Set a personal best tonight!

bazkook

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The following was done under American snooker rules on a 5x10 table with 6 reds. I ran a personal best of 42 points tonight. I started with a red,pink,another red,and the black, and went on to run the whole table. Before anyone belittles my accomplishment,I have only been playing snooker for about a year or so and only playing pool for about 3 years,so I consider my run a high point so far! The run was during a partners tournament and even though I didn't get into the money,I was still proud of myself!

DeHouser

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
42 is a very respectable break, and no one should be belittling you over it. Did you make the final two reds, and then the colours to clear up?

rebound

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The following was done under American snooker rules on a 5x10 table with 6 reds. I ran a personal best of 42 points tonight. I started with a red,pink,another red,and the black, and went on to run the whole table. Before anyone belittles my accomplishment,I have only been playing snooker for about a year or so and only playing pool for about 3 years,so I consider my run a high point so far! The run was during a partners tournament and even though I didn't get into the money,I was still proud of myself!

Nothing wrong with that. WTG. It's great when this sort of thing happens because it is very encouraging and really helps keep you interested in the sport.

Big Arm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congratulations! I, too, am just starting this game and would love a 42 break.

bazkook

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
42 is a very respectable break, and no one should be belittling you over it. Did you make the final two reds, and then the colours to clear up?
Thanks! Yes I made the final 2 reds along with the pink and black and then all the colors. I didn't get a good angle on the yellow to play natural position on the green so I shot a half-safety,half-offensive shot on the green,attempting to cut it in the side and get the cue ball behind the brown,just in case I missed the green. I made the green and said screw it and rolled the brown in the corner and got perfect on the blue and pink. I wasn't even going to shoot the black because the game was pretty much over but the other team told me to shoot it so I did. I guess they figured if I run off that many points I ought to finish the last color. I guess I just got in the zone and my stroke,which had been missing all night long,suddenly reappeared. I was so proud!

bazkook

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing wrong with that. WTG. It's great when this sort of thing happens because it is very encouraging and really helps keep you interested in the sport.
Thank you! I agree completely with your statement. It does feel great because I have been in a slump for the past few weeks.

bazkook

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congratulations! I, too, am just starting this game and would love a 42 break.
Thank you very much! You will get there one day. I'm an ok shooter and if I can do it,I have the utmost faith in you.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Hi,

42 is a good break. It puts you in a position to win the frame and unless your playing top amateurs or professionals, a 40 point lead is usually insurmountable against most players as long as you don't completely fall apart (which I've done more times than I'd like to admit lol.).

Well Done!

bazkook

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,

42 is a good break. It puts you in a position to win the frame and unless your playing top amateurs or professionals, a 40 point lead is usually insurmountable against most players as long as you don't completely fall apart (which I've done more times than I'd like to admit lol.).

Well Done!
Thank you! I had the game(frame) won by the time I potted the brown or blue. I know most overseas players don't like the "bastardized" version we play in various parts of the states,which leads me to the next point. In the tournament I played in,there is a rule that if you need more than 2 snookers with the balls remaining,the game is automatically over. This keeps the tournament running smoothly and games from becoming long,drawn-out safety affairs that are often unsuccessful to the trailing team. I know it's a little crazy,especially if all the colors are still on the table and it's easier to get a snooker,but it's the rules. :rolleyes:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Nice to know snooker is still being played in Georgia.
Handsome Danny Jones won the American snooker championship twice
in Georgia back in the 60's.

And you can be rightfully proud of a 42 run with 6 reds.Even if your
opponent was the world champion you turned him into a spectator
for that game.

And I like the rules you're using.I've played a lot of snooker under
many rules,including the world standard,but I think American snooker
rules are the best.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Thank you! I had the game(frame) won by the time I potted the brown or blue. I know most overseas players don't like the "bastardized" version we play in various parts of the states,which leads me to the next point. In the tournament I played in,there is a rule that if you need more than 2 snookers with the balls remaining,the game is automatically over. This keeps the tournament running smoothly and games from becoming long,drawn-out safety affairs that are often unsuccessful to the trailing team. I know it's a little crazy,especially if all the colors are still on the table and it's easier to get a snooker,but it's the rules. :rolleyes:

Well any snooker is good snooker. I have my preferences, but as long as people play that's all that matters to me.

As for that rule, it's not that bad actually. In the pro game, they usually don't play on with more than 2 snookers anyways. If I'm down by 3 or 4 snookers I may try to get them if the balls are in favorable positions, but usually I'd rather get in to the next frame and keep my potting arm oiled up. Long safety battles have a habit of getting me out of stroke.

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
The following was done under American snooker rules on a 5x10 table with 6 reds. I ran a personal best of 42 points tonight.

Congrats! You know you've achieved something, because 42 is, after all, the answer to Life, The Universe, and Everything.

bazkook

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice to know snooker is still being played in Georgia.
Handsome Danny Jones won the American snooker championship twice
in Georgia back in the 60's.

And you can be rightfully proud of a 42 run with 6 reds.Even if your
opponent was the world champion you turned him into a spectator
for that game.

And I like the rules you're using.I've played a lot of snooker under
many rules,including the world standard,but I think American snooker
rules are the best.

There aren't many people locally that know how to play the game so we kinda have our own little "snooker group",if you wanna call it that. Usually every Saturday, anywhere between 5 to 10 of us ride together to a blind draw doubles snooker tournament held in Macon,GA. The tournament used to be huge;there were often 20+ teams and the tournament would sometimes last from 5 PM Sat. evening to 3 or 4 AM Sunday morning. Lately though the number of participants have been dropping. I suspect that the majority of them don't have the time or money to come out like they used to. Anyway,I usually have a lot of fun at the tournament,whether I win or lose.

bazkook

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BTW,if anyone would like some info on the tournament I mentioned or if you're ever around Middle GA and would like to someone to play snooker with,PM me.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Congrats! You know you've achieved something, because 42 is, after all, the answer to Life, The Universe, and Everything.

42 is no longer the answer to life.
I checked with Douglas Adams and he feels because of inflation
it is now 47.487 :cool: