Table ID and refinish help

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member
I just picked up a 1931 Brunswick Harrison 9ft'er. It is all original and all parts have what looks to be factory stamps. It has Harrison stamped inside the base but all the pictures I have found show them to have a ball return like this one:

harrison_lg.jpg

The one I found that looks like this with drop pockets is a Wabash

wabash_lg.jpg

The guy I got it from says it came form a pool hall in Kansas City about 9 years ago. The base was painted because someone was too lazy or cheap to fix the veneer that was peeling and cracking.
I want to do something different with the base, other than what it is now.

Pics here:
pool2.jpg

pool3.jpg

pool1.jpg

pool4.jpg

So what would AZB do with the base? And what do you think about the Harrison issue? I didn't buy it for the antique value but rather something to bang on around the house. The model issue is just for my info.

Thanks

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member
OK, I know why they painted it. The veneer work is crazy expensive, even if all of the piece are flat.

I've decided to sand the base and skirts down and stain them a mahogany color. Has to look better than the paint...I hope

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

Send the rails out to be rebuilt, mark gregory is specialized in rebuilding T rails on antiques. Threre are safe and simple ways to ship your rails to him.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
If that were a wabash, you'd have one of the most rare post-1900 Brunswick tables ever made.

As far as I know, nobody has ever seen an intact Wabash.

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member
Does anyone know if the Harrison was made only with ball return or if they also offered drop pocket? The stamp. On the inside of the base says Harrison but Ive only seen the ball return model

9-ball B

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wabash in Dallas

If that were a wabash, you'd have one of the most rare post-1900 Brunswick tables ever made.

As far as I know, nobody has ever seen an intact Wabash.

I moved and set up a Wabash here in Dallas for an antique dealer in his showroom a few years back, it's probably still in Dallas somewhere. I had someone here on AZ asking me some questions about his Wabash a while back as well. Not many out there but they are out there.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
I moved and set up a Wabash here in Dallas for an antique dealer in his showroom a few years back, it's probably still in Dallas somewhere. I had someone here on AZ asking me some questions about his Wabash a while back as well. Not many out there but they are out there.

A green Wabash, with the foil and trim intact?

Or a Wabash-like model ? (Harrison etc)

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know if the Harrison was made only with ball return or if they also offered drop pocket? The stamp. On the inside of the base says Harrison but Ive only seen the ball return model

It would have been available with or without a ball return

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds to me if you think you have a Harrison and Mr. Bond says its extremely rare. I'd get an EXPERT RESTORER and have them check out the finish under the paint. Be very careful who you pick. Do not choose some refinish guy with a dip tank. This will be done by hand.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Harrison was an example of a "base model" table, that was produced with various options and finishes. Some of the variations even had their own official name, like the "Wabash", although the table was still the Harrison underneath the hood. See also the "Randolph"

But the Wabash was a little different. Unlike any table before or since, it was produced with a strange green foil embossed finish. Which by the way turned out to be a disaster, so it was discontinued straight away.

Nobody seems to know what the motivation was for the odd finish.

Anyway, as I mentioned above, I've never heard of an intact Wabash with the original green foil. That, of course, doesnt mean that one doesnt exist somewhere, but I do know that if one did exist, it would be damn rare.

If you see one, please let me know.

You can see the patent for the Wabash by clicking here

Last edited:

GrayBeard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this a Wabash?

I've attempted to attach a photo of a possible Wabash table with the original green foil. The color of the veneer seems to vary from photo to photo.

Attachments

• WabashTable.jpg
    WabashTable.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 569
Last edited:

9-ball B

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wabash sighting

A green Wabash, with the foil and trim intact?

Or a Wabash-like model ? (Harrison etc)

This was an actual Wabash. I have worked on just about every antique, including moving the mentioned Wabash a few times here in the Dallas area a few years back. The finish seemed to be original and pretty much intact. At the time I didn't realize how few of them were out there, or I would have taken pictures of it for my portfolio. A Dallas antique dealer named Gary Elam had it in his store the last I saw it.

Last edited: