or find the correct aiming point from the start. This allowed me to shoot faster and adjust less while down on the shot.

I did notice some shots where it was off but I would make minor adjustments when necessary, especially when using english. The adjustments were small and easy though since the system got me very close to begin with.

Overall, I think it's a great tool. Similar to ghost ball aiming I guess but much easier for me. Obviously, there is not system that is perfect but this is a really helpful tool for getting you close.

It's the tip of the iceberg. But the journey is a great one.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What Stan describes above (in blue) is simple fractional aiming. The "sweep" he says is needed for CTE is basically the way he "adjusts" from fractional reference alignments to the actual shot alignments - which you're already doing. (Note: CTE users will deny this loudly.)

My advice: if fractional aiming is working for you, don't complicate it with CTE's additional "dance steps" - they only get you to the same place anyway.

pj
chgo

Give it up Patrick. CTE is not fractional aiming. You've been wrong for over 20 years.
Everything boils down to an "adjustment" for you, but you've never once explained an adjustment

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you can describe what it is I might believe you know what it isn't.

pj <- not sorry
chgo

I've described it, as have many others. You just don't get it. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you don't become obsessed with it. Wait, 20 years probably counts as an obsession.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
CTE is not fractional aiming. Yes what you have learned is the tip of the iceberg so to speak. Anything you do to aim that is more towards the objective end of the aiming/alignment spectrum will generally help you to be more consistent.

Towards the subjective end is the Professor Johnson's Fidget Method. The fidget method consists of getting down on the shot and fidgeting around until you feel right. Having watched Professor Johnson demonstrate this method I have to say that he does ok with it. I would estimate that Professor Johnson is a 600 level player so it's possible to reach an average level without a clearly objective way to aim. And perhaps a combination of some sort of objective method and the fidget method could work well also.

CTE mastered is a powerful way to aim and it works wonderfully for just about all bank shots.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Having watched Professor Johnson demonstrate this method I have to say that he does ok with it.
lol

Good enough to beat you that day - guess it still bothers you after 20+ years...

But you did OK too, so props to your fantasy system.

pj
chgo

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CTE is not fractional aiming. Yes what you have learned is the tip of the iceberg so to speak. Anything you do to aim that is more towards the objective end of the aiming/alignment spectrum will generally help you to be more consistent.

Towards the subjective end is the Professor Johnson's Fidget Method. The fidget method consists of getting down on the shot and fidgeting around until you feel right. Having watched Professor Johnson demonstrate this method I have to say that he does ok with it. I would estimate that Professor Johnson is a 600 level player so it's possible to reach an average level without a clearly objective way to aim. And perhaps a combination of some sort of objective method and the fidget method could work well also.

CTE mastered is a powerful way to aim and it works wonderfully for just about all bank shots.

And so we have Professor Barton's Flying Chicken Wing Method?

The Flying Chicken Wing Method consists of getting down on the shot and figuring out how to spear the CB with a Flying Chicken Wing Stroke until you think you have it right. Having watched Professor Barton demonstrate this method I have to say that he does OK with it. I would estimate Professor Barton is a 600 level player so it is possible to reach an average level with a bizzaro way to aim. And perhaps a combination of some sort of feel method and CTE could work well also.

Feel mastered is a powerful way to aim and it works for just about all bank shots.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
And so we have Professor Barton's Flying Chicken Wing Method?

The Flying Chicken Wing Method consists of getting down on the shot and figuring out how to spear the CB with a Flying Chicken Wing Stroke until you think you have it right. Having watched Professor Barton demonstrate this method I have to say that he does OK with it. I would estimate Professor Barton is a 600 level player so it is possible to reach an average level with a bizzaro way to aim. And perhaps a combination of some sort of feel method and CTE could work well also.

Feel mastered is a powerful way to aim and it works for just about all bank shots.

Lou Figueroa

That's stroke not aiming. Any aiming method can be destroyed by the inconsistent stroke. I do know a couple chickens who ran away though when asked to flip it. That chicken run method is a great way to save money.

On another note I know a guy who practices aiming by feel for HOURS a day and can't get above an average player level. I guess it's possible to get to average level through brute force like that guy.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
lol

Good enough to beat you that day - guess it still bothers you after 20+ years...

But you did OK too, so props to your fantasy system.

pj
chgo

I said that the Fidget Method is powerful. When the fidget is on then it produces a dead on aim that definitely helps the shooter be accurate.

I know one thing for sure though.....not you, not Lou, not any of you will play someone who has the fundamentals down and uses CTE to aim....for anything significant.

You'd get drilled and the only fidgeting would be in the chair.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's stroke not aiming. Any aiming method can be destroyed by the inconsistent stroke. I do know a couple chickens who ran away though when asked to flip it. That chicken run method is a great way to save money.

On another note I know a guy who practices aiming by feel for HOURS a day and can't get above an average player level. I guess it's possible to get to average level through brute force like that guy.

So how would you know?

Your stroke makes it impossible to objectively evaluate the significance of any system. Ergo your endorsement of CTE is worthless.

Lou Figueroa

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
So how would you know?

Your stroke makes it impossible to objectively evaluate the significance of any system. Ergo your endorsement of CTE is worthless.

Lou Figueroa

I can say that it has clearly helped me and that I would be much worse off without an objective way to aim.

I know the before and after results so that is the measure I use.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can say that it has clearly helped me and that I would be much worse off without an objective way to aim.

I know the before and after results so that is the measure I use.

Or, it might just be getting a little older and a little wiser... though in your case that would be a dubious conclusion, lol.

Might just be hitting a few more thousand balls, a much more logical deduction ;-)

Lou Figueroa