Stroke Speed Drill

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike,

You obviously take the game seriously and put your energy and resources into it. That's more than many do.

It would be helpful to know what material was covered in your lessons and what you agree with and don't agree with, and what you think is holding back your game.

Well, i dont want to offend anyone. nor do i want to make any posters and/or instructors mad with my comments. if you want to converse about this in private PM me your email and we can go from there.

Mike

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...and to add to Mark's last comment: If you understand the shot, and how to practice it correctly, you don't HAVE to shoot it a thousand times to get it down. Quality over quantity works better every time!

Mike, you have been instructed by some very experienced people. Yet you still do not "get it". Mark Wilson and I teach essentially the exact same thing. I think Tom Rossman probably does too. Randyg is very likely the best instructor in the country, and you backtalk him, and tell him he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Just because you want to argue that nothing "feels" right to you, doesn't mean that it's nonsense, or won't work for lots of other people. Like I told you last month...maybe you should just forget about all this stuff, and just play pool (and I really mean this in the kindest way possible). You drive yourself nuts, and in turn drive us nuts, with your crazy threads.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Yes, practice is how you improve.

The more you you understand how to perform it, and how to practice it, the easier and quicker the improvement will be.

If you don't understand it, and/or practice it incorrectly, you can limit your improvement or even create problems.

Shooting a shot a thousand times to learn it only works if you understand the shot and practice it correctly.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...and to add to Mark's last comment: If you understand the shot, and how to practice it correctly, you don't HAVE to shoot it a thousand times to get it down. Quality over quantity works better every time!

Mike, you have been instructed by some very experienced people. Yet you still do not "get it". Mark Wilson and I teach essentially the exact same thing. I think Tom Rossman probably does too. Randyg is very likely the best instructor in the country, and you backtalk him, and tell him he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Just because you want to argue that nothing "feels" right to you, doesn't mean that it's nonsense, or won't work for lots of other people. Like I told you last month...maybe you should just forget about all this stuff, and just play pool (and I really mean this in the kindest way possible). You drive yourself nuts, and in turn drive us nuts, with your crazy threads.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Well, here goes...........

First and foremost....I am not nuts. Nobody has told me I am driving them nuts. And if anyone can prove and show me where I specifically said "RandyG, You Don’t Know What You Are Talking About!" then I will send that person a reward.

Now let me explain my comments on "Shoot it a thousand times, or practice it for 5,000 times."

Obviously what I meant is that you have to spend hour after hour at the table, practicing things like this. I didn’t necessarily mean 5,000 times, or even 1,000 times. Who knows, for some 100 times might be enough. Its obvious I meant you have to actually practice "THE SHOT ITSELF" to master it and not rely on somebody's advice to work on your biceps if you want to get the shot down. Think about it. I mean, duh! I've heard over and over and over that someone got to be a good player by spending 8 hours a day at the table. I get the impression from some people that 45 minutes in one day using their system will produce the same result. and thats just not true.

And I can guarantee you I have NEVER EVER backtalked RandyG or told him he doesn’t know what he's talking about. However, yes, I have completely disagreed with some of the stuff I read on here that some posters, including instructors, post. I see so much flawed logic and poor reasoning behind some people's ideas that I feel like I need to post about it.

As an example.....I was told once I MUST look at the OB last. The analogy was "What happens if your riding a motorcycle down the middle of the road and you look over into the ditch? The motorcycle will follow the eyes, and it will end up in the ditch too!" Uh, you've got to be kidding me, right? I've ridden motorcycles and mine would continue to go straight down the middle of the road.

Then I was told "So, therefore, the cue, just like the motorcycle, will go where the eyes go!" Uh, you've got to be kidding me, right? This is the kind of erroneous logic and reasoning that I am talking about. The kind that I feel, in fairness to everyone, needs to be brought forth. And from some PMs I have received its obvious a lot of posters already realize this.

Scott, whats funny is the fact that the day we had our lesson I was attentive and tried to absorb things. I even practiced the things you showed me for a long time afterwards, and still do somewhat to this day. You even gave me kudos for being a good student. But since that time you seem to want to attack me, and I'm not sure why. RandyG even said I was babbling. But again, that’s your choice if you want to do so. Just don’t plan on any more trips to southern Indiana. You even attacked another poster and that apparently didn’t sit too well with him either.

And as far as not being able to "Get It" like you say, I think I "Got It" the very first day. I valued the lesson I took from you, and I still do. But as most are probably aware, anytime you take a lesson there are one or two tidbits or nuggets of information that are worthwhile and stick with you. There are also one or two things that just seem like a waste of time. And like I've said over and over, rolling a ball down the table to try and land it between a couple of diamonds as a way of getting speed control down just is not a worthwhile endeavor. When I see people post about how this is the greatest thing since sliced bread, well, I feel like letting people know how I feel.

And just to once again elaborate, I was told to shoot the break shot in 9-Ball like I would any other shot - keep that elbow up and still. IS THERE ANYBODY ON THE PLANET, PRO OR HALFWAY DECENT PLAYER, THAT BREAKS THE RACK OF 9-BALL LIKE THAT?????? Unless, of course, they are using that little bitty softie break.

Hope everyone has a nice day. I am looking forward to getting my new Powder Blue Simonis 860 on my Gold Crown IV installed tomorrow. Who knows, after its on I might even work on some of the Mother Drills. Some that is.

Mike

Last edited: